Motoring Discussion > Jails must be full. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 7

Jails must be full. - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-16532477

25yr old man (on bail at the time) involved in a high-speed chase through a town on a go-kart with an unrestrained 10yr old on board.

No licence, no insurance (obviously)

3yr driving ban and a £500 fine.

Ooooh I bet he feels he's paid his debt to society....
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 12 Jan 12 at 23:28
 Jails must be full. - Iffy
Typical weedy sentence partly due, as you say, to the full jail tail wagging the sentencing guidelines dog.

I wonder what sentences we would see if I was writing stories about empty wings and jails being mothballed, instead of writing stories about overcrowding.

Jails must be full. - Falkirk Bairn
As crimes increase in number it means to get into jail you have to do something really serious. Equally the sentences are getting shorter.........multi-million ££drug baron gets 7 years - out in 3.5 yrs...............50 years ago a stealing 6 cars would have got you that.

17 years ago we were broken into 3 times in 2 years - same lot - eventually caught the 18/20 yrs old beggars - 35 offences. Community Service.

3 x courts later they were jailed. He was caught last year for housebraeking and got 6 months - his 120th offence - caught for 120 how many offences has he committed? 500 / 1,000 / 2,000?
 Jails must be full. - Westpig
The whole system is knackered.

The low life in society are fortunately fairly few, trouble is they do as they please..there is no deterrent in reality, none whatsoever.

It's only the very serious crime that get prison and even then (as stated above) the sentences are derisory.
 Jails must be full. - TeeCee
>>
>> No licence,
>>
>> 3yr driving ban

That sends a message, specifically: "Carry on as you were."
Always makes my blood boil when I see one of those reality TV Traffic police shows. They pull someone who's already disqualified and the eventual result is almost inevitably another disqualification.
Likewise the fine for not having Insurance being of a size where you have to get caught and convicted half a dozen times in a year to make it cost more than buying Insurance in the first place.

I sometimes think that the CPS could do well to start prosecuting magistrates for wasting police time......

Jails must be full. - Dutchie
We have the highest prison population of Europe.This is England and Wales.

People are getting locked up.Jails must be full.
 Jails must be full. - Iffy
...Jails must be full...

They are full-ish, although some interpretation of the figures is needed.

A con in Durham Prison told me he and lots of other prisoners preferred to share a cell - be overcrowded, according to the do-gooders - because it helped pass the time.

Jails must be full. - Lygonos
The chap in the original post was on bail at the time of the motoring offence.

Also, checking Kilmarnock's local rag - a guy with the same name who would've been the same age was convicted of using stolen bankcards in 2008.

You'd imagine a bit of previous would be seen as an aggravating factor.

Not even any community service mentioned which seems a bit odd.

I bet if I was found guilty of driving an unlicenced gokart through a town with my unrestrained child on the back I'd get no less a sentence (if fact I'd expect a fatter fine).

And I have no previous.

Honest.
Latest Forum Posts