Motoring Discussion > Mazda - Replacement supermini
Thread Author: Auristocrat Replies: 11

Mazda - Replacement supermini - Auristocrat
Considering replacing our 2007 Mazda 2, with a new supermini. Have discounted VAG group cars due to limitations on their warranty. The new Kia Rio has poor rear visibility - so no to that. The American manufacturers don't do anything for me - so no to Ford and Vauxhall. Seem to have narrowed it down to either a Mazda 2 Tamura (on which I can get a £ 2300 discount the Civil Service Motoring Association), or a Hyundai i20 1.2 Classic or Comfort. Would buy an extended warranty on the Mazda to take it up to 5 yrs. Anyone any thoughts on the Mazda 2 and Hyundai i20? Or any other suggestions.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - -
Yaris, must have been obvious but you haven't got it down as number one.

Not cheap but comes with 5 years correctly honoured warranty, if there isn't so much discount available how does it compare with the Mazda once you've warranted it up.

I wonder if there are any of the previous model lurking about in the system as pre regs at bargain prices if you would consider that, indeed even if you bought one 12 months old it will still be warranted a year longer than Mazda and might be a bargain.

Couple of points, i like both the Mazda and the Yaris (haven't driven latest model mind), found the Mazda nice to drive with good visibility, same as Yaris.
Yaris sluggish with the 3 pot engine though so 1.3 would be my choice, hence enquiring about previous model pre regs.

Outlaws Mazda 3 clutch died at about a year and 12 or 14k miles, despite never having needed a clutch before in 40 years they were responsible @ some £600, not the type of customer service you would have receieved from the other IMO.

Haven't had anything to do with Hyundai smaller cars, though i20 does look a decent motor and i would definately test one.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - PeteW
Dad had the new model Mazda 2 when it first came out. Good car but a little plastiky inside and short of space. He's recently traded it in for a new Honda Jazz. A little bigger but far better build and space. He's over the moon with it. Also has a good higher up driving position (which I believe the previous Mazda 2 had - wasn't it basically a Ford Fusion?).
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - Stuu
+1 Yaris.

i20 looks nice in the showroom and seems well enough regarded.

What about the Suzuki Swift? Ive driven one of them as a loan car and its every bit as good as the motoring rags suggest.
>> What about the Suzuki Swift?

Slipped my mind, also comes with proper auto box option if that's of interest.
Have a quick nose on moneysavingexpert motoring forum, thread there just started about i20 clutch failure at 7k being put down to wear and tear.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - swiss tony
>> Outlaws Mazda 3 clutch died at about a year and 12 or 14k miles, despite
>> never having needed a clutch before in 40 years they were responsible @ some £600,
>> not the type of customer service you would have receieved from the other IMO.
>>
Petrol or diesel GB?
Petrol car ST, i imagine the Diesel would be considerably more expensive but glad to be proved wrong.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - swiss tony
>> Petrol car ST, i imagine the Diesel would be considerably more expensive but glad to
>> be proved wrong.
>>
OK, I just wondered, because 6 years ago, when I worked for a Mazda dealer, there was a spate of clutches in diesel 6's (taxies basically)
Not exactly high mileage... my theory, have driven some of them in traffic, was that there was a flat spot just over tickover - more or less at the balancing point of the biting point, that meant to prevent stalling, you had to give more gas, or slip the clutch more than normal.
Do both and the clutch wouldn't have a chance!
my theory, have driven some of them in traffic, was that
>> there was a flat spot just over tickover - more or less at the balancing
>> point of the biting point, that meant to prevent stalling, you had to give more
>> gas, or slip the clutch more than normal.
>> Do both and the clutch wouldn't have a chance!
>>

You and i are reading from the same hymnsheet ST, doing my previous job i noticed how easy new models were to stall compared with the one replaced in many makes, hateful useless things below a certain rev band.

My thoughts were that the ever weaker fuel mixtures of vehicles led them to be driven exactly as you describe.
Coupled with in some cases first and reverse gears that are too high to get ever heavier vehicles moving.

I could give some shining examples of this, heavy vehicles with small engines often turbo Diesel with no guts below turbo spool revs, you have to thrash them and slip the clutch to get the things moving.

Others with adequate sized engines would pull from stall revs without a moments hesitation.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - Auristocrat
The first generation Mazda 2 (like ours) was the third version of the Fiesta/Fusion range - for Europe built by Ford in Spain. Been really practical - large opening tailgate, with low boot sill. We bought a two year Mazda extended warranty, which included 2 years breakdown cover, for £ 525. So if we were to stay with Mazda, I think the price for the new car would be around £ 600 for the two years.

Having an Auris as my car, I did look at the Yaris.
I could get the TR (the TR has air con, the T2 doesn't) 1 litre 5dr for about £11.5K and the 1.33 TR 11.9K - discounts of about £1200-1300. Still seems on the expensive side.
Got brochures on the Suzuki Swift and Splash today - although the boot in both is on the small side.
Also after visiting the Kia website will be popping down to have a look at the Venga tomorrow - although width may be an issue regarding garaging it.
 Mazda - Replacement supermini - Focusless
>> I could get the TR (the TR has air con, the T2 doesn't) 1 litre
>> 5dr for about £11.5K

£11.5k?? I'm sure when we were looking at them a few (5?) years ago they were more like £8k. Memory playing up?
Latest Forum Posts