Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl
Thread Author: confusedgirl Replies: 111

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - confusedgirl
Hi guys *waves*

Please don't bite... new here :) And desperately after your wisdom. I realise you will want to suggest other/better/newer cars but please take a second to listen to my frustrating situation :( (it's a bit unique).

I am only early 30's, with one man ;) and one 13 yr old in tow. HOWEVER recently a fall has made me more disabled and meant I can't get in or out of most cars *jaw drops*. I have sat in SO many and failed. However some models have worked then the newer versions haven't. The other slant to this is I need to get my folding power chair in the boot. So my needs are:

-a high drivers seat (plus my inside leg is 33")
-very high adjustable passenger seat (none existent I know on the cars suitable)
-low or no sills
-flat seats
-VERY upright seats
-boot that fits the wheelchair in
-space for 3 (although I will strap the other 2 to the roof if it gets me a cool car I can get into!).

I am having to get rid of my 3 door focus *sobs* as the chair *just* goes in but I have to have my legs lifted in. Not good as I want to look composed ;) having sat in SO many cars the only 2 I seem to get into ok are the :

Cmax (2003-2007) and the zafira (up to 2005). Although I didn't get to try my chair in the cmax. I could get in about 5 other cars (4x4's) but the problem was I felt they were too big or the seats weren't bolt upright. My mileage will be very low.

My question is... does anyone have any experience or feedback on these models? I am terrified of being ripped off or getting a duff car and getting stranded. I would appreciate it SO much. We aren't talking looks... guys I have NO choice here. Believe me, if I had a choice my bottom would be in an audi TT ;)

Before I go (if anyone if still reading my waffle... sorry!)... I know a traditional disabled car could also suit me... but guys, I'm a slim, image concious, blonde, blue eyed girl who feels cheesed off enough that I can't pick any car and this is purely what I can get into, so I need to pick a car that doesn't draw any more attention to what's up :) (sorry... not trying to offend people with these cars... this is all hitting me hard, and bit at a time and all that!). Estates are out btw... too low... my legs can't get in :(

Thank you SO much in advance anyone! :)

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Lygonos
Not sure if the seat is high enough but look at a Honda FRV - we've got one and it has almost no door sill, and it has very flexible seating that can even fit 3 across the front row leaving a massive boot space compared to a 7-seater with one in the middle-row.

The doors also open very widley, to nearly 90 degrees so access front or rear is pretty good.

I'm 6'5" and can sit behind myself (if that makes any sense!)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 4 Feb 12 at 21:09
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Zero
Have you tried the VW Touran? I would have thought that met all your requirements.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - confusedgirl
Forgot to mention.... it has to be in an Auto gear box :)

Never heard of a Honda FR-V... will look into this thank you!

VW Touran... I was planning to buy a touran last year until I fell and made my disability worse. Now I can't get my legs into one at all (or a single VW!) without someone lifting them in :( Thanks for the suggestion though!
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Lygonos
media.mpgomatic.com/images/honda_fr-v-2.jpg

Honda FRV - note there are 3 seats in front and 3 in the back - all can be independently folded and the middle ones can slide back and forwards.

The sills look about as low as any car I've owned.

Ours is an automatic (1.8 petrol - reasonable performance, 31-34mpg mixed driving).

Reliability should be out of the Zafira's league.

Expect to pay £9-10k for a 3 yr old minter - perhaps a few k above your target?
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 4 Feb 12 at 21:30
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Old Navy
One of my daughters has a diesel Honda FRV as a family bus, it is certainly a versatile car with high seats and a flat floor. Worth a look at.
The Honda FRV is such a lovely car! Thanks so much for the link and the details, very much appreciated. I've never seen anything like it with the 3 seats going across the front! It's definitely going on my list to go and try out! It is a bit on the pricey side for me, BUT I'm happy to wait and save for the ideal car.

Re:zafira's - does that mean from your knowledge they are not meant to be very good? The new ones are a no no (I can't get into them).
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - spamcan61
SWMBO's 2001 Zafira has covered over 150,000 round town miles and has been reasonably reliable, it's had a new alternator, a MAF, lambda sensor, track rod end plus normal service items. Nippy around town -1.8 petrol - bit low geared for motorways. Really easy car to drive, sit up and beg seating, plenty of room in the back, boxy rear end ideal for a chair. Like every other make of car, especially once they're a few years old, there's good ones and bad ones out there.

FRVs are a few inches wider than a Zafira or Touran, can be an issue in narrow parking spaces.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Pezzer
Hi there we have an old/orignal (V reg) Zafira and it has been a very good for our needs. Tip runs, bikes, School run, Dogs etc. I can confirm that the seating positon is very upright and it actually drives very very well. For quite a big car the 1.6/1.8 really do go well.

I'm sure you will be able to get a newer one than ours, but you should expect that the wearing parts will need replacement as it will be hard on the tyres and suspension (probably due to how well it drives). We've had to replace the Exhaust and Alternator but thats no great surprise with a car this old.

I expect you will be looking for an Auto so the clutch wont be an issue but the movement can be a little awkward on the early models and the central armrest is in a ridiculous position preventing access to the handbrake unless folded back.
Hi guys

Both really helpful thank you :) The width thing was really helpful as I find my current focus tricky being a 3 dr it has huge doors and if there's no disabled spots I'm left struggling to get out whilst trying not to fall or bash anyone's car at the same time with the heavy door lol! (if you see me coming shift your car ;o) ). We also have a narrow drive.

Great to hear the zafira is an easy car to drive... and there's other people who have found them ok for their needs. I feel so limited - even the models have to be specific years...

Thanks so much everyone for all the input so far everyone. I appreciate it so much.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - DP
Try a Qashqai as well.
Thanks so much for the suggestion but would you believe I tried a Qashqai (being rec'd from another disabled friend) and I sat in backwards (as we all do) and there I stopped. Couldn't move a muscle. It was the least disabled friendly car I have ever tried! :,o( Don't know what they made their seats out of but it would take more than some lifting my legs in to get me in it! (A passat was another bad car - but that was because it was so low).
(If this helps) I could also get into a Nissan X trail and a freelander (05 I tried) just about. But I felt the x trail wasn't really 'me' and felt quite big. I love the freelander but I've heard so many horror stories plus I worried about the running costs/maintenance/it breaking down and me being stranded (because people told me they were so unreliable). I could also get in a galaxy but felt this was like a bus but couldn't get in an s max! (I had presumed these were the same). I love the Honda CR-V's and managed to get in them but the seat was very very wrong. about 50 cars I've tried I couldn't get in at all.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - bathtub tom
>>I am only early 30's
>>my inside leg is 33"
>>I'm a slim, image concious, blonde, blue eyed girl

I do hope you realise what you've done for the blood pressure of all us ole fogies?

Sheesh!

;>)
lol!!! love it ;) Very funny :)
....Where as the reality of this is whilst your all driving off in your lovely car's, I'm the one still in the car park looking like a womble cursing mine not being able to get in it ;) (look out for me I'm sure you'll spot me sooner or later arguing with myself lol!).
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - PhilW
"I do hope you realise what you've done for the blood pressure of all us ole fogies?"
Glad you said that Btub Tom - I daren't - 6ft male with 31 inch inside leg! Not a patch on confusedg
Hope confusedg gets a car she loves - good luck!
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Roger.
All these posts and not a welcome to a new member. Shame on us.
Welcome, confusedgirl. Forgive us for our occasional foibles - we don't bite (often!)
Aw thank you and hi :) Thank you for all being so welcoming and helpful! It's very much appreciated as cars seem a real minefield to me. I'm in awe of anyone who has any knowledge about them at all. I really could be taken for a ride as I wouldn't have the first clue what to look out for in a dodgy car (I swear I have MUG on my forehead lol!).

ps. Honestly 33" legs is not really all it's cracked up to be when I'm only 5ft 7. This leaves me almost all leg and not much else lol! 6ft and 31" leg is far more in proportion.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - PhilW
"33" legs is not really all it's cracked up to be when I'm only 5ft 7."
I'm trying to picture it - not succeeding yet - but I'll keep trying.
Nope, can't get there.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Pat
Morning confusedgirl, and welcome to these forums!

I can't help with the suggestions but I do love your attitude!

I so understand the thinking that the most important thing is no-one else knows you can't do something;)

With that, you always find a solution somehow!

Pat
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Dave
There's a site here: www.ricability.org.uk/ that gives dimensions of cars - sill height, distance to pedal, door opening angles etc etc. And allows you to compare most of the cars around.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Iffy
I'm confusedboy over what confusedgirl is buying/wants to buy/will fit into.

But to answer the original question, much as I like Fords, there are many reports of problems with C-Maxs of this age.

So of the two, I would buy a Zafira.

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - -
Coo 33" inside leg, fat lot of good any of us trying to think about cars now you've told us that.

As well as the above suggestions also look at Kia Carens, Chevy Captiva, Toyota Rav 4 and Verso, Citroen C3 and C4 Picasso, Fiat Doblo, Renault Kangoo 09 on in no particular order.

The very rare C4 Picasso 'Lounge' model with a petrol engine and proper auto box and very luxurious it is too, Diesel C4 Pics have the gearbox from hell as will some of the above, only you can decide if the shortcomings of that type of box are liveable.

Berlingo would have been perfect but some half wit decided not to offer an auto option, unbelievable they would have sold thousands, i'd have had one too, they are cracking vehicles with just about the best ride available.

As to your current choices, if i had to choose it would be the Vauxhall, the auto is smooth especially when mated to the bigger Diesel, Fords of recent years have left me wondering what all the fuss is about whenever i drive them, but one mans meat etc.

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - nyx2k
my wifes c3 picasso is helping her as she has mobility problems and she finds it the best she's had car wise to get in and out of.
>> my wifes c3 picasso is helping her as she has mobility problems and she finds
>> it the best she's had car wise to get in and out of.

I delivered dozens of these when they were first launched, so good were they that i remain unconvinced that they are really based on the C3, far more solid and stable than the little car feels in all its versions.

As noted by she who has 33" legs (oh yes.;), 3 door versions of many modern cars are dreadful for access even when you're relatively supple, in the average parking space you have to twist round in the seat and sort of go out backwards, not helped by a nearly horizontal windsreen and 4" thick A pillar requiring you to somehow limbo out simultaneously, C3 Pic has a refreshingly upright screen in comparison and it makes the world of difference especially when proper seats are the order of the day.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Runfer D'Hills
I once got a Nissan Cube as a loaner when the Qashqai was in for a service. Weird thing but had a strange appeal too. Incredibly well equipped. I remember that being highly accesible. My son wouldn't go in it without a ski mask though.
ive driven brand new c3's and the picasso is in a leuge by itself. the c3 feels like a citroen of old so tinny and plasticy however the picasso version is vastly different in drive and feel. hj likes them but not sure if thats a good or bad thing. had a note for a while and it was ok but not well put together
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Dog
Not many Citroen C3's auto's about - only one on Autotrader, and not in OP's price range.

tinyurl.com/7vpj3tq
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - zippy
Confused Girl. If you are disabled, do you get dla?

If so, you may be entitled to a mobility element that could let you lease a car!
Aw how nice are all of you! *hands round my bag of sweets*. Seriously guys, I am SO touched at your help, advice, wisdom, knowledge... and awesome humour!!! ;o) I appreciate it SO much. You guys seriously rock! Thank you! I am absorbing everyone's input and point of view, it is really welcome and so so helpful. Thank you for being so welcoming.

Thanks for understanding too that (as Pat so well put it) "the most important thing is no-one else knows you can't do something". This is EXACTLY it. Regularly I get people marching up to my car when I pull into disabled bays (before I get out/half fall on the floor getting out of a ridiculously low car) telling me (good on them!) I need a blue badge to park in there. They just think I'm some girl too lazy to walk to the door. Ahhh! job done then :) *high fives* fooled everyone! ;o) I'm totally able ;) (just a bit broken).

Thanks so much for the links too guys, I'll look into those this afternoon. Also for the information/input about the ford vs. zafira. Very helpful. Thank you. Seriously - you don't know how much I appreciate all your points of view. I know where to put petrol in and then my car knowledge stops. I am very happy to contribute on other posts as you guys have so willingly contributed to mine, however you might have to remember my user name and be ready to pat me on my head, ignore me and roll your eyes at my motor ignorance :) I mean well though :)

Thanks so much for the car suggestions! Kia Carens (couldn't get in), Chevy Captiva (never heard of so will look into this thanks!), Toyota Rav 4 (I got in *yay* but the seats didn't hold me in the right position - ha how spoilt does that make me sound? I'm really not, my major joints are all coming apart so I can't support myself well) and Verso (can't get in), Citroen C3 (never tried will check out thanks sounds promising too!) and C4 Picasso (couldn't get in - but got someone to lift my legs in just for the crack *mehehe* as the seats were mighty fine! - and then I sat there for 5 mins pretending to own such a lovely comfy car if it wasn't for these darn legs that won't go in independently). I do have a lifting thing to lift my legs into cars, but I want to find a car where it's not needed so I look and feel like most other people and don't need equipment to do it :) Yep I get dla. I looked into leasing a car but the proposed changes (that they won't commit to yet) to the dla benefit put me off. I was awarded a life long award that they've now said will be quashed for everyone they awarded it for (I mean no one gets a life long award). Plus I really count on that money to be honest when I weighed up the pro's and cons (I came VERY close to doing this a year ago actually).

Really interesting to hear about 3 doors too as I had considered a 3 dr again to throw my crutches behind the seat. Proper seats are as you say a must :) so that was helpful. I also heard good things about the cube. Although didn't feel it was 'me'. I look *drool* at all the beautiful cars on the market then look at what I can get into *lip quivers* and they don't feel like they match me - if that makes sense? (I'm sure lots of people must feel this frustration and I also really feel for you guys too). I even gave back my nhs crutches and bought black sleek ones instead to make them less noticeable.... *issues... issues.... I know* :)

ps. lol! you do make me laugh! :) Seriously my legs are all the way up to my arm pits lol! I think I was built on a friday... I'm like one of these shiny but duff cars you get on ebay that brake down every time you take it past 10mph ;o)...

Last edited by: confusedgirl on Sun 5 Feb 12 at 16:12
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Stuu
Mercedes A-Class/B-Class?

I know the boots will take a wheel chair.
I sat in the A class (how lovely!!!) - got in (excited because it had flat sills), then was really disappointed as my head was on the ceiling with the seat at the height I needed! lol! I looked a womble :(

Never heard of the B class.... I'm off to google!
.... oooo that's a pretty car :) :) I'm going to look into it! Thanks! :)
Mitsubishi Grandis is a lesser known car, as is the Space Wagon that came before it, but I know someone with the latter and its a very spacious and reliable over the long term.

The newer Grandis is quite big but some think its stylish.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - mikeyb
Grandis is a good suggestion, so lets throw in Galaxy / Alhambra / Sharan to. Lots of Autos out there, high seating position, and if only used as a 5 seater massive boot
We have a SEAT Alhambra diesel and can confirm that entry & egress are both easy.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Dutchie
Long legs you are sexy.>:)
Citroen C3 (never tried will>> check out thanks sounds promising too!)

I mislead you sorry, didn't mean C3, meant C3 Picasso, however by all means try the C3 too, i doubt it will be big enough boot wise for your needs.

Let us know how you get on.
*Drools* a Mitsubishi Grandis is a VERY nice car!! I like that one a lot! "The newer Grandis is quite big but some *inserts confusedgirl* think its stylish" ;o) Thanks for the suggestion! Never heard of it (I know... I think I've been under a rock!). My only concern is it looks pretty massive (but I love it!). The zafira was the only mpv I sat in that I didn't feel overwhelmed in... but the grandis is certainly something I HAVE to try!!!

I'll have a look at the Alhambra too thank you! :) I tried a new galaxy and could get in (not an older shape though - this would be the one I could afford) and I looked behind me and panicked at the sheer size. How do some of you guys manage these things? *panics*. I am in awe! lol!

I sometimes have to get my focus into tiny spots just to get close enough to places and I genuinely worried that with a bigger mpv would I have to park further away just to put it somewhere (esp if disabled bays were taken or if there weren't any) and then not be able to get to the place I need with my legs (I doubted any poor passers by would be willing to fire mans lift me to the building either lol!). I can park pretty well (for a girl!) but I'd never proclaim I can park like I see some do in mpv's! I mean.... w.o.w! lol! :) *gives them a little round of applause whilst has visions of myself backing into someone's nice BMW*.

I tried and loved the sharan. I wanted to like it more than my body did. I even took a long time getting my legs in trying to convince myself that it might work out (which concerned me if I get worse) but I couldn't manage the weight of the boot (this was the same issue on the citroen xsara - I couldn't even open that boot). Pah! talk about high maintenance!! I considered the possibility of befriending passers by when I needed boot access but figured they may think I was a bit of weirdo lol!

C3/C3 Picasso... they have different models? oh dear! I think I need to crawl back under that rock of mine! What did I say about you all rolling your eyes at me ;) Thanks gordonbennet! lol!

The Grandis is longer than a C-Max for example, by about a foot and a half - however its also 9 inches narrower, which you may well notice if you drive around town.
The grandis is a HUGE bus.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - WillDeBeest
The Grandis is a HUGE bus.

I wouldn't put it that strongly, Z - although bear in mind that, as apparently one of the few here who can out-leg CG (and I don't mean our friend in Norwich), my tastes run on the long side. The one I drove seemed wieldy enough, although I didn't try it in a multi-storey. And if CG needs an auto, she'll be spared the awful VW PD 140 diesel engine, which is manual only. Auto means a 2.4 petrol and, sadly, the fuel bills to match.

I did feel I sat high up in the Grandis, but then I have ten inches...sorry, ten inches on CG, only three of them in the leg. Hair was never blond, though - even when it was, erm, there.
That's my concern re:it being huge. That's really interesting to hear considering I think (?) my focus is roughly the same width as the cmax and I already find my focus pretty wide and hard to get out of if there's no disabled spots! So the narrower the better so thanks for that info!! :)
Last edited by: confusedgirl on Sun 5 Feb 12 at 22:09
>>So the narrower the better so thanks for that info!! :)<<

Indeed, getting my nan out of a wheelchair or into it requires opening a door wide, something that people not affected by these things dont consider.

Im also of the view that unless you do alot of on-street parking, id sooner have an extra 9 inches width down a side street than a foot less length at the back of a car, especially as these MPVs have very flat rear windows so you can atleast see where the back is.

The Grandis is about 8 inches narrower than a Focus, depending on model.
Last edited by: FoR on Sun 5 Feb 12 at 22:25
You are absolutely right FoR. The wide (3 doored version) doors on my focus have become a disaster for this now. I'd never realised I'd bought such a wide car lol! :) If I see anyone elderly I always pull back out and re park over a bit to give them as much room as I can, but being young, people don't realise I need so much room myself, so yep, narrow cars are a huge benefit.

33" Boxsterboy ;) - interesting to hear that you found the Cmax easy and a good drive. Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Boxsterboy
I too have a 33" inside leg (but not blond hair and blue eyes) and found the C-Max I drove a few years ago very easy to get in and out of. And they drive very nicely too - similar to your Focus.
Two-door cars are a pest to get in and out of, even if you are not raspberry rippled.

The CC3 (confusedgirl: that's my car, a girly convertible Focus) is wide, has long doors and a high sill to lift your leg over.

Despite the long door, most of that length is over your right shoulder which means even with the door wide open some leg folding is required to miss the pillar where the door hinges are.

Nice car, but access is not it's strongest point.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 02:42
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Gromit
You might be best off starting your car search with a visit to either your nearest Motability fitter or, failing that, a dealer that specialises in Motability sales.

Wife's uncle is severely physcially handicapped and now barely mobile with a walking frame; he couldn't get in or out of MIL's Focus estate or FIL's Volvo XC60.

With a quick visit to the local fitter who installs hand controls, seats, wheelchair ramps etc in the local equivalent of Motabiltiy cars (we're in Ireland), they found a swivelling front passenger seat that allows him get into a car easily BUT it only fitted three-door cars because you need the larger door of a three-door so your legs swing clear of the doorframe when rotating the seat.

Result: Focus estate swapped for Focus 3-door and new seat installed at minimum cost.

Failing that, try a specialist dealer. The inlaws did, and came away with a handy shortlist of cars that could - or could not - be adapted for their needs. Remember, too, that modifications such as hand controls need to be serviced. Its useful if this can be done closer to home, and this may affect the car you choose. In the Inlaws' case, Citroen Berlingos, Renaults and Hyundais seemed to be the cars of choice for wheelchair mods - all to do with fitting a ramp between the back wheels, apparently.

Good luck with your car search!
...they found a swivelling front passenger seat...

Good thought, when I was chronic with the hip, I was told of fairly cheap padded turntables which just plonk onto the existing seat.

>> I'll have a look at the Alhambra too thank you! :) I tried a new
>> galaxy and could get in (not an older shape though - this would be the
>> one I could afford) and I looked behind me and panicked at the sheer size.
>> How do some of you guys manage these things? *panics*. I am in awe! lol!

Easy to say, but try to not get to hung up on size - I know a few people who think they will find something to big, so just end up buying something which is really to small for their needs, although in your case I think your specific needs will be the overriding factor

The older Sharan / Galaxy / Alhambra's are a little smaller than the new one you tried, and the Tdi / Auto combo works OK.

TBH for us on here its quite exciting having a discussion based upon real world needs rather than man maths trying to talk us into / out of something :-)
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Auristocrat
How about the Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga or Skoda Roomster?
Mazda Premacy (was commended by What Car for ease of access - only up to 2004 though) or Mazda 5 (replacement for the Premacy, and has sliding rear doors)?
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Auristocrat
Would something like a Ford Tourneo Connect or a Fiat Doblo be worth a look?
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - ToMoCo
Honda Shuttle (or the newer Odyssey?) might be worth a try.
I nearly bought a Fiat Doblo once daughter put me off.

I found the car nice to drive easy to get into and a massive boot for the wheelchair.

Just a thought you can always give it a try.
Dont recall the Doblo coming with an autobox.

Fiat Qubo does though, apparently not too bad.
I don't mind Fiat had a few Puntos no problems.It's getting in and out the car with a disability.

I have to help my wife who is disabled getting in and out the Focus ours is a five door.She is happy with the car.
We have the conundrum in reverse.
We are still considering downsizing our Alhambra 1.9tdi SE 7 seater to a more affordable beast.
We do under 10,000 miles a year now, so the diesel advantage is outweighed by the extortionate cost of that fuel in the UK.
If we go to a smaller car with an equivalent MPG to the SEAT, we will save around £90 a year in fuel costs.
Our RFL is £190, so a move to say, a band E at £115 would gain another £75.
Insurance for the Alhambra is a touch under £300: a Panda sized car would cut about £50 off that.
So far the potential savings are C£200 a year.
The Alhambra will need tyres soon at C£100 a corner, so that is also a thought to bear in mind.
We can't lay out money to change so that limits our options, too.
I quite like the Panda from my recollection of it when driving a rental a few years ago, but is the culture shock too great?
SWMBO is of the opinion that if it starts, stops, is cheap to run & easy to park that's enough at our age!
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Runfer D'Hills
One is moved to wonder out loud if a Focus would suit you better? As in one similar to the confused young lady has...

Just saying...

:-)
Nope - the fuel economy is worse and the RFL no better.
Ah !

Never mind. It was all beginning to look like a happy coincidence for a while there.

Funnily enough we acquired the Alhambra from a bloke who bought it to go to Spain: realised it would costa bomb to transfer to Spanish plates and wanted a LHD Spanish plated car. Result - our Skoda Fabia1.9tdi + a handful of euros and we had a UK plated, taxed & tested, lump for our return to the UK! (It's been a godsend collecting all the eBay-bought Ercol furniture, with which we have equipped our house).
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - CGNorwich
If a car is running ok changing it for a potential saving of £200 per year doesn't make much economic sense to me. Better the devil you know.
£200 - That's 1.25% of our annual income - enough for our house & contents insurance aplus a third of our car insurance
But £200 is a theoretical saving - you could end up with a pig in a poke, especially if you can't add any cash and you could be a lot worse off.
But £200 is a theoretical saving - you could end up with a pig in a poke, especially if you can't add any cash and you could be a lot worse off.
Roger - stick with what you have. Better the devil you know and all that.

£200 could be lost very quickly in just a few consumables
A retired neighbour of mine used to have an old Galaxy. He used to make an odd bob or two doing casual "man with van" type runs. Taking peoples rubbish to the tip, shifting furniture for students and so on. Card in newsagent's window sort of thing. Might be worth a punt? Think he charged so much a mile and £10 an hour or something like that.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Harleyman
Think he charged so much a mile and
>> £10 an hour or something like that.
>>

Would help to pay for his fine if he got stopped or had a prang, and it was discovered that he was using the vehicle for hire and reward, which could in theory nullify his insurance.
Shouldn't think he's bothered. Snuffed it a year or so back.

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Boxsterboy
Yes, selling a car to save £200/annum makes no sense to me either. The biggest cost in selling a car is always depreciation, and this only happens if you sell. Keep the car, no 'actual' depreciation.
If one can do a deal where cash outflow = cash inflow, there is also no real depreciation, i.e. no ££££ out of one's pocket.
We actually both quite fancy a Panda!
A couple across the road have one and ingress and egress are pretty good!
"If one can do a deal where cash outflow = cash inflow, there is also no real depreciation, i.e. no ££££ out of one's pocket."

Only true if you can buy and sell in the same market. If you sell privately and buy through a dealer or part exchange through a dealer you will lose around £1,000at least. You need to sell privately and buy privately and achieve a fair deal on each transaction not to lose out.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Armel Coussine
Confusedgirl hasn't posted since Sunday night. One can only hope her physical problems haven't taken a turn for the worse.

More likely, it seems to me, that she became even more confused following the coyote-like howling at the moon elicited from some here by her alleged measurements. Or perhaps less confused, and has gone off to some other forum to repeat the exercise.

Funny place the internet. Not undodgy.
>> Funny place the internet.
>>

You are not alone with your suspicions. :-)
There are a number of posters on this forum whose stories somehow don't quite ring true . As AC says, dodgy place the internet.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Armel Coussine
>> There are a number of posters on this forum whose stories somehow don't quite ring true

But it can happen to the best of us (so to speak). My third or fourth post on HJ, a few years ago now, got a scoffing response from someone or other. 'Pull the other one!', that sort of thing. I can't remember what the post was but it was probably an interesting anecdote, interesting to me anyway. Like all my posts that aren't obvious jokes, it was true. I seem to remember posting a reply that was on the abrupt side. 'Frankly I don't give a fish's tit if people don't believe me', or words to that effect.

Thing is, a lot of people have lived very very sheltered lives and anything from outside their experience seems to them like fiction.
Wasn't you I was thinking of AC. I have absolutely no doubt of your authenticity and I only wish my life had been half as varied as yours.

At the end of the day of course it doesn't really matter whether people are "real" or not. It's just fun spotting the inconsistencies.
I do hope it wasn't me CG:)

It doesn't always do me a lot of good, but I'm an open book!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 9 Feb 12 at 18:47
Frighteningly real Pat!
Sometimes live is stranger than fiction.I believe you A.C.Not sure about confused girl.>:)

I hope she is real living with disability is no fun.
>> There are a number of posters on this forum whose stories somehow don't quite ring
>> true .

There a few that I cant believe, not the same as them not being true tho.

But then I dont exist, I am the figment of someone's imagination.
It could also be that she has a life and got the answers and car suggestions she was looking for. Not everyone comes to stay.

So far as her 'measurements' go, some growing up is clearly in order on the part of some folk here. Regardless of the humour with which she took it, it clearly wasnt why she was here and that 'boys club' mentality is in the poorest possible taste when someone just asks for car advice.
I couldn't agree more Stu, it's fine for me because I'm used to it and don't mind a bit, and you all know me now.

For someone making their first post, I thought she handled it very well but the fact still remains, she shouldn't have to have handled it at all.

Pat
I agree Pat but perhaps in the circumstances you might have phrased that a little differently. :-)
Having just read it back, I agree:)

But you all know me anyway so you know what I mean;)

Pat
Nice little car Roger daughter got one.Narrow car easy to park proven engine she has the 1.2 eco model.
We went to see a Panda, with FSH & a reasonable 65K milage on an 04 plate, located on the outskirts of Leeds; following confirmation by phone of a straight, not damaged car, only to find the rear bumper and both N/S doors a VERY different shade of yellow!
The dealer wanted an extortionate £2K for a straight deal, so that was a 38 mile, each way, trip wasted.
Nice drive up the A1(M) in the sun, though!
Awww *yells* HELLO!!! :D *frantically waves*

Am real, present, (will always now be broken lol!).... would be pretty awesome if I could make it to the moon though lol! ;) (catapult?)

A dvt, would you believe, pulled me away from this thread and into the nhs hotel *how rude of my body!* :) But these things happen. I just logged back on and was SO SO touched to see so many more replies! You guys seriously rock :) THANK YOU! This post will be bookmarked for a very long time whilst I work through all the suggestions :) I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I know I'm a newbie but that means even more when people take the time to give their advice, support, their consideration and kindness. I've said before, cars and me are clueless.... I'm not afraid to admit I've not heard of 80% of ones suggested and been copying and pasting into google like mad lol! I'm so sorry I can't reply to everyone separately - I really want to but I fear I may annoy everyone with my waffle :) That makes me feel incredibly rude as I've been answering you out loud like I'm a loon so thank you!!

Don't worry - I'm not offended by anything :) Many of your posts have made me really laugh... a lot. You are a GREAT community of people. I agree, the internet can be a bizarre place :( it is such a shame... but I really am a blonde broken girl made up of legs and a head who can't get in car's now her disability is a lot worse lol! ;o) I haven't been on other forums actually as you guys have been so utterly fab... you guys really think anyone else could come up to your standard now? :) It's actually quite scary coming on to a forum full of so many clued up people asking for help... hey... you guys could've thrown rocks at my head and told me to naff off ;) So thank you for being so welcoming and awesome.

I've tried mobility routes for help/advice (they pointed me to the old zafira) and the motability salesman at the showrooms and they've said they've never come across anyone with such a severe/complex difficulty as me (many have flung their arms around me afterwards bless them like I was their daughter, they have been so cool, but lot's of new cars are more streamlined which has proved difficult with doors and my legs). Lots of traditional disabled equipment isn't right for me either because there's nothing designed for people like me (as what's happened to me is incredibly rare). Makes life interesting ;o)

*Gentle cuddles to the girls*/*gentle high fives to the fellas* for those also who have challenges of their own or have partners/parents/kids/grandparents etc who do, who have shared their experiences. Thank you. Always have huge respect for others going through extra difficulties on top of everyday life.

Will be trying out all the cars I can find, thank you so much for your suggestions and help :) Car4Play.... you've made my day :)
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - WillDeBeest
Good to hear from you again, CG, and best of luck with completing the search. Looking can be fun and frustrating and often both at once. A good salesman does more listening than talking, so I hope you find some who know that.

And do come back, not just to tell us how you get on (although we want to hear that too) but just because it's what we do. You don't need big news or an important question - we often witter along quite happily on nothing at all.
Aw thank you WillDeBeest :) I will definitely. I have been nervous about contributing on other posts (I have read them) as you guys really know what you are talking about and I erm... really don't :D but you are such a great community I am happy to dive in and chat :)

On a side note... does any body know anything about old freelanders? (2005 ish-not the new shape though). Are they just really unreliable and expensive to run/maintain? - if so I want to stay clear... I could get in them with a step on the side... but have heard such mixed reviews. Must say it's making me think again about bigger cars (having been to scared about a galaxy)... My head is currently on the ceiling of my focus... not a good look :)
Yep, had my own head-on-ceiling experience for long enough not to want to go back there.

As for Freelanders, a friend who's almost my height and had, at the time, two similarly tall teenagers (he still has them, they're still tall but they're no longer teens) chose one as a company car in about 2000. He ended up hating it and couldn't wait to be rid of it. It broke down, it let in water from above and below, it spent weeks off the road awaiting parts; I didn't even think the space was that good. I think that model would be what you'd get if you bought a 2005 car.

Have we mentioned the Citroën Berlingo and its Peugeot cousin? Hardly the height of style - although you could make the kind of anti-style case for them that some do for Birkenstocks. Probably the only car I've tried that I could have driven in a top hat (but not with the Birkenstocks), and the square shape would lend itself well to modifications to take mobility gear - I'll defer to others here on that.
Ahhh thanks so much for the heads up on freelanders ;) It's very similar to what I'd heard (the water thing and breaking down) and I just wanted to check the rumours were facts. If I broke down I would be stranded really so I needed something reliable if poss. Really, really appreciate your advice.

Firstly, I am so worried about this hurting/offending anyone... so please be assured, I wouldn't mean it to in any way at all because it's not my view about others, just me trying to get by as a young woman unnoticed knowing she gets stared at a lot (which I am very conscious of). I'd held back from all the more suitable cars (the ones that I know would suit me down to the ground deep down) due to not wanting my disability to be more noticeable to others (until of course I have to use crutches or use my chair). This is NOT my view of families with these cars AT ALL but since things getting worse I've been stunned at how brutal people can be with their stares, comments and perceived stereo types. This is certainly not a woe be me ;) but it has been an enormous shock to the system. Hence I try to get by without people noticing me in the first place lol!
confusedgirl

your car is the tool that lets you carry on with your life less hindered by your disability.

you cant really hide in the background becuase people will still notice and stare so the best option is to get on with your life and get what you need out of it and not anyone else telling you what you need.
if a rolls royce is the car you need then buy it or a £500 banger suits the bill then get that.

if it was me i would go to EVERY main dealer and try EVERY model they have in there new range and if not suitable see what adaptions they can do to help and then check Every model in their used ranges aswell. this exercise could take many weeks but you WILL find the right car enableing you to live your life to the fullest without the wrong car holding you back.

if you get higher rate dla mobility then take the proff n to the dealers and they will bend over backwards to help and if the dont ,call motability and explain your problems. i know it gets exceedingly tiring but a vibrant young woman needs to live the time she has to the fullest possible. even if you dont want to use your dla award in the end for a car the search WILL eventually produce the right car and then you can decide how you will pay for it.

if your in around chichester/portsmouth i'll spend a few days driving you around to dealers etc.
This outfit may be able to help. No personal experience but a severely disabled friend used them and was well impressed. I believe they do all manner of adaptations and modifications.

tinyurl.com/88m4yb6 (Brotherwood.com)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 18:25
Oooo thanks so much for this link! tinyurl.com/88m4yb6 (Brotherwood.com) Will have a good look :) Very much appreciated!
nyx2k I applaud you. You are quite right. Thank you. So very well put! I think I am slowly grasping this... I was hospitalised with my disability in my late teens for quite a long time and on release went into this weird denial that I could beat it (?) *rolls eyes* and ignored medical advice (to use a chair and crutches).. my (poor) team were very patient with me. In the end it progressively got worse (mmm funny that!) and in they came - transformed my bathroom, house etc and I was amazed... you are so right, disabled equipment made me ABLE! Doh!! (Told you I was blonde *belly laughs*).

However with this, being young, as my disability worsened dramatically, friends didn't know how to deal with it so some dropped me, avoided me, which I've found hard (I guess this must happen to people in all circumstances and ages too huh?), which I think always lead me to keeping it as low profile as possible in fear of more disapproval. However this past year things became so bad I can now stagger to the loo on crutches and use a chair for other things.. mmm you can see I do a stirling job at this disguising thing ;)

I certainly do - highest rate of both. You hit the nail on the head. I am desperate to life as full and thoroughly happy life as possible. I can't do very much but what I can do I want to do it beaming ear to ear :) You are right, I shouldn't worry about others....they aren't always going to change. So I need to concentrate on me.

I'm up north - that is so nice of you to offer! I am genuinely so touched, thank you! That is so kind of you. I am actually doing my degree at Portsmouth Uni :) (distance learning).

>>I have been nervous about contributing on other posts (I have read them) as you guys really know what you are talking about and I erm... really don't <<<

Neither do I half the time CG, but have you looked in the Non Motoring forum?
We talk about any old rubbish we feel like there and I'm sure you'd feel at home.

I didn't mean that like it reads but you know what I mean:)

I'm glad you came back again and hope you're feeling better now.

>>I've been stunned at how brutal people can be with their stares, comments and perceived stereo types.<<

Ignore them, stand up straight and tall and if you can't do that in your body then do it in your mind, and tell yourself that YOU are a better person than they'll ever be.
You can cope with it, they sadly can't and it says far more about them than it does of you.

nyx2k.....that is a lovely thing to offer to do, and it just reminds us all that there are still good people in this world.

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 19:04
Hi Pat :)

I didn't even realise there was other parts to the forum! Thanks so much for the heads up! I will go and have a look when I get a minute! That was really thoughtful.

Thank you for your well wishes. I'm back on warfarin so I'll be fine no doubt :D I hope you are well and had a good week?

You are right. I had a woman in Mc Donalds gawp (gawp not even stare) at me so badly and for so long last week I actually stopped and turned round and looked back. She almost died. But she just wouldn't look away I didn't know what to do in the end. I'm used to 80% of people looking but she was really rude.

Aw thank you. That is such a lovely thing to say and really made me smile :) I'll remember that. And I totally agree, nyx2k - it was lovely :)
I'm on crutches following a hip replacement and I've noticed a few people staring.

But I am an otherwise unremarkable looking bloke in his early 50s, so I suspect it's a case of 'it's different for girls'.

Most people are very kind, and in some ways the crutches have been a benefit.

When I'm out hobbling, passers-by are more likely to stop and pass the time of day with me, than with an able-bodied walker.

Those on here who walk dogs may have noticed a similar effect.

So sorry to hear about your hip Iffy. I actually find young women mainly to be the ones who stare and make comments (and even bully). Men (all ages), elderly, older both men and women, have always been really cool. Disability really brings forwards what people are all about and I've been horrified and saddened by some and overwhelmed by others :)
...So sorry to hear about your hip Iffy...

Kind remark, but I'm cooking on gas compared to some, OK, you, in that I have a reasonable expectation of being rid of the crutches within a few months.

What I didn't like was being crippled before the operation, near constant pain and a glimpse of a lifestyle I would find difficult to deal with long term.

"I have a reasonable expectation of being rid of the crutches within a few months.

What I didn't like was being crippled before the operation, near constant pain and a glimpse of a lifestyle I would find difficult to deal with long term."

I am seriously happy Iffy you can be fixed :) Or at least greatly improved. Most of my life is lay down now but you know what... I bet I'm the only girl who gets breakfast in bed everyday lol! ;o) I also get to drop things constantly and get others to pick them up like girls did 100's of years ago... there's got to be something in that?? ;o)
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - swiss tony
How I detest people who stare at others that are not so able-bodied as their-selves.
I am lucky to be able-bodied, although my body is showing its age, and is wearing out all too quickly, but having a cousin who suffers badly from Cerebral palsy, I understand the issues all too well.

Sadly even in this day and age, many suffer the delusion that a knackered body, means the brain must also be less than perfect....
... to that idea I would suggest one name - Stephen Hawking, one brilliant brain within a truly broken body.

Anyway, welcome back CG, I'm afraid I can't really help with any advice, but do wish you the best, and how to see many more posts from you, in all of the sites threads!
Ditto Swiss Tony. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. It's so sad that people feel that when others are not so able that they can have a good stare. When I first started using my chair a few years back it took me around 6 months to manage more than an hour in a shopping centre as I left crying each time due to people staring. I found it incredibly difficult to grow thick skin.
Agreed Stephen H rocks... you know, since some of my friends ran off I have met so many more people who are so much more inspiring, many disabled themselves so I was the lucky one after all :) I figured I needed a clear out to make room for all the better people :)
i have a brain tumour that isnt curable so have spent a month or so calling into old friends and current ones and telling them, i am amazed how many people think its contagios or something. several have stopped returning calls but some have been great.

one friend has a pretty big car collection with many mint condition 80's and 90's cars and i can borrow any of them when i want to. last week he bought a very tidy renault 21turbo with 25 k on the clock with full leather interior.

just keep persevering and you'll be fine im sure
So sorry to hear that nyx2k *comes and sits down with you and offers you a sweet*...in fact you can have the bag :). I have no idea what to say to make you feel any better without it sounding insulting so instead I shall just waffle at you ;) (me? waffling? well there's a change!).

Illnesses, conditions, physical challenges bring out a side in other people we never saw before. This can be heart whelming or at times heart breaking. Sometimes people don't acknowledge your need is in fact greater than theirs at that point and it should be how YOU feel and not how difficult it is for them to find the right words (so they avoid you/or whoever). I'd rather someone tell me "I don't know what to say" or them try and just put their foot in it, than avoid me and say nothing at all.

My son has special needs and when he was very small I went through similar then too (some friends deserted me-he is a handful bless him!). But a very wise friend told me it was a good thing as he was my very own filter! All the (pardon my french) pfd people won't come near, yet all the decent people will - and he was right. Everyone else has to go through life never quite sure who's who. At least we know :)

You need the strongest people around you, so that's who are stepping up to be there for you. The flakes are gone/going. You didn't and won't need them. You are being left with simply the winning team of the most awesome people. Go team nyx2k!!

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Feb 12 at 00:44
Thanks confusedgirl.

my closest friend said he hadnt a clue what to say or do which was a breath of fresh air as most gave out the same old lines. my closest people just got on with it and promised to keep an eye on the wife and 3boys and i know they will do a great job in the year after i leave them. there a few small businesses to run but the managers are excellent and will just keep on doing what they are doing now and keep sending my payments and keep things running over until my wife or children show an interest in running them or selling them.

Nick
I'm so sorry to hear you have a family and wife too Nick. I can relate a tiny amount as when I had my son I was very seriously ill and in hospital for a long long time. For a while they said they thought my cards were up and prepared me for the worse. Throwing a child in the mix seemed to magnify the painful process. No one but you is walking in your shoes but I know at the time I couldn't make sense of it. I was frightened, worried about my child (who had just me as I met my husband later on) and the only way I coped was denial (which I think people saw was strength...no.... it was just denial lol!!!).

I was one of the lucky ones... people ask me all the time why aren't I bitter, angry etc at the hand I now have dealt... one answer.... I am still here with my son. So I can only imagine some of the emotions you are going through with your wonderful family. I remember thinking things through or discussing it in too much depth is often way too painful so don't worry about replying or answering anything you don't want to. I understand that too. But I will talk away at you anyway :)

If you're anything like me it's hard to accept help. But do make your life as easy as possible... haha! yeah... good advice coming from a head strong stubborn woman! ;) (it's easier to tell this to others). Seriously though... when things work better for you, you relax more, your lovely wife and kids will be happy to see that in you. For example, I battled with a manual wheelchair for years believing an electric made me look more disabled (mmm my logic is a little weird at times!). I was SO miserable and in SO much pain. I was no fun to go out with ;) I even stopped buying things.... ok.... maybe this wasn't such a bad thing! ;)
After things got worse I knew I had to admit defeat and change to an electric... I LOVE IT! I feel like I'm walking again at super speed! My husband says when I'm out my bubbly personality has 'come back' :) he loves it. He told me how sad he had been watching me struggle and being stubborn. It hadn't dawned on me this would affect the few who loved me.

Just to know others are there is all anyone wants. In the end when each one of us goes through difficult times we want friends who will laugh with us, cry with us or come and sit in the gutter with us :)

Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Kevin
Slightly left of field but what about a Japanese import.

I pass a Jap import specialist on my drive into work and they always have a good collection of mini-MPVs in stock. Something like this maybe:

tinyurl.com/7uyy2e5

A few weeks ago they had something that looked like a 2/3rds scale VW Transporter, complete with VW badge. No idea what it really was but it looked neat. It would have looked even better with a surfboard on the roof :-)
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - crocks
I think it was probably a Subaru Sambar. www.subarusambar.co.uk/

I saw one in Guernsey a couple of years ago. It was really small but may suit cg's requirements.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - Old Zafira vs old Cmax advice for confused girl - Kevin
>I think it was probably a Subaru Sambar.

That's it Crocks! Well done.

It looked like the third one down on that page with tints and the chrome hubcaps.
Thanks guys! Never knew about imports/replicas... *hangs head in shame* have I been living under a rock? Do I drive around with my eyes shut <------- DVLA this last point is not true ;)

I have seriously never seen anything like either of those! Are imports tricky for parts etc?
I've turned into a anorak car spotter now (spotting cars suggested in this thread on the roads....)... I've even taken to circling car parks at 3mph with my list looking for them all lol! (I'm going to get arrested at some point for suspicious activity!) :D
Why would anybody gawp at you? Strange people around and simple.

Good health to you and good luck.>:)
Latest Forum Posts