Motoring Discussion > Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 52

Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Falkirk Bairn
PETROPLUS - owner of 6 x European Refineries has shares suspended on Swiss Stock Exchange - has financial problems

Owns Coryton refinery in SE England and supplies the South East region

Coyton is former BP Plant sold off years ago - BP also sold off Grangemouth to INEOS who then sold 50% to the Chinese National Oil.

So who is making money out of Petrol & Diesel - Apart from the Government?
UPDATE

Petroplus Bust - refinery will close temporarily

DTelegraph

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/9034701/London-and-South-East-face-petrol-shortage-after-refinery-closure.html
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Bromptonaut
Plus strikes by tanker drivers at Conoco Phillips:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-16696473
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Zero
>> UPDATE
>>
>> Petroplus Bust - refinery will close temporarily

Its still producing, not closed.
>> >> UPDATE
>> >>
>> >> Petroplus Bust - refinery will close temporarily
>>
>> Its still producing, not closed.
>>

Thousand Agency / Sub Contractors laid off.........cannot keep going on just a few staff
The news reports I see say that jobs "are at risk" but no-one has been laid off and its still producing normally.
>> The news reports I see say that jobs "are at risk" but no-one has been
>> laid off and its still producing normally.
>>

Mr Robert Howitt MEP told BBC Radio 5 Live the refinery was being dragged down by its parent company. He said half the jobs were well-paid, highly skilled positions, while the other half were contractors, many of whom have already received their redundancy notices.
>> >> The news reports I see say that jobs "are at risk" but no-one has
>> been
>> >> laid off and its still producing normally.
>> >>
>>
>> Mr Robert Howitt MEP told BBC Radio 5 Live the refinery was being dragged down
>> by its parent company. He said half the jobs were well-paid, highly skilled positions, while
>> the other half were contractors, many of whom have already received their redundancy notices.

A redundancy notice is not "laid off"

redundancy notice is warning you may get laid off, laid off is "out the door"

Steven Pearson, on behalf of the administrator, said: "Our immediate priority is to continue to operate the Coryton refinery and the Teesside storage business without disruption while the financial position is clarified and restructuring options are explored.

Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - SteelSpark
I'm inclined to fill up today.

Just under half a tank, and would normally wait until it's down to a quarter.

Not so much on price, half a tank is 35 litres and even if it went up 10p a litre, it's hardly a crushing financial blow.

But it might be worth avoiding any shortage.

Has anybody noticed any big queues today?

>> But it might be worth avoiding any shortage.
>>
>> Has anybody noticed any big queues today?

Just been out, the local shell garage has run out of Diesel, but no big queues at the esso, tesco or shell garage, no sign of panic buying.
So I thought i would start some, and squeezed 20 litres in.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Armel Coussine
I did fill up yesterday, although just in the normal course of events, not in panic.

Our car doesn't require high-octane fuel, but I did put 97 octane in (43 litres, 62 quid, guh) because a partial fill-up with the premium stuff confirmed yet again that the car runs sweeter on it and can be wafted along comfortably in higher gears. This should mean better economy, and I will be measuring the mileage from this tank carefully. Not expecting miracles though. Financially it will probably be equal or more expensive to use the superior juice.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - PR
Petroplus closed a refinery on Teesside a few years back and nobody noticed. I expect if this does close there will be little disruption. They will import more to compensate.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Tigger
I hope we don't get the madness where people who only travel 50 miles a week feel the need to top up their tank at least daily, leading to huge queues ...
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - PeterS
I stopped for fuel at Shell on the way home (the yellow light had been on since the day before!) and the forecourt was deserted, so the panic hasn't reached W Sussex yet...
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Duncan
>> Petroplus closed a refinery on Teesside a few years back and nobody noticed.
>>

This is the Southeast we are talking about. There is nothing to beat a good panic.

I have just put £48 of diesel in my car.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Dulwich Estate
Don't worry about us in the South East.

A quick day trip to France will get you diesel at €1.38, say £1.15 per litre plus a few botttles of plonk at under 2 quid a go!

A good day out, break even on costs and a full tank of fuel too.
>>and a full tank of fuel too.

Only if you live in Dover.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 18:26
Just the fact that people can start panicking about this sort of thing makes capitalism look a bit stupid. I wonder if there's a profound message in that somewhere?

I posted this on HJ years ago but I'm a bore so I'll post it again. In 1973, when the first 'oil shock' occurred, I was a minicab driver in South London. A genuine panic took place because there was in fact a temporary shortage, with forecourts running out and closing. There were queues outside the petrol stations that did have juice.

We minicabbers used to bung the normally dour and depressed pump attendants - hardly any self-service back then - to let us fill up with 4 star leaded, that delicious brew, instead of having to stop at five gallons (no damn litres in those days either). We were allowed to jump the queue too, all the way to the front. Far from disapproving of this evidence of British corruption and cynicism, I revelled in it having just returned from my first visit to Nigeria where I had quickly learned the ropes with all that. It's much more usual in the third world where the capitalism-cover is thinner...

Eat my shorts, citizens! Eeee, it were lovely. And those underpaid lesbian forecourt gals started almost forgetting to look sour and hard-bitten, as they caressed the massive wads of banknotes in their back pockets. What you might call 'real democracy' if you were in a satirical mood.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Focusless
Top story on BBC1 6pm news - warning of possible shortages to come. Might help the panic.
>> Top story on BBC1 6pm news - warning of possible shortages to come. Might help
>> the panic.

I am sure we can cause a shortage. My mother still has larders full of sugar! what was that all about!
>> Top story on BBC1 6pm news - warning of possible shortages to come. Might help
>> the panic.

Standard says same thing under a 'Prices to Rocket' headline. Coryton has ceased deliveries according to same source.
Its one of 8 uk refineries, so only has a 12.5% share of total uk production, it only has a 20% share of the London and the South East total consumption. Fuel sales at the forecourt are down 10% year on year anyway.

If people dont panic its not a problem.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - bathtub tom
>>no sign of panic buying.
So I thought i would start some, and squeezed 20 litres in.

???
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Dutchie
There be panick buying soon I top up with diesel in morning bath tub.>:)
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Harleyman
I top up with diesel in morning bath tub.>:)
>>

Tom will not be at all pleased, his Kia runs on petrol!
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - bathtub tom
>>Tom will not be at all pleased, his Kia runs on petrol!

I'm happy to run it on anything a spark will ignite.

;>)
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Iffy
During the last shortage in about 2001 the government published a list of occupations which were to be given priority.

Journalism was one, and for a moment it gave me a nice warm feeling to think people in low places thought me important enough to warrant some petrol.

That was until I looked at the other occupations on the list: financial services, anyone involved in the supply of goods and services, etc, etc.

I struggled to think of a job which wouldn't qualify.

Single mothers on benefits, tough, get the bus, you shouldn't be running a car anyway. :)

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 20:02
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - rtj70
>> Coryton has ceased deliveries according to same source.

The parent company is in administration. So how can they sell fuel? They are still producing it... fingers crossed etc.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - R.P.
It's a strategic industry - I would imagine the Government will have an interest in proceedings.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Harleyman
Much ado about nothing. I expect to see the refinery under either Indian or Chinese ownership by Monday, helped of course by several zillion pounds of taxpayers subsidy.

Cynical? Moi?

>> The parent company is in administration. So how can they sell fuel?

Not sure I follow that. Peacock's stores in admin but it didn't stop them selling my wife a blouse.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - mikeyb
Up to the administrators if they let it carry on trading. If they have stock to sell then its likely they will carry on for a bit
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - rtj70
>> Not sure I follow that. Peacock's stores in admin but it didn't stop them selling my wife a blouse.

But who would the money go to if they sold fuel? Parent company in admin. At least the Peacock's example meant money went to Peacocks.

Selling fuel isn't comparable to selling a blouse mind.
>> >> Not sure I follow that. Peacock's stores in admin but it didn't stop them
>> selling my wife a blouse.
>>
>> But who would the money go to if they sold fuel? Parent company in admin.
>> At least the Peacock's example meant money went to Peacocks.
The money went to the administrators. They are running the company

>> Selling fuel isn't comparable to selling a blouse mind.
Of course it is
>> But who would the money go to if they sold fuel? Parent company in admin.
>> At least the Peacock's example meant money went to Peacocks.

Peacocks were in admin, the co that sold to my wife were a subsidiary.

Presumably money would be under the control of the Administrator though I suppose the parent co being non UK may complicate.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Kevin
>But who would the money go to if they sold fuel? Parent company in admin.

It's pretty much equivalent to US Chapter 11. Control of the business has simply been transferred into the hands of the administrators. Creditors will have to wait in line to see how many cents on the dollar they get.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Dave_
>> Top story on BBC1 6pm news - warning of possible shortages to come. Might help the panic.

The forum's favourite rag has the story as "Motorists face chronic fuel shortages and soaring prices at the pumps as forecourt bosses said there was a risk of parts of the South East ‘grinding to a halt’"... Sheesh.

'Forecourt bosses' eh?

Are they those Indian blokes who run the pie shop and take the money?
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Skip
"The forum's favourite rag has the story as "Motorists face chronic fuel shortages and soaring prices at the pumps as forecourt bosses said there was a risk of parts of the South East ‘grinding to a halt’"... Sheesh."

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story !
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Crankcase
Well for one thing that should be "acute", not "chronic".

Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Rudedog
On the radio this morning on the way home from my night-shift I heard about the closure and a spokesperson for the oil companies said that even if ALL of the refineries closed today then the UK holds over 70 days worth of fuel in storage, I think this came about after the last national fuel strikes.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Mr PDA
I put over 160 litres in my lorry yesterday. Have I damaged our reserves?

I suspect this may represent a chance for the forecourt prices to be pushed up a bit rather than supplies pushed down. I can't see the oil companies missing an excuse to raise their prices for their own ends rather than the chancellors.

Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Old Navy
>> I can't see the oil companies missing an
>> excuse to raise their prices for their own ends rather than the chancellors.
>>
>>

The chancellor won't mind the price going up, higher price = more tax and VAT on the tax.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 08:07
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Slidingpillar
Just more VAT. The duty on fuel is a fixed amount.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - WillDeBeest
No, ON - just more VAT. Road Fuel Duty is an amount per litre, not a percentage of anything.
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Old Navy
He still won't complain. Nor will I, all my travel is S, D, & P. There is a lot of it, but it is all optional.
>> No, ON - just more VAT. Road Fuel Duty is an amount per litre, not
>> a percentage of anything.
>>

I.E. VAT on Fuel and the Fuel Duty - A TAX on a TAX

Very Bad IMHO

What do the rest of you think of taxing a tax?
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - CGNorwich
What do the rest of you think of taxing a tax?

Great idea!*

*N.B. this is an ironic answer

>> What do the rest of you think of taxing a tax?

They've got to raise the money somehow. Would VAT on the material cost only and an extra few pence on the duty be any better?
 Petroplus - Fill up now if you live in SE England - Pat
The pecieved fuel shortage will be more the fault of URTU for getting the Wincanton tanker drivers on strike than anything.

Pat
Still no panic buying round here, I blame the immigrants.
Latest News - Mon 30/1/12

Coryton Refinery has shut down due to a breakdown within the complex.

Maybe you should be out filling up - if you live in the London area.
 Coryton Essex Refinery (EX BP Site) to close - Falkirk Bairn
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-18600268

Refinery to close and become an import storage terminal....................another nail in the UK manufacturing sector. Hundreds of permanent and agency jobs lost

Grangemouth, another ex BP site, (now Ineos + Chinese ownership) loses £100m in 12 mths - the Petrol Refinery has undisclosed losses as a big part of the site is plastics which are profitable.

Statement said that falling crude price = falling petrol price and the refiner is caught in the middle.
Latest Forum Posts