Motoring Discussion > Black cars to be Banned? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 16

Black cars to be Banned? - Old Navy
Oh dear, where will it end?

tinyurl.com/6qyvgaa (DM)
 Black cars to be Banned? - devonite
That means That Cherry Blossom (shoe polish ) could be in the "deep-end" with thier products!!
 Black cars to be Banned? - Armel Coussine
This is just preposterous mischief making by the Daily Mail.

That paper will rot your brain ON.
 Black cars to be Banned? - Old Navy
>> This is just preposterous mischief making by the Daily Mail.
>>
>> That paper will rot your brain ON.
>>

I didn't say I believed any of it.

Its just forum fodder to give you lot something to whinge about. :-)
 Black cars to be Banned? - Iffy
Hardly the Mail's fault, unless you think they should refuse to publish the comment of the anti-racism campaigner:

"Matthew Collins, of campaigning organisation Hope Not Hate, branded the name ‘insensitive’.

"He said: ‘In this country at the moment we seem to be dealing with an explosion in racism and these are not the wisest of words to have been chosen’."

And what's not to believe?

VW confirm they have reversed the words for the UK market.

Black cars to be Banned? - Auristocrat
Other countries in Europe didn't have things like the Black & White Minstrels to relate to in terms of the Black Up! (as it is in Germany and France).
Rather than being a Wind Up! of the Mail, I think it is more of a **** Up! on VW's behalf.
VW has fallen into the trap of not researching properly when deciding on car names,
 Black cars to be Banned? - R.P.
My BMW GS is a Triple Black special edition, never thought of it in terms other than an attractive name. People need to get out more.
 Black cars to be Banned? - John H
>> My BMW GS is a Triple Black special edition, never thought of it in terms other than an attractive name. >>

Why, what's wrong with it being called "Triple Black"?

I can just about see why a sensitive soul might find something objectionable in referring to a VW "UP" in black a "Black UP" VW but can't see your point about "Triple Black"?

>> Black cars to be Banned? >>
Noooo, but VW have decided not to refer their Black version of the UP model as "Black UP".

Black cars to be Banned? - R.P.
Why, what's wrong with it being called "Triple Black"?

You've obviously had a sheltered upbringing....;-)
 Black cars to be Banned? - Harleyman
>> Other countries in Europe didn't have things like the Black & White Minstrels to relate
>> to in terms of the Black Up! (as it is in Germany and France).

You've obviously never witnessed the St. Nicholas Day parade in Amsterdam then.
 Black cars to be Banned? - TeeCee
>>
>> You've obviously never witnessed the St. Nicholas Day parade in Amsterdam then.
>>

Or most other places in Europe for that matter. I reckon it's something to do with the fact that elsewhere in Europe racism appears to be dealt with by the law, rather than by the sort of kneejerk reactionaries who a few hundred years ago would have been seeing witches everywhere.
 Black cars to be Banned? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> "Matthew Collins, of campaigning organisation Hope Not Hate, branded the name ‘insensitive’.
>>
And Matthew Collins would presumably be some bearded white middle class leftie seeing offence where no black person with more than half a brain cell would?
 Black cars to be Banned? - Mike H
Hear hear. It's these type of people that get more excited than those they think they are protecting.

Anyway, nothing wrong with up! Black - er, the "black" describes the colour, it would be slight odd to call it the up! Red, with the only choice of colour being....black :-)
 Black cars to be Banned? - Crankcase
You presume incorrectly as to his class and indeed, beard.

www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/article/1950/matthew-collins-author-of-hate-interviewed
 Black cars to be Banned? - Zero
"developing into a bit of a sad loner"

Yeeeeeeees, Hmmmmmm, I could kinda have warned him that might happen.
 Black cars to be Banned? - Cliff Pope
"Black Up" is an established range of cosmetics for people with darker skin. Perhaps the manufacturers objected to their trademark being used by VW?
 Black cars to be Banned? - Snakey
So the car is called UP! and its black in colour?

Still don't see the problem
Latest Forum Posts