Motoring Discussion > Do You Know Your Driver Number? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 44

Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Bromptonaut
The 'DVLA Blunder' thread got me thinking.

How many of us know our driver number without looking it up?

I do.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Zero
I know the first 14 because of the way its made up of your name, jumbled birth date and initials. not the last bits tho

But why do you need to? you only need to keep it safe, I cant remember the last time anyone asked me to recite my driver number from memory. In fact, never
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 14:06
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - bathtub tom
A teacher once told me "all boys are autistic, they just vary by how much".

;>)
>> But why do you need to?

At some stage in the eighties (renting flats? hiring cars?) I often needed to recite it on forms.

Like the bank card for internet shopping today it was easier to just learn it.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - WillDeBeest
I do. First five letters of surname, scrambled DoB, initials of forenames, three (presumably random) characters. If I can remember those, I can work out the rest.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - L'escargot
>> How many of us know our driver number without looking it up?
>>
>> I do.

I don't know my driver number without looking on my driving licence. However I do know my 1939 National Identity Number even though I no longer have the card ~ tinyurl.com/7ejh8e5

I know the part number of a Hillman Imp radiator ~ 7103387.

I know the 16 digit number on my debit card but that's remaining a secret!
>> I know the 16 digit number on my debit card but that's remaining a secret!

I know that one too but still need to count fingers for the verified by visa bit.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - WillDeBeest
Visa users must be different - the MasterCard equivalent has never asked me how many fingers I have.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - R.P.
I'm shocked as to how many people know their National Insurance number - I must get round to learning it.
>> I'm shocked as to how many people know their National Insurance number ..........

I know mine too. I hope that doesn't make you even more shocked!
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Pat
I know mine too...and most of the Girling part numbers for cars of the 60's.

Pat
I know my NI insurance number too, I should do its been with me since 1970.
>> I know mine too...and most of the Girling part numbers for cars of the 60's.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Is it sleeping in the nude which gives you such a good memory?
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 15:12
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Pat
Going by Dog, it isn't!

Pat
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - TeeCee
Only Visa users are inbred enough to have variable numbers of fingers?

:-)
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Focusless
>> I know that one too but still need to count fingers for the verified by
>> visa bit.

+1!
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - rtj70
For some reason I've always remembered my NI number. Probably used it the first time in 1990 and remembered it ever since.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Dave
Everyone here has an ID number - DOB backwards followed by 4 numbers. And it's used for everything from identifying yourself to the electric company, id for credit card purchases, to picking up parcels. The swedish driving licence carries the number and can be used as id, or you can get an id card from the bank. All the cards have a bar code that can be scanned when collecting parcels and stuff. Even if they know you personally, they still want to scan the card when collecting as it saves them having to type all your details.

So despite having an id card, just for a laugh I present my UK driving licence for id. They get the scanner out, then realise there's no bar code. Then they start to type in the driver number and realise it's the wrong format. After a bit of head scratching and flipping the card over a few times, they ask for your number. Of course, it's even more fun if you present the old paper licence.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Badwolf
I can remember my Driver Number, my NI Number, all the various interweb passwords I use and all the registration numbers of all the cars that my Dad has owned since the early 80s, and all the cars that I have ever owned.

And yet I can't remember to pop down to the shops when my wife has asked me to...
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Crankcase
It's astonishing to me you folk can remember such things. I literally cannot recall a new phone number long enough to dial it, and have to read it from the page two digits at a time. The phone often gives up because I'm so slow.

Having said that I can, with prompting, sometimes remember my office and home numbers, although even then I often find I've given them out slightly wrong.

Just don't have a retentive brain.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - R.P.
In my (new) line of work I take mobile numbers from every caller - the numbers are inputted direct on to "case-sheets" large percentage don't know their numbers - those who do remember them, generally in chunks - so what I do is type them in in the same chunks e.g. 07** *** **** then whe I read them back later to confirm it - it's a lot easier on the caller - if someone reads out my mobile in a way that I don't recall it, it sounds different IYKWIM
My work mobile number I knew backwards and always recited it in two chunks 07XXXX XXXXX

My current mobile number I have had for 2.5 years and I only know it starts with 07!
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Robin O'Reliant

>> My current mobile number I have had for 2.5 years and I only know it
>> starts with 07!
>>
I've had the same mobile number since 1993, apart from the addition of the figure seven when that was introduced.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Cliff Pope
>> It's astonishing to me you folk can remember such things. I literally cannot recall a
>> new phone number long enough to dial it, and have to read it from the
>> page two digits at a time. The phone often gives up because I'm so slow.
>>

Me too. I just cannot remember numbers.
I can usually remember my own phone number if I say it at a run without thinking, but I know that I'd forget it if I filled up limited memory space by trying to memorise any other numbers.

I'm hopeless at that game Ribbentrop - the one where each player adds to a lengthening list of items to take on holiday.
Yet I can read a book or newspaper and have a perfect visual memory of where every paragraph is. And I can remember every day of my life as if on film, even to the extent of being able to zoom in and examine a sequence in detail.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Crankcase

>> Me too. I just cannot remember numbers.

Thank goodness it's not just me. Cliff, we must commiserate with one another. You can get me on 012..no..021..hang on...
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Dave_
>> I can remember my Driver Number, my NI Number, all the various interweb passwords I use and all the
>> registration numbers of all the cars that my Dad has owned since the early 80s, and all the cars that I have
>> ever owned.

+1... :)

Add to that most of my friends' cars since they started driving, most of the taxis where I used to work, and a fair few commercials I've driven over the years too. When the DVLA Vehicle Enquiry website started up I must have searched for well over 100 different vehicles from memory, just to see what their fate was.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - rtj70
>> if someone reads out my mobile in a way that I don't recall it, it sounds different IYKWIM

Same with my mobile number.
>> I can remember my Driver Number, my NI Number, all the various interweb passwords I
>> use and all the registration numbers of all the cars that my Dad has owned
>> since the early 80s, and all the cars that I have ever owned.

Diito, Parent's car numbers from 1965 until I moved away in 1978. Phone numbers for both houses we lived in as kids plus a few relatives. And hobby wise the six Vickers Viscounts that BA (Northeast) had based at Leeds until 1976 as well as the Dan-Air and Air Anglia machines that were rotated through.

Bathtub T is probably right about boys.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Meldrew
Plus another 1!
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Runfer D'Hills
I can't remember any of the above but I do know my late Mum's Coop number. Used to have to recite it to myself when sent on an errand. Been a while since I did that mind. Possibly 40 years +, but I still know the number.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Armel Coussine
You guys are a bunch of idiots savants, like the autistic chap who can tell you the day of the week for any date you care to name from the last 500 years, or the autistic black six-year-old who drew the St Pancras hotel in detail after just glancing at it once.

It takes me ages to learn my own mobile number, which is the only one I know by heart although I never call it. A dozen or so landlines, perhaps fewer than that, in fact call it six. I have never known a licence or NH number and instantly forget and lose all passwords and secret codes. I know two PIN numbers.

This is nothing to do with age-related degeneration. I've always been like that. And I yield to none in my own autisms, according to herself anyway. Asperger's syndrome and Tourette's, she claims unkindly.
I think you might have "American Dementia" AC. They call it "CRS"

Can't remember sh.. !

Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Skip
I can remember my NI, driving licence. bank account, debit and credit card numbers and numerous passwords. I can also remember VAT numbers from past firms i worked at and countless phone numbers i have used in previous jobs. However if somebody says to me "in 5 minutes time could you............. No chance !
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Manatee
No but I can remember my Mum's Coop divi number.

EDIT - and I posted that before seeing Humpy had done the same!
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 18:30
Observation skills a bit wobbly today M?

Edit - it's ok you don't need to say anything. Second word's "off" right?

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 18:33
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Armel Coussine
I meant to add, needless to say I can still remember phone numbers from the fifties and sixties, when London numbers had exchange names at the beginning and the phones had the alphabet on them as well as the numbers.

I can even remember the phone number of my parents' house in Trincomalee in the late forties: Dockyard 451. The house wasn't in the dockyard or even all that near it. But it was inside a very large area then surrounded by 20ft steel and barbed wire fences with armed guards at the gates. Inside, the landscape continued unmilitarized for the most part, with deer, monkeys and so on all over the place and raiding the dustbins.

The house is still there and I've found it on google earth.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Manatee
>> Observation skills a bit wobbly today M?

Possibly, I might be uber-relaxed. I've been "on a Warner's" this week with a group of like minded trainee oldsters. The deal was too good to pass up.

www.warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/hotels/holme-lacy-house-hotel/overview/

Once I'd got over the fact that we lowered the average age by about 15 years, it was all quite calming (apart from the female dancers and chanteuses - surprised there wasn't a fleet of ambulances outside).

Do You Know Your Driver Number? - RichardW
Driver number, NI number, reg plates, dates, place names, mileages, random facts, intricate details of jobs we did 10 years ago at work etc etc - can remember them all. Score well into the autistic spectrum bit on any of the tests!

But no, I can't remember to do things I am supposed to either.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - Telb
I was going to say the same thing. Glad I'm not the only ancient one on this site!
I think memories are like a row of coat hooks. When all the hooks are full, if you put another coat on at one end a coat falls off at the other end.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - swiss tony
>> I think memories are like a row of coat hooks. When all the hooks are
>> full, if you put another coat on at one end a coat falls off at
>> the other end.
>>

Or... in my case, I just throw the coat on the floor....

... and lose it forever!
As Homer Simpson put it when he was being taught something

DOH - ALL THE NEW STUFF IS PUSHING THE OLD STUFF OUT
>> DOH - ALL THE NEW STUFF IS PUSHING THE OLD STUFF OUT

Motoring connection - Homer had been on a work course and came back having forgotten how to drive.
 Do You Know Your Driver Number? - sooty123
>> >> DOH - ALL THE NEW STUFF IS PUSHING THE OLD STUFF OUT
>>
>> Motoring connection - Homer had been on a work course and came back having forgotten
>> how to drive.
>>

Wasn't it ' Remember when I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive?'
>> Wasn't it ' Remember when I took that wine making course and forgot how to
>> drive?'

Probably; apart from being a non Sky person Homer's not my favourite watching.
Latest Forum Posts