Motoring Discussion > M25 again, Friday 13th... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 12

M25 again, Friday 13th... - Armel Coussine
Avoided Hammersmith flyover junction by running up M25 to M40 and coming into Islington that way.

A mistake evidently. M25 at its worst, even came to a halt briefly a couple of times. M40 into London just as bad. Half the distance to Cambridge, took the same length of time. Where do they all come from? Why are they coming into London instead of fleeing it to their comfortable hidey-holes in the home counties? Just to annoy me obviously.

Not best pleased I can tell you.
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Bromptonaut
But if you're going to Islington why use M4 or M40? Shirley stay on M25 (or go other way round) and down A1 or A41?
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Dave_
I left Crawley at around 1.30pm today and drove up the M23, round the M25 and up the M1. Apart from 5 minutes of brake lights around the M40 split I was on the 56mph limiter the whole way :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 22:43
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Zero
>> But if you're going to Islington why use M4 or M40? Shirley stay on M25
>> (or go other way round) and down A1 or A41?

because its longer?
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - BiggerBadderDave
"because its longer?"

That's why she married me.
I didn't check but I would guess coming the way we came would have put 10-15, perhaps 20 miles on our normal 54 or so. Going round the north side would have been another 20 or 30.

I think it was a mistake not to come the usual way, A24 A3 turn left top of hill Castelnau Hammersmith Bridge take it from there. But even that would have been a pain today because everywhere was although the Euston Road and Pentonville Road were fine. But we were here by then pretty well. And quite frankly we were coming at virtually the worst moment of the week even on a normal non-accursed sort of Friday. Morning rush hour would have been much better because real commuter traffic knows what it's doing, while Friday evening shops'n'shows carp doesn't really. It did in my day anyway. But, you know, needs must when the devil drives so to speak.

Hi there BBD. When are you going to tell us about your alien abduction experience?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 14 Jan 12 at 02:23
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Boxsterboy
The flyover opened Friday morning to light traffic and it was fine. (sorry).
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - -
Its the semi retired lie in that caused your horrible journey AC.

Friday mornings are usually blissfully quiet on the roads, but plan to be at your destination before 12.30 or 1300, after that the lemmings take a sniff of something and go out and do what lemmings do.

You sound as if you hate non essential (puts bread on my table so essential) driving as much as i do, as you do the Sussex/Islington run regularly would it be too expensive to get some sort of senior citizens card or buy in advance and use the train....i'd use the train all the time if it wasn't so blasted expensive, i'm not sure what discounts might be available so feel free to be as abusive as you want to be:).
It's true gb that I keep very late hours at both ends of the day, but that wasn't the reason why we chose to drive into London at the worst moment of the week. There were other reasons. Can't remember what they were, but they existed...

Of course the best time for going anywhere is the small hours, basically 1 am to about 5... Only problem then might be bored traffic plod pulling you on the offchance...

Oh, and I don't hhate non-essential driving at all. Indeed for many years I did it for relaxation. Used to explore bits of London I didn't know in the small hours.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 12:12
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Dog
>>Indeed for many years I did it for relaxation. Used to explore bits of London I didn't know in the small hours<<

Isn't that what they call kerb crawling Sire?

:o)
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - Dutchie
A.C. Kerb crawling? One call and homeservis good little bussiness.>:)
 M25 again, Friday 13th... - TeeCee
>> But if you're going to Islington why use M4 or M40? Shirley stay on M25
>> (or go other way round) and down A1 or A41?
>>

Because if it's slow between the M4 and M40, it'll inevitably be really slow north of that point and a car park in the vicinity of Watford.
Anyhow, only stopping twice on that section doesn't qualify as "worst", that would be crawling pace with frequent stops over the entire distance. I used to use that section regularly.
Back to Sussex by normal route on Sunday evening. Left Notting Hill just after 7, here by 8.20. Two or three appalling yokel 40mph mimsers compensated for by a few proper grown-up drivers on the A29, Yee-HAH!, but it didn't feel like that at all.

However as we drew near here, herself commented that we had made very good time. 'Alarmingly' good was the term she used, in that dry tone one knows so well...
Latest Forum Posts