Motoring Discussion > QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 11

QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16418773

Dartford Crossing's QEII Bridge shut as gales forecastMotorists planning to use the Dartford Crossing are being advised of possible delays due to gale-force winds which could reach 60mph.

Kent Police said the QEII Bridge, which links the M25 between Essex and Kent, would be closed from 22:00 GMT until at least Thursday morning's peak period.

Clockwise traffic, which normally uses the bridge across the Thames, will use the east bore of the Dartford Tunnel.

Anti-clockwise traffic will be diverted to the west bore from 20:30 GMT.

The QEII Bridge had to be closed for several hours on Tuesday due to the high winds which caused widespread disruption across south-east England and led to the death of a van driver in Tunbridge Wells when a tree fell on his parked vehicle.
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - R.P.
60 MPH !!! A mere breeze that ! 93 mph recorded here a couple of days ago !
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Old Navy
tinyurl.com/72y3bdj
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Fullchat
That's a cool site!

This is all we have to offer :-(

www.humberbridge.co.uk/index.php
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Dave_
We don't even have any bridges around here! I have found a good site showing readings from a mile up the road though: www.photoweather.com/aws/

A 25mph average wind speed with a 37mph gust a quarter of an hour ago, that's quite windy for a hilly little bit of the Midlands. There's been a fairly constant rumble against the windows for the last hour.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 22:21
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - henry k
>> 60 MPH !!! A mere breeze that ! 93 mph recorded here a couple of days ago !
>>
London weather forcast at lunchtime referred to the QEII bridge closure.
The prevailing wind blows along the road but there is now a cross wind with a much higher risk of vhicles being blown over hunce the closure.
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Old Navy
>> >> 60 MPH !!! A mere breeze that ! 93 mph recorded here a couple
>> of days ago !
>> >>
>> London weather forcast at lunchtime referred to the QEII bridge closure.
>> The prevailing wind blows along the road but there is now a cross wind with
>> a much higher risk of vhicles being blown over hunce the closure.
>>

The FRB is not shut until there is an 80mph crosswind, our cars must be more stable than yours. :-)
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Pat
When it was closed on Tuesday it took Ian 2.5 hours to get from Aylseford to the bridge:(

He didn't manage to get over it loaded in the morning either, they closed it at around 6.30am just in front of him.

He's just left for Battersea and Egham this morning and it's blowing well here already, but 26 tonnes of baked beans should ensure stability!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 5 Jan 12 at 03:55
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Dog
>>but 26 tonnes of baked beans should ensure stability!<<

I think we've had enough wind lately.
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - bathtub tom
I went down to Bristol on Tuesday. MPG readout showed 37 MPG into the wind and 45 MPG coming home today!
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Zero
Nearly always the case, there is usually a Westerly blowing along the M4
  QEII Bridge shut as gales forecast - Ted

What with the telly and the papers giving lurid reports of peoples problems in this stormy weather, I despair for the British spirit.

You want to try living round here ! Our green wheely bin lid blew open during the night.
Fortunately, the bin stayed upright on the kerb but it could have meant me going out before the binmen came and picking it up !

Phew ! Narrow escape there.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts