Motoring Discussion > Speed cameras in France Miscellaneous
Thread Author: lancara Replies: 47

Speed cameras in France - lancara
Not sure if this has been covered - nothing came up with "search":

www.cameralert.com/news/french-law-bans-use-of-cameralert/

New law (similar to Switzerland) from 1 Jan 2012.
 Speed cameras in France - Zero
I have gone off camera alert big time (I have it on the Iphone)

It has a terrible bug whereby if you travel in a specs zone on a motorway, and exit mid zone it does not know you have left the specs zone and carries on bleating for eternity till you stop the program.
 Speed cameras in France - Meldrew
I have just updated my TT and this action deleted the French cameras; their display is also illegal in Germany but these were not deleted for some reason
 Speed cameras in France - swiss tony
>> I have gone off camera alert big time (I have it on the Iphone)
>>
>> It has a terrible bug whereby if you travel in a specs zone on a
>> motorway, and exit mid zone it does not know you have left the specs zone
>> and carries on bleating for eternity till you stop the program.
>>

A bug on an Apple product?
Go and wash your mouth out!
 Speed cameras in France - Dog
Apple announced today that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music!

The iTit will cost from £499 to £699, depending on cup and speaker size.

This is considered a major social breakthrough because for generations women have been complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.
 Speed cameras in France - Dutchie
You are a one off Dog..{)
 Speed cameras in France - Bromptonaut
>> Apple announced today that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play
>> music!

Bromp Junior says ROFLOL!!

>> A bug on an Apple product?
>> Go and wash your mouth out!

Its a bug in the app. Not the phone.
>>
>> >> A bug on an Apple product?
>> >> Go and wash your mouth out!
>>
>> Its a bug in the app. Not the phone.
>>
I did say ON an Apple product..not IN.... ;-)
your wriggling like a worm in an apple
>> your wriggling like a worm in an apple
>>
Not at all.... just pointing out my exact words....

Could the problem be at the CORE of the programming?
 Speed cameras in France - Dave_
We've just had satnav/tracker units put in all the transporters at work. They flag up cameras, although I never have the sound on so I don't know if it keeps on at you like in Zero's case. We do European work, so it will be interesting to see what happens in France as they're not Tomtom.

Could I be "done" just for having my camera-alert-enabled phone on my person in France then?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 21:32
 Speed cameras in France - zippy
In France, anything can happen!

Expect the police to be fluent in most types of sat nav, smart phones etc. If they suspect its use they will arrest and confiscate.

Speed cameras in France - sherlock47
Z

>> your wriggling like a worm in an apple
>>

/pedant ON

I expected you to finish the sentence.......

-surely not reverting to teen text speak at your age? :)

/pedant OFF
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 14 Jan 12 at 08:02

>> I expected you to finish the sentence.......

Did you? awww shame. Nothing sadder than unfulfilled expectations
 Speed cameras in France - Iffy
Nothing sadder than unfulfilled expectations

Speed cameras in France - Westpig
Why does anyone with a British registered car worry about French cameras?
Because they take cash from you, on the spot, for simple little things, like no documents in car, no safety jackets, sounding your horn in a town, .......................................

and if you fail the attitude test, seize your Satnav !
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 14 Jan 12 at 09:49
Does anyone have any first hand proof that the sat nav from a British motorist has been seized?
Not first hand, but try post 4 at
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1004939&d=11461.68418&nmt=

As I said, is there any proof that anyone has had a SAT NAV confiscated
>>>>Not first hand, but try post 4 at
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1004939&d=11461.68418&nmt=

Bloke moaning about being done for 750 Euros for 302KPH. That is 188MPH. Lucky he wasn't banged up!
 Speed cameras in France - lancara
Given the change in law is only 14 days old, highly unlikely.

Another website notes: "The Police (in France) are not allowed to investigate your unit GPS/Phone etc but the Customs & Excise (Dounes) are and its reported that checks when leaving the ferries are likely."
>> etc but the Customs & Excise (Dounes) are and its reported that checks when leaving
>> the ferries are likely."
>>
>>

Compared with entering the UK France is a doddle. The Frontier Police (these days in UK pre boarding) might deign to open passports but more often holding them up in windscreen is enough.

See more Douaniers on the Autoroute than at Calais or Dunkerque.
 Speed cameras in France - CGNorwich
And a lot more polite than our Border Police. At least I got a "Merci Monsieur out of the one at Dunquerque when I waved my passport at him. Our lot wouldn't even open their little window until they had finished their conversation. They managed to avoid all eye contact whatsoever and the woman responded to my cheery "Have a nice day" with a grunt and a scowl.
 Speed cameras in France - Pat
That's exactly my experience as well CG.

Pat
 Speed cameras in France - neiltoo
In October, coming back from Santander, the Officer at Plymouth smiled, and asked my wife if she had had a good birthday, and we were not the first in the queue by a long way. Nice guy.
>> In October, coming back from Santander, the Officer at Plymouth smiled, and asked my wife
>> if she had had a good birthday, and we were not the first in the
>> queue by a long way. Nice guy.

I guess like anywhere there are both jolly types and miserable bu88ers. Unlike retail you don't get extra sales through being 'sexy'.

Then of course, like the guy three cars behind me at Dunkerque last summer, you can fail the attitude test.

He got on the ferry by thr skin of but was parked on the lorry deck and would be last in the queue for the cafe.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 14:09

>> Then of course, like the guy three cars behind me at Dunkerque last summer, you
>> can fail the attitude test.

Booked a holiday in France once, Evening before departure (Brittany Ferries Portsmouth - Caen) we found out that juniors passport had expired. Phone call to the embarkation office, then to passport control at Portsmouth had us sorted. Letter picked up from BF morning of departure, quick call into passport control had us with a letter of authority to sail with junior.

Guy in the queue was in the same boat, knew it the night before - assumed he could just shout, complain and badger his journey. He went nowhere.
>> Booked a holiday in France once, Evening before departure (Brittany Ferries Portsmouth - Caen) we
>> found out that juniors passport had expired.

My Sis and BiL had similar experience. On M25 bound for Dover. He's driving and she's sorting tickets passports etc. Quick check and his expired three months ago!!

Explained at Dover - the French border police just waved them through! No trouble from ferry co either.

UK Borders 'reminded' him on way back but no issues. Wonder if he'd have had more questions to answer if he'd not been white and broad yorkshire though.
My passport has to be renewed every five years.Old passport send to London.A bit of a pain British passport ten year livespan.

Speed cameras in France - bathtub tom
Many years ago, Sally line (remember them?) had a spiral system, several cars wide through the ship. I must have been one of the first on as I was parked right against the inside edge with an exit ramp just too far to reach without doing a complete loop first.

I was the last car off that boat and the blasted French officials stopped us for a very slow perusal of all our documents. I reckon I was probably an hour behind the first car off!

Compared to the hovercraft service, now they were a brilliant example of efficiency. They must've had a fantastic turn round time.
Sally line (remember them?)

The all you can eat Skandinavian buffet. Who could forget.
>> Sally line (remember them?)
>>
>> The all you can eat Skandinavian buffet. Who could forget.

I have tried but it keeps repeating on me.
>> Because they take cash from you, on the spot, for simple little things, like no
>> documents in car, no safety jackets, sounding your horn in a town, .......................................
>>
>> and if you fail the attitude test, seize your Satnav !
>>

...in which case you're talking about a French police patrol, not a camera van or fixed camera site.

Their equivalent of scam vans or fixed cameras doesn't affect a British registered car as there's no means of contacting the reg keeper or extracting a fine.
>>>Their equivalent of scam vans or fixed cameras doesn't affect a British registered car as there's no means of contacting the reg keeper or extracting a fine.

With a European Arrest Warrant you could you end up with a nasty surprise if they ask the DVLA for details?
Unless you kill someone while flashing the camera, its not an arrestable offence.
 Speed cameras in France - Runfer D'Hills
I can't count the number of times I've driven through France but it's a lot. Been stopped for speeding a couple of times in 30 odd years of doing so but I deserved it in both instances so no real complaints.

On no occasion though have I ever been challenged on the abilities of my sat-nav, whether I've got a high-viz vest, spare bulbs, a warning triangle or have my headlamps adjusted accordingly. All they were really interested in was my willingness and ability to pay a fine.
 Speed cameras in France - TeeCee
Correct. However if you were to come over all bolshie at that point, that's when they'll decide your SatNav looks like it might be a radar detector and destroy it, and/or start counting the number of vests and bulbs you have.

I've seen the stories and the one thing they all seem to have in common is an argumentative driver.
>> With a European Arrest Warrant you could you end up with a nasty surprise if
>> they ask the DVLA for details?
>>

They don't though. Never have done yet...and neither do we.
>>They don't though. Never have done yet...and neither do we.

The day will come though. I am not looking forward to it!
Police stopped me a few years ago in Holland.They noticed the speedcamara detector on the windscreen.I didn't know hey where illegaal my own fault I didn't check.

Police was polite to me and i to them could have been a fine of 300 euro's and detector taking in.

They let me off with a stern warning.Lesson learned.
 Speed cameras in France - Meldrew
Dutchie, just to be clear, what they didn't like was a radar detector, not a sat nav showing cameras on a map screen? I am only asking as I go through Holland several times a year and don't want to be breaking the law by using my TomTom safety camera info.
Hello Meldrew the radar detector is not allowed in Holland my brothers wife warned me about this.I didn't listen .Don't worry about the Tom Tom I have got one with safety camara info.

Used mine Tom Tom through Holland got overtaken by Police cars and didn't get stopped.

The radar detector cand detect the mobile radar traps which isn't allowed in France and Holland.

I double check on a Dutch website if anything has changed I let you know.
>> The day will come though. I am not looking forward to it!
>>

It won't be happening soon.

Most British police forces can't handle all their own calls and/or the odd request from neighbouring forces...they won't be bothered with M. Gendarme's or Herr Polizei's speeding request, that's for sure....and how else will it be achieved if they get no response from any written correspondence?
The incompatibility of the legal systems of the two countries rules it out. Has been looked into but found unworkable.
 Speed cameras in France - Armel Coussine
I used to have a rough old white VW 411 Variant. When I got it the front boot cover was tattered having obviously opened at speed. So I got a navy blue bonnet lid from a breaker and put it on.

One day I was pulled for some reason. Once it was established that I wasn't going to be prosecuted or anything, I said chirpily to the copper that I had been toying with the idea of painting POLIZEI backwards on the front to make people get out of the way on the road.

He looked at the car in a very serious, po-faced way and said: 'I wouldn't do that if I were you sir. You'd just be stopped more often.'

No joy in the souls of some people. But I suppose it was good advice, well intended.
 Speed cameras in France - PR
The 2 main manufacturers of sat navs have issued guidance / patches for driving in France...

uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/~/is-the-tomtom-speed-camera-service-legal%3F

and

www.garmin.com/uk/extras-camera-alerts/#france

Latest Forum Posts