Motoring Discussion > Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher Legal Questions
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 31

Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - RattleandSmoke
Sorry about the title, I couldn't fit the full title.

Basically I told my insurance company I do 6000 miles a year, based on the fact the previous year I had done 3500 and making allowance for that I drive much more now partly due to more confidence and partly due to being much busier.

Since my dads been sharing my car (his hasn';t been ordered yet, and his old one is scrapped) this has added an extra 100 miles a month at least, and I am doing around 7000 miles just myself.

Now we need to use the car for another funeral, this time in the far north Lakes, and a 300 mile round trip so I can see the annual mileage for this year being between 8000 and 9000 miles. So do I tell insurance company now that mileage is going to be higher, or just wait for the renewal? When I made the 6000 claim it was genuine but circumstances have changed.

I want to do everything by the book, so I suspect I need to tell them now and incur all the usual admin charges and premium hikes.

Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - CGNorwich
You are only oblige to disclose changes to material information on renewal of the policy unless otherwise specified in the terms of the policy.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Armel Coussine
It doesn't really seem necessary Sheikha. No one can really predict what mileage they are going to do in the next year. If annual mileage is a factor, and yours increases in the coming year, then you can put the estimate right next year.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - spamcan61
>> It doesn't really seem necessary Sheikha. No one can really predict what mileage they are
>> going to do in the next year. If annual mileage is a factor, and yours
>> increases in the coming year, then you can put the estimate right next year.
>>

Like AC said; you provide an estimate at the start of the insurance year in good faith.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - swiss tony
>> You are only oblige to disclose changes to material information on renewal of the policy
>> unless otherwise specified in the terms of the policy.
>>
Exceeding a stated mileage would be classified as material information....
They base the risk on the stated mileage as much as age/location/experience etc.....
"Exceeding a stated mileage would be classified as material information....
They base the risk on the stated mileage as much as age/location/experience etc....."

So they do but like I said you are only obliged to advise any changes in htat material information at renewal unless specifically stated in the policy.
>> Basically I told my insurance company I do 6000 miles a year, based on the
>> fact the previous year I had done 3500 and making allowance for that I drive
>> much more now partly due to more confidence and partly due to being much busier.

>> Now we need to use the car for another funeral, this time in the far
>> north Lakes, and a 300 mile round trip so I can see the annual mileage
>> for this year being between 8000 and 9000 miles. So do I tell insurance company
>> now that mileage is going to be higher, or just wait for the renewal? When
>> I made the 6000 claim it was genuine but circumstances have changed.
>>
>> I want to do everything by the book, so I suspect I need to tell
>> them now and incur all the usual admin charges and premium hikes.
>>
Tell them now.
Yes, you will incur admin charges, BUT if you have to make a claim, and are over your stated mileage the insurance company will probably refuse to pay out.
That would cost you more than the admin charges.
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sun 8 Jan 12 at 15:35
Are you sure ST? I don't think my insurance stops applying if I do more than my previous average mileage in a year. Insurance is fairly shark-like but it isn't quite like private clamping is it?
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - R.P.
How would they know how much mileage you've done in a given period, or do you declare the mileage on the clock at the start of the insurance year. Get your dad to insure the car for himself.
>> How would they know how much mileage you've done in a given period, or do
>> you declare the mileage on the clock at the start of the insurance year

Service history, and MOT on older cars.
By not saying anything, you may be allowed leniency on exceeding stated mileage, but is it really worth the risk?
As I said, the premium will be based on mileage, so we could all save money by understating our mileage...

Just has a search... www.choicequote.co.uk/private-car/car-insurance-tips.asp
You may be ok, but have more to pay at the end of the insurance year....
"BUT if you have to make a claim, and are over your stated mileage the insurance company will probably refuse to pay out."

No they wouldn't if your original estimate was honest estimate at the time it was made. No insurance company is going to worry about being a few thousand miles over in a year.

You can't have two policies on the same car. So if my dad drives the car, its under my policy as a named driver.

Not too happy about it, but at the end of the day the rent I pay is a lot less than commercial rates, so I can't complain too much.

I will probably tell them when I have done 6000 miles under that policy, that way I will know for certain I will go over the limit. The only way they could tell is that when it was serviced in May it was on 3300 miles, its now on almost 7000 miles and this time early next week could easily be on 7500 miles due to my aunty's funeral.

You think they would use common sense, if I end up doing 8000 then I can prove it was for honest reasons and I wasn't trying to fraud them. If however I did 30,000 miles this year, they could argue it was dishonest.

I have a friend that does 30k a year, but tells the insurance company she does 12, its never been in issue the amount of times she has had to claim the issuer has never come up.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Slidingpillar
I've always worked on the principle of overstate my mileage, playing safe and all that. While I've got two classic car policies that are limited mileage, but when I asked my broker if the insurance cared that my mileage on the every day car was significantly less than declared the answer was they didn't.

My guess is a non budget policy on a reasonably experienced driver may not care with Rattle's figures . I'd put anything up to 18000 miles in the same bracket, but 30000, I think she's taking a risk mis-declaring.

>> Yes, you will incur admin charges, BUT if you have to make a claim, and
>> are over your stated mileage the insurance company will probably refuse to pay out.
>> That would cost you more than the admin charges.
>>
Any specific examples when this has happened?
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Bromptonaut
Whether they'd reject your claim, or at least the non 3rd party element, may be a matter for debate. What is pretty certain I think is that being (in % terms) significanly over your estimated mileage will lead to questions.

The answers may disclose that you've acted in good faith, no damage done etc claim met in full. But the fact that they're having to investigate the matter will be faffy and stressful

Better to give them a call and explain.

Tomorrow.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Shiny
Best to say as little as possible to insurance companies.
The only people who seem to get punished further are those who open their mouths.
>> Best to say as little as possible to insurance companies.

My view too. Why meet trouble half way?
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Runfer D'Hills
Have a heart AC, its taken 'im weeks to think of something new to worry about !

:-)
If I were him I would be worrying about how to afford the two rare kinds of bamboo that Pandas eat...
10 days actually - remember the dental angst?
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Lygonos
Wait 'til renewal and go through a search engine again - put the details through a few times with different mileages and be amazed as it has virtually no effect on your premium, then stop worrying.
>> Wait 'til renewal and go through a search engine again - put the details through
>> a few times with different mileages and be amazed as it has virtually no effect
>> on your premium, then stop worrying.
>>
That's been my experience, when I went from 12K to 30K miles per year back in 2001 there was virtually no difference in premiums from most companies.
>>
>> >> Yes, you will incur admin charges, BUT if you have to make a claim,
>> and
>> >> are over your stated mileage the insurance company will probably refuse to pay out.
>> >> That would cost you more than the admin charges.
>> >>
>> Any specific examples when this has happened?

To be honest no.
But... insurance companies well try and find a 'get out of jail free card' whenever they can.

Here are some T&C's I found online....
www.swiftcover.com/carinsurance/policy/general-conditions/

'You must
Comply with the following conditions to have the full protection of your policy. If You do not comply with them we may at our option cancel your policy or refuse to deal with your claim or reduce the amount of any claim payment. You, all named drivers and anyone else seeking to make a claim under this policy must:

18. not act in a fraudulent manner, including if you or anyone acting for you:

fail to provide relevant documentary evidence as required, including proof of the no claims discount that you have claimed;
fail to correctly declare or update the information you have provided including:
your address where you live and your car is normally kept overnight;
your no claims discount from your previous insurer;
your car make and model and body derivative, car registration number, car transmission, car fuel, car ownership, the age of the car, the value of the car, the use of the car, any modifications to the car, the security system on the car, the expected annual mileage, the location where the car is normally kept, where the car is parked or garaged overnight;'

NOTE... fail to correctly declare or update the information you have provided including:
.......the expected annual mileage

Rattle expects to exceed his 'expected annual mileage' and thus, the way I read that T&C he MUST inform the insurance company.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Robin O'Reliant
When I had my annual haggle with Tesco Insurance a few months ago they asked what my annual mileage was and I told them no more than 15,000 miles a year. As I get very close to that I asked what would happen if I went over and the guy said five or six hundred wouldn't matter, but any more and I would be required to inform them.
>> When I had my annual haggle with Tesco Insurance a few months ago they asked
>> what my annual mileage was and I told them no more than 15,000 miles a
>> year. As I get very close to that I asked what would happen if I
>> went over and the guy said five or six hundred wouldn't matter, but any more
>> and I would be required to inform them.
>>

Thank you Robin.

In my experience (30+ years in the motor trade) it is the insurance companies that hold the cards.
They will try and find a way of not paying - or paying as little as possible - it really is not worth giving them an excuse.
The only time you will really find out how much you can hide* from them, is when you need their help...

*their idea of hiding information...... not necessarily yours.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - movilogo
Slightly above stated mileage won't be an issue.

However, to far above the limit may cause problem. But technically mileage itself cannot prove anything because someone other than the insured drivers may rack up the mileage.

I wonder why insurers don't ask for odometer figures before start of the policy.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Ted

>> I wonder why insurers don't ask for odometer figures before start of the policy.
>>

They do for my classic car policy.......never anywhere near it though and I've got a spare speedometer. I don't know how they go on with cars that don't have a speedo.
Probably do it on the MOT...if they were ever bothered.

Ted
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Clk Sec
I've recently changed insurers, and for the first time ever I haven't been asked to produce proof of my no claim discount.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Ateca chris
Sorry if this is hijacking this thread.
My insurance is up for renewel next month been on a couple of comparision sites and there is a question where they ask if you have made a claim in the last 5 years, 3 years ago i made a non fault claim which was settled which i have always declared when asking for a quote.

Last july i was in my works van driving along a country lane when a van came around a bend, i stopped he didn't because he was texting, saw me to late and braked and we had a low speed head on, causing over £1000 damage to my van he had a bull bar and no damage to his, he admitted to my boss it was his fault but the insurance companies decided it was 50/50.
Now do i have to disclose that claim on the comparison site even though it was on my bosses
policy and not mine?

Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Zero
Yes, you were driving.
 Annual milleage is going to be at least 30% higher - Ateca chris
Thanks, just done a quote with that claim and its come out £28 more.
Latest Forum Posts