Motoring Discussion > MOT due in March - any advice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 17

MOT due in March - any advice? - SteelSpark
Hi,
The Mondeo is due its first MOT in March, and I just wondered if you guys had any advice.

So far I have had all of the services done by the Ford dealership that sold it to me. I seem to remember somebody mentioning that I should keep having them done at a Ford approved centre for the first 3 years, and then maybe move somewhere else after.

I just wondered if you guys had any advice on the MOT (where to get it done, what to look out for etc), and also about future servicing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Zero
The "where" depends on where you live I guess. Personal recommendation is the key here, I use a small place that has one MOT bay and one Workshop bay. I figure they cant fiddle an MOT failure to keep busy because they get all the work they can deal with from genuine failures!

As for what to look out for

www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

Here is the testers manual. In the hours before you go to your MOT, check all the things you can do easily (tyres, lights, horn, wipers, washers etc etc) stupid to fail on any of those.

Then take the long way to your MOT place, preferably somewhere you can drive hard and fast at high revs, get the engine nice and hot and blow out the crud for nice reading on the gas analyser.

Thats what I do, got mine due at the end of this month and will be doing the same again.

(actually I wont, I will be throwing on some brake pads - they are a pass but look a little "thin" to me)

MOT due in March - any advice? - henry k
I try to give my car a wash and a vacuum / tidy up inside prior to my visit.
I trek to a MoT place that is a stand alone outfit with no repair bays or association with the repair trade.
Where do you go H?

I use the MOTSHOP in Addlestone.
 MOT due in March - any advice? - henry k
Where do you go H?

www.berkeleymotandtyres.co.uk/page/berkeleymot

They have been there 30+ years and I have continued to use them as they are good bunch.
Recently they have added an instant number plate service which is obviously useful ( but not looking for business.) The recent tyre bay ( shed) is supported by tiny number of popular sized tyres so no big money spinner.
I support them and they order tyres when I need them.
 MOT due in March - any advice? - -
I got the MOT done at the same time as the third service at the supplying main dealer on the pick up, for more reasons than just convenience.

They've serviced it from when you bought it and it should still be under manufacturers warranty, should the MOT test discover something that is worn or broken then they can simply replace the item and should be billing Ford unless its an obvious wear and tear part.

That third MD service should also help with goodwill should something go wrong once out of warranty.

Why check the tyres wipers lights etc before the MOT?, its only a normal motoring day, a proper motorist as found here;) would know that everything on their car was correct at all times, not check it just for an MOT test.:-)

edit..PS beat me to it.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 11:25
Thanks Zero, much appreciated.

I'll check the things you mention and take it out for a run as you suggest.

I'm in Enfield, so any recommendations in the area would be appreciated.

I'm going to give the dealership a call to get a quote too. Because my service is due at the same time, should I consider finding somebody reputable that can do both?

MOT due in March - any advice? - PeterS
Assuming it's still under warranty as its under 3 years old I'd have the first MOT done at Ford. That way, assuming it doesn't fail on consumables like brakes/tyres/wipers, pretty much everything could be fixed under the remaining few days of warranty cover!
good point
>> Assuming it's still under warranty as its under 3 years old I'd have the first
>> MOT done at Ford. That way, assuming it doesn't fail on consumables like brakes/tyres/wipers, pretty
>> much everything could be fixed under the remaining few days of warranty cover!

Ah, OK, thanks for that.

As far as I know it is still under warranty, so maybe the dealership would be the best bet.
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Iffy
...so maybe the dealership would be the best bet...

It's the only sensible course of action.

The CC3 is due its first MoT in March as well, and it will be going to the dealer.

I might not be, if they are still offering their collect and deliver service.

MOT due in March - any advice? - Clk Sec
I prefer to stick with my main dealer for both servicing and MOT. I take the car to them just once a year for its service and they drive it a mile or so to the nearest test centre.

They also provide, free of charge, a MOT test insurance for the following year.

It works very well for me as my (nearly a decade old ) barge still runs extremely well.

If you have a good, reasonably priced, main dealer. I would stay with them.

Now, where’s L’escargot when you want him?
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Old Navy
The dealer I bought my car from does a "Free MOTs for life" on all cars bought from them if they do the services. On my previous cars a busy local indy who always has plenty of non MOT work did them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 13:10
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Iffy
I have a vague memory of my first MoT being included when I bought the car.

It will be worth SteelSpark's while to check his paperwork to see if he has something similar.

MOT due in March - any advice? - mikeyb
Use a local garage on an industrial estate around the corner for MOT's - they have a good reputation locally and refuse the discount the price of the MOT. They also have a fair interpretation of the MOT rules - i.e. if something is marginal they tend to pass it with a word in your ear that you need to get it sorted rather than being very black and white about it all.

For me its worth the 50 odd quid rather than hunting around for a cheap deal
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Runfer D'Hills
Have you really had your CC3 nearly 3 years Iffy? Gosh, doesn't time fly? They do say that happens with age of course. Soon be Christmas at this rate !
 MOT due in March - any advice? - Old Navy
>> Soon be Christmas at this rate !
>>

Saw a TV advert for Easter chocolate things today. :-(
 MOT due in March - any advice? - CGNorwich
Just had a nice buttered hot cross bun and a cup of coffee
Latest Forum Posts