Motoring Discussion > Illusions and Hazards. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 9

Illusions and Hazards. - Bromptonaut
Been up to Daventry for weekly shop, returned via A45 at around 16:00. Conditions OK, still daylight, blustery and overcast but brighter to south and west.

Just before Dodford several bright flashes like headlights. MAde be jump some, expected a nutter behind or perhaps emergency vehicle with alternate flashing headlights - nothing. Then again flash, flash, flash.

Suddenly twigged, setting sun had dropped into clearing sky and the flashing effect was effect was rays being broken by trees/hedges and gateways.

Any other experiences of odd illusions/distractions?

Illusions and Hazards. - -
I hate the winter sun, even at midday its so low in the sky it causes real problems between trees buildings vehicles especially when it reflects off the wet road as well.

Other distractions for me which are getting worse as they become more popular are LED lights with their high speed flicker effect...HID lights fitted to idiots cars with the beams all over the shop and modern xenon lights that cause the prism effect at the dge of the beam pattern flickering blue flashes in your eyes, oh and flickering DRLs to add to the misery...how did we manage to see each other (especially unlit pedestrains) when we had normal lights.

By the way, we had the discussion on rear lights and others recently, i had to stop a bit sharpish on Friday when a car stopped dead to turn right and indicated afterwards, the rear indicators on latest Astra are small and swamped by the serious brake light display immediately beside, be warned fellow drivers you could easily miss them.
 Illusions and Hazards. - Runfer D'Hills
Genuinely serious point to follow !

Not at all to scoff at light sensitivity as it obviously does seem to bother some people badly but I can honestly say it doesn't trouble me at all. Straw poll round our office would seem to suggest (if not exactly prove) that it seems to be an all or nothing thing. Some, (possibly most ?) don't even notice while some feel plagued by it. Wonder if it points to a particular characteristic or condition? ( other than a disproportionate propensity to whinge about stuff )

:-)
 Illusions and Hazards. - Old Navy
>> ( other than a disproportionate propensity to whinge about stuff )
>>
>>
>> :-)
>>

That is often matched by eyes of a certain age. :-)
 Illusions and Hazards. - Runfer D'Hills
Wasn't going to say that but now you come to mention it...

:-)
 Illusions and Hazards. - Mr. Ecs
Has anyone else experienced this on the motorway. I have on a couple of occasions. It occurs when you are driving in a group across all lanes at roughly the same speed. You feel like you are falling into an hypnotic trance, as if about to fall asleep. And no I wasn't tired, just the feeling. It happened once on the M25 as we were going around a sweeping bend. Most bizzare feeling to have.
 Illusions and Hazards. - Robin O'Reliant
"The sun flashing through the hedgerow". Indeed.

Cue thread from Brompt in the next week or so, "Is it worth contesting a NIP..."
 Illusions and Hazards. - Dave_
>> the flashing effect was effect was rays being broken by trees/hedges

>> i had to stop a bit sharpish on Friday when a car stopped dead to turn right and indicated afterwards

I wrote off a Maestro van about 15 years ago due to a combination of the above. The ½" thick layer of fag smoke inside its windscreen contributed nicely to the flickering white-out strobe effect.
 Illusions and Hazards. - Bromptonaut
>> Cue thread from Brompt in the next week or so, "Is it worth contesting a
>> NIP..."

I suspect you're pulling my leg Joe but thought went through my mind.

Definitely not though. Cameras in Northants were switched off in April 11 and there never was one on that stretch anyway. Those we had were Truvelos - flash from the front.
 Illusions and Hazards. - Pat
It's old age, that's all.

The ones it affects most are those who are just entering old age and have trouble coming to terms with it.

Fear not, you will get used to it and when you get to be very very old, it will be normal.

That's if you can adjust, of course and accept you are old:)

Pat

Latest Forum Posts