Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 7

Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - Auntie Lockbrakes
No real surprise I s'pose, but the Golf was Europe's best seller in 2011 (again!). Number 2 spot went to VW too, with the Polo, which has overtaken the Fiesta.

The new car market in Germany grew by 9%! Recession, what recession?

So, Golf trouncing Focus, and now Polo trouncing Fiesta.

VW, BMW, Merc & Audi all grew their sales in 2011, presumably at the expense of all the non-German brands, seeing as total European sales fell 1%.

I guess 1 day we'll all be driving either German or Korean cars..?!
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - lancara
If you also add in the Audi, Seat and Skoda versions of the Golf and Polo, the gap with Ford widens even further. Ford pricing policy - high list, large discounts - doesn't seem to be working - made a loss in Europe last quarter.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - Bill Payer
I must say I was almost thrilled to be able to get a new Golf for £13K last year (it was the Twist special edition, with the old 1.4 petrol engine - fine for what we wanted) but it only served to make the regular models, like the 1.4TSi Match, look stupidly dear. And I gather there are quite a few problems with the TSi engine, especially very high oil consumption.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - Dog
I'd rather have an Astra, and it's Made in England by British workers.
>> I'd rather have an Astra, and it's Made in England by British workers.
>>
I felt obliged to look at Astra as we live just a few miles from the factory, and there are also several ways we could get a pretty hefty discount.

Problem is they do that thing that many manufacturers do, and as soon as you move away from the most basic models they go to daft size alloys and sports suspension. Unless they've rejigged things, it was impossible to get a small engine with a reasonably equiped 'comfort' type of spec.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 28 Jan 12 at 23:23
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - rtj70
>> they do that thing that many manufacturers do, and as soon as you move away from the
>> most basic models they go to daft size alloys and sports suspension

I am still surprised that my current car has a more comfortable ride than the Mazda6 and Mondeo that preceded it. Granted I have active dampers but there are 18" wheel instead of the 16" ones on the other cars.

I've not driven one of these in basic trim without active dampers.... I assume that is an important part of the difference. And compared to my Passat in 2000 with sport suspension but 15" wheels this is as comfortable but does not wallow the same.
>> I am still surprised that my current car has a more comfortable ride than the
>> Mazda6 and Mondeo that preceded it. Granted I have active dampers but there are 18"
>> wheel instead of the 16" ones on the other cars.
>>
The Golf was for my daughter and the car is used around town, so what I didn't want was very low profile tyres that would expose the alloys more than necessary to damage from kerbs and potholes.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Europe's number 1 in 2011 - ....
>> I guess 1 day we'll all be driving either German or Korean cars..?!
>>
It depends on how you define German ?

The Polo is made in Spain, India, South Africa and Russia.
The Fiesta is made in Köln.

The Focus is made in Saarlouis...

The German's are currently debating what constitues "Made in Germany".
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 28 Jan 12 at 23:32
Latest Forum Posts