Motoring Discussion > Low sun / Dirty glass Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 49

Low sun / Dirty glass - Runfer D'Hills
Some cars seem to suffer more than others from a build up of grime on the inside of their windows. At this time of year when we get a little sunlight it's naturally low on the horizon and of course shows the muck even more.

My Mercedes seems to accumulate this film of grime very much more quickly than my recent other cars. They managed fine with a proper clean two or three times a year whereas the E-Class needs to be done at least fortnightly.

Now, I've always cleaned the inside of my windows by using a warm wet cloth with a very little washing up liquid in the water, followed by a dry polish with a clean tea towel. Always worked for me in the past but now open to suggestions from those who have found better solutions.

Cue Stu ?!

Low sun / Dirty glass - PeterS
Are you sure it's not just because it's new? Mine's the same, but I've always found the same with new cars - once they're a year or so old then whatever noxious emisions that are coming from the new plastics/leather/adhesives inside the car seem to reduce!!

Can't help with the cleaning though - the outfit at Homebase that do the outside for a fiver with do the outside and inside for a tenner ;-)

Peter
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Iffy
...the outfit at Homebase that do the outside for a fiver with do the outside and inside for a tenner ;-)...

No one could accuse Peter of being precious about his new Merc.

Tried most methods of inside screen cleaning over the years and found none to be foolproof.

The simplest is a wipe over with a damp Flunky car cloth - as recommended (the cloth) by Stu.

On the subject of branded products, I've found Mr Muscle window cleaner to be less smeary than a couple of its supermarket equivalents.

I did wonder if it was to do with the car having spent a fair bit of time in London recently. Air pollution etc. maybe.

Edit - Aye you could be right Peter.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 14:31
...I did wonder if it was to do with the car having spent a fair bit of time in London recently...

I think the same.

My shirt collars and cuffs had black marks on them after a day's work in London.

Not had the same happen in other parts of the country.

>> No one could accuse Peter of being precious about his new Merc.

:-)

I like our cars to be clean, but don't actually like cleaning them. They do a good job; certainly better than I'd do! I've had the car about 10 weeks, and it's been cleaned outside 4 or 5 times, and inside once - due another clean inside since taking the Christmas tree to the tip though, which will also sort out the windows and the crumbs from a trip to France over New Year

Low sun / Dirty glass - R.P.
Newspaper I was told, some detergents in newsprint that de-greases glass.
Did you ever manage to figure out how to adjust the headlights for driving on the right Peter? I remember you mentioned that you thought it was possible on another thread. I might take mine to Italy in the next couple of months. Used to go with the Mondeo regularly but I cheated by just lowering the beam a bit on that. With the xenons that isn't an option. On the Qashqai ( which also had xenons) I just risked it and never got flashed or indeed stopped by any police but if it's easy to do I might as well.

Edit - Do you find it's better with a tabloid or a broadsheet Rob? Does quality have an effect?

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 14:56
>> Did you ever manage to figure out how to adjust the headlights for driving on
>> the right Peter? I remember you mentioned that you thought it was possible on another
>> thread.

Yes, it was easy! Just scroll through the menus on the centre screen (between speedo and rev counter) 'til you get to the 'settings' menu. Then scroll down to 'lights' and press 'OK'. It's the third or fourth option in there
...Yes, it was easy! Just scroll through the menus on the centre screen (between speedo and rev counter) 'til you get to the 'settings' menu. Then scroll down to 'lights' and press 'OK'. It's the third or fourth option in there...

What's wrong with card and sticky tape?

Ruddy plutocrats. :)
Trouble is, on these new fangled clear headlights it's not really clear where the card should be stuck!!
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Dave_
>> Used to go with the Mondeo regularly but I cheated by just lowering the beam a bit on that
>> What's wrong with card and sticky tape?
>> on these new fangled clear headlights it's not really clear where the card should be stuck!!

I found a guide for the Mondeo (probably a bit late for Humph):

bit.ly/ABhabS

Although the last time I went over the Channel (in a VW T5 with H4 headlights) I just lowered the beams a bit too. Anyway, how many LHD cars do you see in this country with beam deflectors???
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 18:08
Ok great thanks !
 Low sun / Dirty glass - R.P.
Edit - Do you find it's better with a tabloid or a broadsheet Rob? Does quality have an effect?

I wouldn't try it with an online edition, but a tabloid is best...not mentioning any name, perhaps something from next door's recycling box.
Humph, the following is copy/pasted from the on-line manual - as you have xenons you will have the Intelligent Light System:

Setting the dipped-beam headlamps for driving on the left/right
This function is only available on vehicles with the Intelligent Light System.
You can use this function to switch between symmetrical beam and asymmetrical dipped beam.
If you set the dipped-beam headlamps for driving on the right/left, then motorway mode and the extended range foglamps are not available.

Press the < or > button on the steering wheel to select the Settings menu.
Press the ^ or v button to select the Light submenu.
Press the OK button to confirm.
Press ^ or v to select the Dipped beams Setting for function.

You will see the selected setting: Right-side traffic or Left-side traffic.
Press the OK button to save the setting.

When you change the setting, conversion does not take place until the next time the vehicle is stationary.
Thank you !
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Ted

This later Vitara has been a reet pain in the butt with regard to it's glassware !
It rains, put the wipers on and it seems to steam up on the outside. Changed the wipers from the old one, which wasn't a problem, and it still did it. Glass cleaner ? Worked until it rained again. Got brand new wipers on now.

I think the car was bladdered with some wax preparation when it was offered for sale. The inside is as bad. Everything rear of the B posts steams up when you switch off the blowers and leave the car in rainy weather, even for just 30mins. This complete area had been fitted with darkened film which I removed. It came off fairly easily but the adhesive was awful, I had to use cellulose thinners in the end. This may be the reason it's attracting moisture.

I've largely sorted the screen out using TCut on a green nylon scouring pad ( A ' spiky sponge ' , according to my G'daughter. ) There still seems to be crap on it when facing the very low Sun.

I've had a de-humidifier in the car but it's only taken a dessert-spoonful out. I've tried all the usual suggestions on the glass, I guess I'll have to keep at it until everything's worn off !
Maybe try a mist repellent on the back side glass, like we had to do in the 60s. !

Ted
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Kevin
Ted,

go to a friendly double gazing outfit. The fitters there have an evil smelling liquid that they use to remove the stuff left by the protective film.
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Ted
>> Ted,
>>
>> go to a friendly double gazing outfit. The fitters there have an evil smelling liquid
>> that they use to remove the stuff left by the protective film.
>>

Good tip , Kevin. Thanks. There's a small indy who made me some windows a few years back...I'll pop in when I'm passing.

It was like driving a van with the film on...3/4 rear vision was very difficult. Made even easier now 'cos the rear headrests now live in the garage in poly bags....and that's where they're staying 'til the car gets sold !

Ted
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Stuu
My dad seems to suffer with this far worse than I do despite the fact I do double the miles he does.

Only difference is his age and he smokes in the car, which does make a faffing mess on the windows.

Very rare to see a frequent misting problem with non-smokers cars though - usually I get asked at the beginning of winter to do a few inside windscreen cleans, rarely any other time aside from smokers.

I clean my windows with a glass polish, which has solvents in it I think as it tears through nicotine grime with relative ease, matching the boast on the bottle. Sometimes worth giving a really filthy window a wipe with a damp chammy first tho.

Have to wonder about chemicals getting into the ventilation system in phantom misty window cases.
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Slidingpillar
My brother reckons it's the plasticiser in the plastics 'leaking out'. He may be right, the newer the car, the worse the problem seems to be.

I use Nilglass to clean, you don't need much and consequently a 500ml bottle lasts ages. (Tends to be sold in 'trade' places - mine came fron Costco).

Nilglass? Ok, I'll look out for that.
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Zero
Just use the cheapest kitchen paper roll you can find. Use it dry.
I've just used a dry tea towel with scenes of Edinburgh Zoo on it. Seems to have worked. Not convinced the creatures made any difference.
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Shiny
These horrible silicone sheen valeting products cause this film, as do volatile oil based air fresheners. Both of which have no place in a car.
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Dog
I use Mr Muscle window & glass (with vinegar) - spray it on and wipe it orf with some kitchen roll.

I puts it on me chips as well.
>> Just use the cheapest kitchen paper roll you can find. Use it dry.

I was told by an optician once never to use paper towel of any sort to clean glass, as it can scratch. Is windscreen glass harder than glasses lens glass?

Mr Muscle window cleaner for me, it's surprising how much film accumulates on the inside even though the car is no longer smoked in.
>> >> Just use the cheapest kitchen paper roll you can find. Use it dry.
>>
>> I was told by an optician once never to use paper towel of any sort
>> to clean glass, as it can scratch. Is windscreen glass harder than glasses lens glass?

Yup, so much harder they dont even compare.
>> Nilglass? Ok, I'll look out for that.

£2/litre at a couple of places flagged up on Google Shopping, or £5/500ml at Halfords: bit.ly/Atthn9
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 18:46
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Slidingpillar
>>I was told by an optician once never to use paper towel of any sort to clean glass, as it can scratch. Is windscreen glass harder than glasses lens glass?

You won't scratch glass with a paper towel, but you will scratch plastic lenses. Possibly you'll scratch the expensive lens coatings a high street optician tries to sell you, but I've never seen the need nor had them.

Clean washed hanky (ie not covered in snot) for plastic lensed glasses.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 18:55
I'll give it a try on my windscreen in the morning in that case, assuming it's not raining. Thanks.
Mind you don't scratch the elements in your "quickclear" Dave.
>> Mind you don't scratch the elements in your "quickclear" Dave

I'm pretty sure they're encased within the laminated layers. At the front, anyway :)

The rear screen is a little quirky, as well as all the horizontal heating elements there are two vertical lines dividing the screen into thirds. The bottom three horizontal lines don't work in the middle third - right where the dealer sticker goes. Not sure if it's meant to be that way?
Um...no, I er, um, took the dealer sticker off "her" Qashqai when we got it. The heated screen sort of doesn't quite, well, doesn't at all really, work at that point now...

Whistles and denies all knowledge...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 20:13
I'm pretty sure that's what they call a 'design feature' :-) Nissan know that a dealer sticker will be stuck there, and heating elements run the risk of it burning. Makes sense that they don't work there, if you think about it. That's what I'd be saying ;-)
Genius !

Interestingly (well, not really...) the last couple of cars I've bought have not had dealer stickers in them at all. The A4 I can understand - it's a convertible, so whacking a dealer sticker in would severely impact on rear vision. The MB is another matter - plenty of glazing, but still no sticker. Never even noticed, but these few posts highlighted it. I even popped out to check !!
Come to think of it, neither did my MB. Maybe it's just something they put on proletarian cars...Ducks and hides....

:-)))
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Old Navy
I recommend this glass cleaner, I have used it for years both inside and out on the car glass, it shifts dirt and grease and leaves the glass smear free. It must be good, Mrs ON uses it in the house as well.

tinyurl.com/866crdg
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 20:41
That's the same stuff SP recommended ? Check out the delivery charge tho' !!
 Low sun / Dirty glass - Old Navy
>> That's the same stuff SP recommended ? Check out the delivery charge tho' !!
>>

Just an illustration, I don't buy it from there. :-)

EDIT:- Just looked a SPs post, mine came from Costco too.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 7 Jan 12 at 20:48
The pros use Nilglass as well (no,not them - the window fitters)
 Low sun / Dirty glass - BobbyG
Have tried all sorts of concoctions and the most recent was a solution of diluted vinegar and kitchen roll to apply and then scrunched up newspaper to dry off. Came up a treat.

You have just reminded me that I need to do mine - since I got the new windscreen fitted it mists up very easily and then shows up the area where the stickers were!
 Low sun / Dirty glass - -
Smokers windows always the worse, even reformed now and again smokers..:-)

Lidl's 1:100 concentrated screenwash stuff is good for the job and works out very cheap, green bottle apple flavour and yellow bottle lemon, makes a good job of the house glass too.
Smoking? Yeugh ! Horrid, nasty habit ! Who would ?
>> Smokers windows always the worse, even reformed now and again smokers..:-)
>>
>> Lidl's 1:100 concentrated screenwash stuff is good for the job and works out very cheap,
>> green bottle apple flavour and yellow bottle lemon, makes a good job of the house
>> glass too.

Still using mine in the washer bottle, not been cold enough to put anti freeze in, let alone lash out for a set of winter tyres.
I know someone who wants rid of 4 winter tyres, would fit a Lancer shooting brake, possibly.

(Good price!)
>>You have just reminded me that I need to do mine

Wouldn't bother to rush Bobby, there won't be any sun in your neck of the woods until the week after Glasgow Fair fortnight.

Low sun / Dirty glass - BobbyG
Humph, there was some blue in the sky today!!!

I remember when I used to work East of where I live and on many mornings, there was a very low sun. At various stages of the A8/M8, especially the stretch from the Showcase, I have seen traffic grinding to an almost halt because the sun was just sitting nicely at the top of the incline and no one could see a dam thing!!
Sure it wasn't astonishment Bobby?

"Whit's that big yelly thing in the sky ?! "
Latest Forum Posts