Motoring Discussion > SUV vs MPV definition? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 18

SUV vs MPV definition? - BobbyG
When I bought my first ever Scenic in 1999, it was an MPV.

A new breed of cars that were built on the same platform as the hatchbacks but were higher and more versatile, each seat being able to move forward or back or indeed, be removed. So very much multi versatile.

SUVs was tradtionally the name given to 4WD "Jeep" type vehicles, things like RAV4. CRV etc.

So now we have Qashqais, ix35s, Sportages etc - what are they? Many are not 4WD so are they really SUVs?

The latest Auto Express refers to a new Civic SUV that is coming which will be targetting other SUVs like the Qashqai and the Peugeot 3008. Now I would have called a 3008 an MPV not an SUV as no 4WD available!!!

So what is the definition of each?? Is my Altea XL an SUV, a MPV or is it just an Altea Estate??
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Runfer D'Hills
Easy,

SUV = Cool ( I have a life, maybe even a "lifestyle" but I might be a bit of a chav)
MPV = Uncool ( I have kids, a mortgage, a mother-in-law... )

Oh, and as for estates...

Estate = Tasteful gentleman's transport.

:-)
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Stuu
Sports Utility vs Multi-Purpose

I suppose MPVs are a bit more focussed on the accomadation of people in the most practical sense whereas sports utility cars are more about the personal style statement - some of them arent that well designed and lack interior space esp on their given footprint.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Zero

>> Oh, and as for estates...
>>
>> Estate = Tasteful gentleman's transport.

Why thank you
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Manatee
Does it matter, except to our erstwhile contributor Alanovich?

The Outlander has 7 seats, just - it has moderate ground clearance and a lowish roofline for an 'SUV'. Pretty close to an MPV - and an estate. I always thought of my CRV as a very practical estate (which I think is what it said on the V5 IIRC).

EDIT - just seen Humph's reply. The Outlander is an estate, without question.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 8 Jan 12 at 19:56
 SUV vs MPV definition? - mikeyb
Believe that the industry call them "crossovers"

Estates are for antique dealers aren't they?
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Bill Payer
>> Believe that the industry call them "crossovers"
>>
"Crossover" is widely used in the US and seems to be applied to big estate cars, poeple carriers and SUVs. We rented a GMC Acadia which to me was every inch an SUV but GMC call it a crossover - www.gmc.com/acadia-crossover-vehicle.html . Lovely vehicle to cruise around in, but boy was it wide!
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Dog
>>Estates are for antique dealers aren't they?<<

And salemen (same thing really)
 SUV vs MPV definition? - ....
Depends on the market.
In the UK, the C4 Grand Picasso is an MPV in some European markets the 5 and 7 seaters are both called estates.
The question then is when is an estate a saloon with a hut attached and when is it a van with windows ? :-)
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Old Navy
Basically, they are all cars, the names are just marketing waffle.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - TheManWithNoName
>> Basically, they are all cars, the names are just marketing waffle.
>>
Totally agree.

SUV/MPV/MPSUV who cares?
Its whatever name the marketing people and the ads want you to think it is - they all want you to believe you can pack your high roofed Eurobox with ski's, bikes, camping gear and zoom along empty roads to get to your seaside lodge and do a bit of fishin', huntin', bikin', running along deserted beaches with your perfect white teeth etc.

But in reality everyone looks the same when sitting in a jam going nowhere fast or trying to find a car park space near the entrance to the supermarket. We shove the kids in, getting crumbs, chocolate, squashed fruit, sick all over the seats or use it to take the old contents of the loft down to the local tip. Unfortunately reality doesn't sell the lifestyle image.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Auristocrat
SUV's were originally utility vehicles targeting a different market and using light trucks as their base - commonly with four wheel drive. Over the years they've become more sophisticated and more car like. The Altea is more of an MPV.
Eg the VW SUV is the Tiguan, whereas the Touran is their MPV. Having said that the issue for VW is a bit confused as they also have the Golf Plus (a taller and more commodius Golf which doesn't seem to be a full MPV - and the Altea is based on the Golf Plus).
People like DVLA and the insurance industry see MPV's as estates. Our Mazda Premacy was classed as an estate.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Dave
In Sweden we have:

Bil - regular saloon car
Combi - estate
Halv Combi - hatchback
Stadsjeep (City Jeep) - SUV ie CRV etc
Jeep - proper offroader ie. Landcruiser, Patrol etc
Svensson bil - Volvo V70 (Svensson being 'Joe Bloggs' Mr Average)
 SUV vs MPV definition? - rtj70
>> Svensson bil - Volvo V70 (Svensson being 'Joe Bloggs' Mr Average)

But the V70 is an estate. Is that not a Svensson Combi?
 SUV vs MPV definition? - Lygonos
Marketing nonsense.

see also: "Euphemism"

Most SUVs have all the sportiness of skidmarked underpants.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - WillDeBeest
...and, as any adult who's tried to squeeze into the back seat of a Discovery knows, not all the utility.
you are not supposed to be in there, its for dog or kids. Anything mucky.
 SUV vs MPV definition? - WillDeBeest
Sorry, should have realized that was ambiguous. I meant the second row of proper seats, not those peculiar (and questionably safe) sideways flip-up things.
Ah!
Latest Forum Posts