Motoring Discussion > Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 10

Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Ambo
This is a 1000 mile report. I took delivery of my new Hyundai i10 Active 1.2 5Dr on November 7th. The deal included the usual 5-year warranty but also 5 years’ of full, car-based RAC cover, 2 years’ free servicing, a larger than expected trade-in price for my i30 and the balance at 0% finance. I wanted a small car, mostly for 60 or so mile return day trips on country roads, with some town use and the occasional 100 to 150 mile-a-day tour.

Outside. Less sexy than a Panda or 107 Pug and with funny little 14” wheels, the car really needs a strong colour and I opted for solid Electric Red. The engine noise on fire-up, is startlingly loud, heard from outside. Even the locks are noisy and there is no automatic self-lock. The body design is such that the back picks up a lot of muck in dirty weather and that the car is buffeted a lot by side winds.

Inside. There is a good, deep glove box and a very useful tray under the front passenger seat measuring about 300mm x 220mm x 60mm, although it is rather flimsy, also a handy sunglasses-size horizontal slot under the dash. There are front door pockets and three cup holders. One contains a removable vessel which looks as if it is for drinking but turns out to be an ashtray for the dedicated smoker, to hold about half a pint of fag ends. The third holder is for the rear passengers who also share the tray space, which is part of the central unit. There is a power socket as well as a cigar lighter and ports for Aux/USB/iPod. There is a good big speedo with a red mark at 30 and a smaller rev counter. The instrument display is rather anorexic with odometer, fuel gauge and two trips but no fuel “miles to go” facility. All are blue in colour and impossible to read in bright light. There is an indicator showing when to change up but following it nearly always results in a laboured engine. There is no external temperature gauge. The ICE system is so-so. Oddly, the front parking sensor has to be activated by engaging reverse.

There are seat belts for five adults but I would say that this is three adults too many. Rear access is not at all easy for me (six feet, size 11s and 90 kilos) and I have to enter big end first. The driving position is adequate but with little extra slide-space for the driver’s seat, so this is not a car to nap in and any driver over 6’ will probably not fit anyway. The rear seats will fold flat. The illuminated boot (“rear cargo area”, or “luggage room” as the i30 handbook has it) has a lift-up parcel shelf that stays up without cords and can be removed. There is a flap on the floor which lifts up to reveal a deep, extremely useful compartmented tray, with another, smaller compartment having its own (flimsy) flap. This whole assembly can be lifted out, although not easily, to expose the well for the emergency wheel with some extra small storage spaces round it, but the wheel can be removed without removing the tray.

Driving. The is a recent face lifted model and many earlier criticisms seemed no longer to apply, hence it is entertaining in the gears around town or on winding, narrow roads. It is very easy to corner, park and generally manoeuvre. One problem that was mentioned was brake binding and hence high fuel consumption. This may be down to the fact that the handbrake lever must consciously be pushed all the way down, although a warning light will show if it is not. Vision is good apart from the intrusive A pillars. Wing mirrors and all windows are electric. The windows groan when made to work but wipe clear when lowered wet. The brakes are adequate and it is perfectly capable of 70 mph cruising at about 3200 revs, with good acceleration from the willing 3-pot, chain-cam engine. However, suspension and seats are firm (Hyundai features) so bad road surfaces make themselves felt in thumping and the engine stalls easily in low gears. On the other hand, onside potholes are dealt with surprisingly well. The small-car ride is a bit fussy, so very long cruises are probably not its forte. There is quite a lot of engine, aircon fan, wind and road noise in the cab. The front seat belts are likely to trail out on exit making it inadvisable to slam the doors shut without checking. Awkwardly, the keys are separate from the transponder units although they are linked with split rings: two full sets are standard. Fuel consumption is a disappointing 39 mpg: my heavier i30, with 400 more cc to feed, gave an easy 43. It has used no oil so far, a blessing at £12 per litre although a spare pack comes with a snazzy zipped, velcro-backed cover containing in addition dipstick wipers etc. Under the bonnet (in the “engine room”) it is hard to locate the bonnet lid prop socket, especially as the manual does not say where it is.

There is not the same feeling of quality as the i30 and overall nothing much to get excited about but it will do and, as it is my 29th car and I am knocking on, it will be my last (just like the previous three or four were).

Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - kb
Have the i10 Active myself - but Automatic.

Was thrown a bit when you said '3 pot' engine. The 'Blue' version has the 3 pot and all the others have 4.

Agree with pretty much all you say. If allowed to go further on the downsides I'd include the sun visors that don't stay where you put them with the sun in your eyes (have tried all the others in the showroom and all the same). Agree with the less than spectacular mpg (last tankful was lowest ever at 31.5 mpg....but is mainly town use).

Am I allowed to repeat that my (Facelifted Active) auto. makes a droning, booming resonance at 3250 rpm especially under load? Been as far as possible to get it sorted - Hyundai Head Office have described it as a "Characteristic" and told me, in writing, they will not be doing any more about it. (Note. pre faclifted autos don't do it). I've asked if they're going to advise all future prospective buyers that on long journeys it will get wearing and tiresome and received no reply. But the auto. box is smooth and nice to drive, if not especially quick. Strange thing is, my automatic Yeti is also 1.2 but is far quicker, quieter, more comfortable, bigger, more economical, just as cheap to insure and cheaper to service. But did cost twice as much to buy.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Aretas
We have an automatic i10 which has just reached 1000 miles. Mostly used by my wife and we love it. Fuel consumption is not as good as I would like and varies hugely and depends on whether the last fill was mostly town work or a longer journey. (min 29 mpg, max 45 mpg).

I am 6'2" and have no problem at all with the driving position.

My biggest critism is that it doesn't slow sufficiently when off the throttle, needing more use of the brakes than I prefer. This I assume also contributes to the poor consumption.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Manatee
>> My biggest critism is that it doesn't slow sufficiently when off the throttle, needing more
>> use of the brakes than I prefer. This I assume also contributes to the poor
>> consumption.

Shirley a car that freewheels better should have better, not worse, fuel economy?

You need to lift off sooner :-)
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Iffy
...it will be my last...

Very realistic report, draiber, although it's a shame your new car hasn't proved more of a treat.

On the plus side, it should provide years of reliable, near fixed-cost motoring.

Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Ambo
Quite right, kb, it does have 4 cylinders.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Runfer D'Hills
Been in Italy again this week. Flew again ( must be getting old ) Hate airports. Anyway, hired a car, "cheapest one you have per favore" Hyundai i10 was the thing they produced. Thoroughly and unequivocally horrible little car. Hope they are cheap. They should be.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Zero
Oh how the mighty have fallen...
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Runfer D'Hills
Mighty? No not even slightly !

I actually quite like small basic cars in the main. Pandas are good fun to drive and the old Ka is a hoot. That thing though... yeugh ! Understeered at the drop of a hat, couldn't get comfortable, blew about like a leaf in crosswinds, desperately underpowered and had the looks of a car which had been designed by someone who had once been told what a car looks like but had never actually seen one.
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - Stuu
You need to drive a Kenari. It will put crosswinds in a better perspective for you :-)
 Hyundai - New Hyundai i10 - TheManWithNoName
Its nice to read some 'real World' reports like this instead of relying on the 1:59 video clips you get on What Car or from our old friend HJ.
Latest Forum Posts