Motoring Discussion > How much will it depreciate? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 18

How much will it depreciate? - Iffy
A Kia, the size of a Superb, and it's got a boot.

Remember the 'two for the price of one' offers on the Magentis?

About the only thing the Kia Optima has in its favour is it has a diesel engine, albeit a small one.

Oh, and the man in the hat likes it:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-optima-2012/

How much will it depreciate? - Focusless
>> Oh, and the man in the hat likes it:
>>
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-optima-2012/

Quiet a heavy penalty for taking the auto rather than the manual:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-optima-2012/?section=performance

1.3 secs on the 0-60, 10mpg on the consumption and £60 on the VED assuming the figures are correct (looks like typo in the emissions).
 How much will it depreciate? - -
I'm disappointed with the car as shown, i was looking forward to this model, i've seen some of the road tests in the US on Youtube.

The cars seemed sleek and nicely proportioned, and well appointed inside, then this horrible great lump of a car appeared, can barely recognise the car as being Optima as i know it, is appears to be a different shell altogether or did those hideous wheels and far too stylised front fog lights change the car so very much.

From being previously penciled in as used replacement in the future it's been downgraded to not a hope in hell category, far too big, ugly, too bling.

Maybe its the pics, hopefully it won't be as bad in the flesh.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 12:19
 How much will it depreciate? - Zero
Grief, that's a horrid looking thing from the front. It kinda screws up its eyes and purses its lips in the same disagreeable way my (now dead) MiL used to.
 How much will it depreciate? - Old Navy
Lots, just like all cars.
 How much will it depreciate? - lancara
Surprised it has a boot rather than a hatchback - for some reason sub-premium cars in this sector need a hatch, whilst premium must be booted (think - BMW Compact, Merc Sports Coupe).

Given this is a shrinking segment of the market, will need to be sold to business or rental market as large discounts
 How much will it depreciate? - Iffy
...Lots, just like all cars...

Lots more than some, I'll wager.

Could be a good used buy, were you in the market for a nearly new large saloon.

The Hat sees it as a close Superb competitor.

Comparing the price of a six or nine month old example of each will be instructive.

How much will it depreciate? - Old Navy
I wonder if there will be an estate version, I prefer the look of the Hyundai I40 tourer.
 How much will it depreciate? - Clk Sec
>>I prefer the look of the Hyundai I40 tourer.

Me, too.
 How much will it depreciate? - mikeyb
I think it looks OK - nothing more than OK though. Would make an OK buy as a 6 month old ex demo / hire car as long as you get the balance of the 7 year warranty and just run it into the ground.

Agree the i40 is better looking though
 How much will it depreciate? - Meldrew
50% in three years is about the norm, unless the list price is heavily discounted as Citroen used to do>
 How much will it depreciate? - BobbyG
Suzuki are also bringing out a luxo-barge but its only available with a 2.4 litre petrol engine!
Can't see that being a huge success!
 How much will it depreciate? - Zero
Looking at that car again, it looks like a cracking basic shape and proportions, with some of the most hideous styling lines I have ever seen.

Its a complete shocker.
 How much will it depreciate? - movilogo
I drove Magentis once and quite liked it.

Optima looks good to me but why no estate version? A 3-yr old Optima with 4-yr warranty remaining can be a cracking deal.

Hope it won't be sluggish with 1.7 L engine.

How much will it depreciate? - WillDeBeest
...some of the most hideous styling lines I have ever seen.

Seen the magazine adverts for the new MB B? The lines on that make the creases on the E (even the coupé - wince) seem tasteful by comparison.
 How much will it depreciate? - Boxsterboy
Agree, but I saw one the other day and the lines didn't stand out as much as they do in the advert. Still all wrong, though. What is it with Mercedes' 'styling' these days?

Regarding depreciation, it's pretty simple really. The more expensive the car, the more it will depreciate.
 How much will it depreciate? - Dave_
>> cracking basic shape and proportions, with some of the most hideous styling lines I have ever seen

Looks like a Chinese copy of a Lexus to me.

Give it 3 years and a cosmetic update, it might turn out quite nice looking :)
 How much will it depreciate? - -
If you have a poke nose on Youtube at some of the road tests in the USA you find some of these with far nicer wheels, and without the camp strip lights just above the fog lights, and more importantly in decent colours, they really look quite nice with less bling.

The colour of HJ's test car reminded me of '70s Hillman Avengers in electric blue, not the best car to emulate.

How much will it depreciate? - WillDeBeest
What's wrong with the blue? Hardly electric - more sapphire. I like it - preferable to the endless, monotonous shades of grey that are everywhere these days.
Latest Forum Posts