Motoring Discussion > Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 11

Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - Meldrew
Production ended with £830 million spent on development, 3000 sold in 7 years and a final loss to Mercedes of £275K on every one they sold. Are they a bargain second hand I wonder?
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - Bagpuss
I saw a Maybach sitting in a used car lot in Munich about 6 months ago in a 2 tone maroon/ black colour scheme that must have seemed like such a good idea at the time.

It was a slightly upmarket used car lot, but it still seemed strange seeing this flagship of German automotive engineering surrounded by used 5 Series BMWs and E Class Mercs.

It was on offer for 95,000 Euros. Not exactly a bargain, but it was around 440,000 Euros new.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - henry k
It took them 10 years to work out that they were making no progress against RR, Bentley etc. especially when promoting an odd colour scheme on a strange shaped vehicle?

anything-on-wheels.blogspot.com/2011/12/daimler-decides-to-shut-down-maybach.html
Best not click on the image as it just makes it loon even worse.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - sooty123
I think it was on the cards for a while. They never sold anywhere in the numbers, I never really liked how they looked looked a bit of a blob at the front nothing flowed right. I don't think they got the marketing right, I think it was seen as an overpriced S Class. Not many knocking about second hand £100k for an 8 year old one.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - Stuu
When the S-Class answers just about every question you can ask of a luxury saloon, its hard to see the point.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - WillDeBeest
Couldn't you make the same argument against RR or Bentley? And yet they seem to have sold well over the same period. I think it's more to do with poor branding - luxury brands depend on recognition, yet most people have probably never heard of Maybach. (That includes the iPhone dictionary, which corrected it, bizarrely, to 'layback'.) Those that have hear 'Germany', '1930s' and start thinking of things they'd rather not associate themselves with.

Incidentally, aren't Mrs Windsor's Bentleys maroon and black? They're not pretty either, I have to say.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - TeeCee
Yes, but a Royce looks like a Royce and a Bentley looks like a Bentley.

A Maybach looks like an "S" class knockoff from China to me. I think it's the massive chromed fireplace on the front, which has the whole "pork pies at a Jewish wedding" thing going for it.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - movilogo
>> I think it's more to do with poor branding

I wonder what would have been the result if Merc branded it like Mercedes Z class :-)

Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - PeterS
>> When the S-Class answers just about every question you can ask of a luxury saloon,
>> its hard to see the point.
>>

It's not exactly exclusive though is it. The problem is the Maybach looks like a badly stretched old shape 'S' class, and people spending north of £300k aren't stupid!
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - CGNorwich
"people spending north of £300k aren't stupid!"

Rich doesn't equate with bright.

Anyone spending £300,000 on a car when you can get all the luxury you need for far far less makes a good case for being stupid in my book.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - Bromptonaut
See one up the road near work occassionaly. Probably the toy of a rich lawyer or his equally rich client.

As somebody else says it looks like a knock off of a big Merc. Rather have the real thing and a recognisable badge.
 Maybach - End of the Road for Maybach - PeterS
>> Anyone spending £300,000 on a car when you can get all the luxury you need
>> for far far less makes a good case for being stupid in my book.
>>

It might be all the luxury you need, but is it all the luxury they want!!
Latest Forum Posts