Motoring Discussion > Ideal Car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 42

Ideal Car - Boxsterboy
Everyone has a different idea of what their ideal car is, and that ideal car may well change. But tonight I think I might have seen my ideal car. It was a lightly stretched current model Range Rover with 3 rows of sumptuous leather seats. Not a silly limo stretch, just a subtle extra few cm that most people wouldnt have noticed. Assuming the seats fold like a standard Range Rover, I think this could well be my ideal car.

Just so long as someone else is paying the fuel bills.
 Ideal Car - legacylad
Vantage Roadster.
On winter tyres.
With a tow bar.
All I could ever want.
End of story.
 Ideal Car - Stuu
Biggest diesel Merc B-Class for me if money was any kind of consideration.

Dream cars are often not ideal, thats why they remain dreams. Mines an Aston too, Rapide though.
 Ideal Car - Robin O'Reliant
Ford GT40, and the money to run it.

Who cares about practicality when something looks that good?
 Ideal Car - Runfer D'Hills
Let's see now, comfy, lots of toys, huge loadspace, fast, frugal, automatic, RWD, paid for by someone else.

Oh yeah...

:-)
 Ideal Car - Dave_
I spent a few hours in the week with a fellow who successfully sells premium cars for a living (think footballer/lottery winner material). The conversation turned to our ideal cars and he told me that although many of the cars he sells excel in one area or another, if he could have only one car for all occasions it would have to be either a Range Rover Vogue or Porsche Cayenne Turbo.
 Ideal Car - legacylad
Ye gods...noooooooooooooooooooo
 Ideal Car - Westpig
There's no such thing, there's a compromise needed for all of them.

Something fast isn't economical, handling has no comfort, useful space has no style, etc.
 Ideal Car - henry k
>> There's no such thing, there's a compromise needed for all of them.
>>
>> Something fast isn't economical, handling has no comfort, useful space has no style, etc.
>>
And that may ignore the need to park it in a multi storey carpark with skinny bays.
 Ideal Car - Dave_
>> that may ignore the need to park it in a multi storey carpark with skinny bays

I transported a Ferrari 599 in the morning and a Discovery 4 in the afternoon - the 599 was wider!
 Ideal Car - Focusless
Focus ST170 estate, obviously :)
 Ideal Car - R.P.
Or a Volvo - T5 V50 - a Gentleman's carriage with tartan rugs !
 Ideal Car - Dave_
>> Focus ST170 estate, obviously :)

Mondeo TDCi 6-speed hatch, naturally ;)
 Ideal Car - Avant
"Biggest diesel Merc B-Class for me if money was any kind of consideration."

Stu, you'd never say that if you'd owned one. Comfort, space and practicality were all excellent but I couldn't live with:

- the constant drone from the ridiculously noisy diesel engine (mine was a B200 CDI)
combined with CVT (a manual might be less oppressive but still noisy)

- the boneshaking idling speed of about 600 rpm which was set at the factory and
apparently couldn't be changed

- the clap-hands wipers set up for LHD with the driver's wiper shorter than the passenger's,
and leaving a huge unwiped area at the edge of the screen.
 Ideal Car - -
I don't really know what car i would buy now if given the ideal choice..

Auto, full time 4WD, fast but extremely comfortable and easy to drive, able to soak up any and every road surface, totally reliable high quality good visibility, oh and good dealers.

Latest Amazon with the V8 Diesel, no other vehicle required.
 Ideal Car - Dave_
>> Auto, full time 4WD, fast but extremely comfortable and easy to drive, able to soak up any and every road
>> surface, totally reliable high quality good visibility, oh and good dealers.

The Range Rover Evoque Si4 I drove the other day :)
 Ideal Car - R.P.
Good test in this month's CAR magazine on the Evoque - very competitive with the equivalent Audi
 Ideal Car - -
>> The Range Rover Evoque Si4 I drove the other day :)
>>

er no ta, that is one ugly car which considering its all about image is a bit of a drawback.
 Ideal Car - R.P.
Still quite capable off-road according to CAR
 Ideal Car - corax
OK, nothing is perfect but something like a Volvo 850 estate with rear wheel drive and D5 engine. Good looks, good handling, economical, sounds good, comfortable, useful and no torque steer.
Sounds a little bit like an E Class estate Corax...

Ideal Car - DP
All of mine cease to be ideal as soon as fuel costs come into it.
That aside, a BMW M5 F10 please. Ticks every other box.
 Ideal Car - Dave
A brand new 80 series Land Cruiser diesel. Only this time I'll take a bit better care of it from the beginning.
 Ideal Car - corax
>> Sounds a little bit like an E Class estate Corax...
>>
>> :-)

Ah, but are the seats as good as Volvo's? Besides, I've heard the accountants have taken over at MB.

I'm sure that yours will be faultless though, driven as it is by a legend..

:)
At least you were gracious enough to prefix "end" with "leg" rather than "bell"...

:-))
 Ideal Car - corax
Don't be so hard on yourself...

I don't know why I picked the 850 'cos I haven't even driven one, unlike your good self. Might be a huge disappointment, but somehow I doubt it (having owned an Audi 5 cylinder).

I liked it very much at the time but suspect it might disappoint now. Maybe not of course. I'd happily tool around in an old 850 estate if I could afford to retire....

Ideal Car - Dog
www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203442267319

postcode removed from link
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 22 Jan 12 at 17:56
 Ideal Car - Roger.
A free one!
Tell you what, at that price, that could indeed be an ideal car for someone if it stays screwed together for a year or three.
 Ideal Car - Phil I
Looks very tidy in the pics. Only downside is fuel consumption.If you are not a mile eater
well worth a punt.
 Ideal Car - corax
>> Only downside is fuel consumption.

It's a diesel, the earlier Volvo's had the Audi unit found in the old A6 and VW Transporter's. An excellent engine if maintained - I see the mileage isn't noted on this one.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 22 Jan 12 at 19:32
 Ideal Car - Focusless
>> >> Only downside is fuel consumption.
>>
>> It's a diesel

...but Autotrader gives the combined mpg as 35 which seems a bit low.
 Ideal Car - corax
>> ...but Autotrader gives the combined mpg as 35 which seems a bit low.

Mechanic at work had an Audi A6 auto with this engine, he was getting low 40's at least - the car had over 200k. The reviews at the time stated 45mpg for the six speed manual not trying, and up to 60mpg on a long cruise - they were fairly noisy but had exceptional torque and economy. He loved it, but wanted a Land Rover project and gave it to a family member who's still driving it.

I can't believe the autobox is still working 'cos they were never much good on the 100's. Maybe Audi modified the later ones.
 Ideal Car - Dog
Thanks Dave - it's my brothers p/code ;)
 Ideal Car - Boxsterboy
>> >> totally reliable high quality good visibility.
>>
>> The Range Rover Evoque Si4 I drove the other day :)
>>

I'm sorry, but I don't see how a Range Rover can ever be called totally reliable, and the Evoque certainly can't have good visibility with its letter-box sized rear window.
 Ideal Car - TheManWithNoName
Sometimes I like to think about some of the cars I've owned or driven and pick the best bits of each to create my ideal car.
I'd like a car with;
The seats from my X reg Pug 406
The load space of my mk2 Mondeo estate, oh and its heated front screen.
The power and economy of the engine from my 2002 Golf TDi 130.
Dashboard and interior of a mk3 Mondeo Zetec.
Nippiness of a Skoda Fabia 1.2.
The mechanical simplicity of a 1979 Vauxhall Chevette.

Now that's some hybrid!
 Ideal Car - Focusless
God yes - the 200bhp TFSI from our old Leon in the Focus... might need to do something with the brakes though
 Ideal Car - apm
E63 AMG estate. In black. With all of the toys.

No faster way to transport a wardrobe. :-)
 Ideal Car - Focusless
Was reading Metro on the train this morning and they had a road test of the revised Audi A5. Perhaps a bit boring for some of you but as the owner of an 11 year old Focus it's definitely something I can aspire to.

And the figures looked amazing - I've just downloaded the brochure from the Audi site and to summarise:

Model: A5 Coupe 2.0 TDI 6 speed manual
0-62: 8.2s (multitronic 7.8)
Top speed: 143mph (140)
Combined mpg: 61.4 (60.1)
CO2: 120

I mean, really? Big-ish car doing an 8 second 0-60 and returning 60mpg? (Even the urban is 51.) And it doesn't look too shabby either; it's the stuff of dreams. Well, mine anyway :)

(I'm aware BMW and/or Mercedes might do something similarly amazing - I haven't checked.)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 21:14
 Ideal Car - Focusless
Just looking at some of the figures for other A5s in the range and you'd have to go up to the 245ps 3.0 TDI quattro to find one whose (lack of) mpg approaches that of my Focus - the A5 'only' does 38.7 on the urban cycle, which I can just about achieve in the Ford given a long enough stretch of empty motorway. Some way off its 5.9s 0-62 though...
 Ideal Car - henry k
Not so sure about the colour
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201201439451776

link shortened as it was too long for my old screen
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 18:28
 Ideal Car - WillDeBeest
Even the enormous (and better-looking, to my eye at least) A7 is rated at 135g and 55mpg. That, and the handsome hatchback rear end, put it squarely into Ideal Car territory for me. I just have this nagging fear it'll ride like - well, an Audi.
Latest Forum Posts