Motoring Discussion > shifted another car insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: - Replies: 13

shifted another car insurance - -
What are NFU playing at are they coming out of the car insurance business?, we don't mind paying a fair price for good quality but for the second time within 6 months the renewal has come in at a ridiculous quote.

They wanted a whisker under £600 for my old Benz, so i quickly had a poke nose through one of the comparison sites and will be renewing with Admiral for £288 or £313 if we don't go ahead with the multi car when the Citroen is due in August, and thats with Admiral being fully aware of the non standard wheels and the LPG conversion.

I like NFU and the service really is second to none, but i can't justify chucking me hard earned away quite so quickly, i could ask them to reduce it but not a hope they will halve it.

Wonder if the next buildings and contents renewal will see another shift.
 shifted another car insurance - Clk Sec
>>What are NFU playing at are they coming out of the car insurance business?

I wondered that myself a couple of years ago after completing their online enquiry form, when, as far as I can remember, I was informed that their local office would contact me direct. But I heard nothing then, nor did I hear anything from them the following year when I tried again.
 shifted another car insurance - Bill Payer
I live in a rural area and people had told me they used NFU. They were 3 times the price of other quotes and the girl who called me still wanted to go through their features and benefits line by line.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 14:47
I can't quite understand why, yes they were never cheap but up until about 3 years ago they were probably 20 to 30% more expensive than other reasonable companies (there are some who i wouldn't touch) but i was quite happy to pay the extra for the unbeatable service and fair play.

When we had the pick up they were as good as the others who would quote for such a vehicle, but in the last 2 years their prices have escalated, they did explain about fraudulent and scam whiplash type claimants ruining things for all but till the insurance companies stop paying out willy nilly this will always be a problem.

Could understand it if we as individuals came up as claimsRus people, do they not look at existing customers and make a sensible judement who they want to keep (maybe they did and they don't)...do any insurance companies do this?, if not it seems odd.
 shifted another car insurance - Dave_
My old employers had 15-odd lorries on a blanket NFU policy. Even though they (the haulage co) went under I'm sure they wouldn't have paid that much over the odds.
>I'm sure they wouldn't have paid that much over the odds.
>>

Commercial vehicle policies are quite reasonable under them, the pick up was insured as such, some owners recommended DL and when i entered my details the quote looked initiallygood, however by the time i'd added courtesy car and reduced the excess to non football pool winners numbers etc NFU was cheaper.

I regret leaving them and hope that they become a little more competitive as before, i would like to return.
 shifted another car insurance - Iffy
...and hope that they become a little more competitive as before...

They will when you become a new customer again.

shifted another car insurance - R.P.
I got a very non-competitive quote for them, not good considering my rural pretensions..
>> They will when you become a new customer again.
>>

hehe, yes probably so, but there were competitive for years, this increasing the premium by £100 a year is only the last 3 or so.

I'll let you know what figure they manage to dream up for buildings and contents and dog this year.

edit
..I got a very non-competitive quote for them, not good considering my rural pretensions..

see even the Squire isn't wanted.;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 22:55
 shifted another car insurance - R.P.
:-)
 shifted another car insurance - Boxsterboy
RSA wanted nearly double for the S-Max, so via Moneysupermarket I've gone to Admiral and will move the others when they are due to a multi-car. What made me laugh was one of the quotes on the comparison list was for over £10,000. If they don't want the business, why even bother quoting?
 shifted another car insurance - Bill Payer
>> What made me laugh
>> was one of the quotes on the comparison list was for over £10,000. If they
>> don't want the business, why even bother quoting?
>>
I always wonder exactly who these companies end up insuring? Or are they happy to have just a few customers paying insane premiums. :)
 shifted another car insurance - Zero
I just did a quick on line price check.

Quotes range from £293 to £1908!!!
 shifted another car insurance - CGNorwich
Depends on what sort of book of business they are after. Some underwriters thing there is more money in high risk drivers with corresponingly high premiums. Some only want middle aged drivers with maximum NCD. Some don't like performance cars. They simply price out the business they don't want
Latest Forum Posts