Motoring Discussion > Peak age for drivers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Peak age for drivers. - Old Navy
We all complain about boy racers and old duffers on the road. Car control and experience increase up to a point and then our reactions and eyesight deteriorate. Assuming a driving test pass in the late teens when do you think the average peak of driving ability is assuming no further training?
 Peak age for drivers. - Meldrew
Assuming you make it to 30 without dying I'd say early to mid 40s
 Peak age for drivers. - Zero
most racing drivers have peaked at 30 and lost it by 35,

But that may be because they get a sense of vunerability, which could be a good thing.
 Peak age for drivers. - Armel Coussine
Shrewd as always Zeddo.

As you get older you get wiser unless you are half-witted. You see and experience things that make you understand the need for restraint in certain circumstances. You learn how to anticipate and circumnavigate those situations. You get a better sense of proportion.

One reason why racing drivers are young is that you are madder when you are young. Another is that your reaction times and physical fitness are at their best when you are young.

Competitiveness is something we often admire, but there's nothing admirable about it really. It's got an ugly side.
 Peak age for drivers. - Runfer D'Hills
Of course I know what you're getting at ON, and indeed as with most things I suppose there must be a point at which one's skills measureably decline.

However, there are octegenarians who still drive like a chaffeur and people in their prime who drive like retards. Vice versa and all points in between also apply naturally, but I guess if one's skills were always limited then advancing years will compound the problem more visibly whereas someone who was more or less competent to begin with may show little obvious deterioration.

'orses for courses innit squire?
Yes I suppose it is a "how long is a piece of string" question. I am sure all the old duffers on here (me included) have the experience to compensate for our deteriorating capabilities and can still run rings around the youngsters. :-)
 Peak age for drivers. - henry k
>>However, there are octegenarians who still drive like a chaffeur
Strange you say that today because this example of the another unbelievable wrong turn by an oldie has been reported.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-16741868
www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4088996/Crash-news-OAP-took-wrong-turn-on-to-railway-lines.html
 Peak age for drivers. - Meldrew
An exception to the "Rule" perhaps. Derek Bell was born in 1941 and he won two World Sportscar Championship titles in 1985-86, the 24 Hours of Daytona three times in 1986-87 and 1989 and Le Mans five times in 1975, 1981, 1982, 1986 and 1987. Won Le Mans for the last time at 46
 Peak age for drivers. - TheManWithNoName
Peak of driving ability...?
Well I for one think that I never stop learning and therefore will never reach a peak as such. There's always new challenges and scenarios that appear on the roads. Its easy to become complacent and perhaps there is no age as such when we reach a peak. Rather, perhaps we reach a period when we feel comfortable behind the wheel and less fazed by things going on around us or less reactionary to other drivers who previously may have riled us and prompted an agressive or passive response.
Having heard of some recent local crashes involving elderly drivers, I most definitely think the license should be revoked at 70 and a re-test taken along with a full medical to prove one's ability to retain their license to drive 1.5 tons of potentially lethal machinery.
 Peak age for drivers. - RattleandSmoke
I read some where the age where you're most likely to pass a driving test first time is 26. I passed first time at 26 so I am not going to argue with that!
Passed at 18, first time.

My son passed at 18, Second time.
 Peak age for drivers. - -
Self searching question this one Navy.

I think my fastest driving was in my 30's and early 40's, both truck and car.

Have learned constantly though so i would think i was a better all round driver in my late 40's, i know i'm not as quick reacting as i used to be now though so don't push it so hard any more.

Still have episodes that should/could have ended in disaster wre it not for luck indelibly and clearly etched in my mind from decades ago, probably survival instinct reminding me constantly not to do that again.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 22:04
 Peak age for drivers. - bathtub tom
Curious!

It would appear that youth favours drivers in modern racing, but look at the drivers for a classic race meeting, such as the Goodwood revival and most would appear to be 'classic'.

Hill climb drivers would also appear to be more mature. Perhaps they haven't the stamina of a longer event. However, classic trials (which can last 24 hours) would seem to favour the 'wily old fox' type.
 Peak age for drivers. - Cliff Pope
I don't think there is a meaningful comparison with racing drivers, because the driving objectives are clearly different. I don't see why skills in one field are necessarily any guide to skills required in another.

Anyway, what is it that you want to measure by "peak"?
One obvious criterion would be risk of accident, or likelihood of completing the journey. Insurance company statistics provide the obvious way of measuring that, and using that measure as the basis, peak clearly occurs at about 70.

After that, insurance companies get stickier, but not, interestingly, ever as harshly as they do for drivers at the opposite end of the age spectrum.

I have a cousin of 94 who still drives, safely as far as I am aware. I don't think her insurance premium is loaded in the way an 18-year old's would be, nor is she restricted from using it to college (I mean day centre).
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 08:34
>>Insurance company statistics provide the obvious way of measuring that, and using that measure as the basis, peak clearly occurs at about 70.
>>

Using the information and opinions here there would seem to be a plateau of ability between about 40 and 70. There will always be exceptions and variations in levels of skill, from the timid sitting bolt upright with white knuckles gripping the wheel to the over confident using inappropriate speed.

The one that I cannot figure out is one of MRS ONs friends who occasionally gives her a lift, she drives reasonably well well except that she only uses the accelerator as an on off switch, all or nothing.
 Peak age for drivers. - Dave_
>> there would seem to be a plateau of ability between about 40 and 70

So I'm only a few months away from reaching my pinnacle then :)

My attitude to driving has been pretty relaxed for quite a few years now. I never get the "red mist" come down, I just concentrate on getting myself and my load / passengers / vehicle there intact, with proficiency, efficiency and without conflicting with other road users on the way. I reckon it must have helped me get this job delivering 50 grand plus cars.

I'm not sure I'd be much good in a race these days though, I haven't even tried to find the handling limits of a car in ten years or more. Two decades ago I used to drive my Cavalier everywhere on the door handles though ;)

>> One obvious criterion would be risk of accident, or likelihood of completing the journey. Insurance
>> company statistics provide the obvious way of measuring that, and using that measure as the
>> basis, peak clearly occurs at about 70.

Do you have the figures to back that up? I think 70 is clearly not the peak.
 Peak age for drivers. - Cliff Pope
No, I don't have any figures. I am just using the widely reported comments from forum users etc that insurance for older drivers stays relatively reasonable up to about age 70, but at that point many companies start to impose restrictions, mainly on taking on a new customer rather than continuing to insure an existing one.

But above that age, assuming they will continue the insurance, I don't think premiums start to hit the roof in a corresponding way that they do for young drivers. So that would appear to mean that insurance companies do not regard old drivers as excessively risky, just not as safe as the under 70s.
Hence my observation that in insurance companies' eyes, peak is at 70.

Obviously that means the average peak for the particular age group, not the peak for a particular individual. It's not inconsistent to say that an individual peaks at say 50 but his motoring age group peaks at 70. By 70 many will have been thinned out by accident, illness, incapacity, or choice, so will no longer be there to dilute the statistics.

Probably the safest age of all is 110. There is only one person of that age driving, and he didn't have an accident last year.
 Peak age for drivers. - L'escargot
>> .............. up to about age
>> 70, but at that point many companies start to impose restrictions, mainly on taking on
>> a new customer rather than continuing to insure an existing one.

Any driver over 70 who's looked into the situiation is unlikely (or very unwise) to try change insurers.
Latest Forum Posts