Motoring Discussion > Replace the Mondeo with what? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 149

Replace the Mondeo with what? - Pat
Depending on the verdict next Saturday when the EGR is done we'll have to make a decision about which way to go.

Originally we had intended to keep it until next year and then go for a newer one but the unreliability of it has meant the decision has to be made sooner.

We need a good tow car, diesel, good MPG and fairly top of the range specs.
The budget will be £10000 including the Mondeo.

We have ruled out:
BMW 520d and 530d
Hyundi Santa Fe
Vauxhall Insignia
CRV (new shape)

Currently in the frame are:
Volvo XC70
Citroen C5

The BMW and CRV were ruled out because not getting much later model for the available money.
Insignia and Santa Fe because of the shapes!

Is there anything else we should be looking at?

TIA

Pat

Replace the Mondeo with what? - Meldrew
What about another Mondeo? Wide choice, loads of dealers and it is what you know. I see you haven't eliminated from your list buit it isn't on it either
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Zero
I would try driving the current one with a bit more fervour, more regular italian tuneups, after the EGR is changed. That may buy you some more time.

Unless of course there is more going wrong than just the recent cut out episode.

Anyway, dont like the Huyundai? then why not try the slightly better looking Kia Sportage.

www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203443389273

Knock the Volvo off the list, the only XC70 you will get for under 10 grand is an old leggy shed.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 08:11
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Manatee
I think the Kia equivalent of the Santa Fe is the Sorento, much beloved of caravanners but heavy on fuel. The Sportage is the Kia version of the Tucson, and more CRV sized.

XC70 is fabulous but heavy on juice and AWD problems are mentioned - not sure how serious that is but worth investigating if you're serious. Not cheap to fix.

I had great difficulty deciding on a replacement for the CRV. I'm not yet convinced I like the Outlander though it fared well enough in several inches of snow on Saturday night.

Good reports of the C5 estate - BiL has a 2.0 HDI, reports 44mpg (drives fast and heavily loaded). But would it be more reliable or cheaper to fix than a Mondeo?

Skoda Superb?
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Dave_
£10k? Skoda Yeti :)
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Iffy
The problems with the Mondeo are bound to knock confidence - I wouldn't cut the CC3 much breakdown slack.

But I reckon there's every chance the work you are having done on the Mondeo will fettle it quite well, which will enable you to revert to plan A.

Replace the Mondeo with what? - -
CRV previous model, Accord, Rav 4, Avensis T180, Citroen C crosser or Pug 4007 versions of Mitsi Outlander, Outlander itself.

Previous shape CRV, son's 80k 05 plate has given not a single hiccup, recent proper service at Honda was about £220.
He drives cars hard and normally sees around 40 to the gallon with 43 coming up on an 80mph run or 35 if he's leathering it locally, his wife gets 45 mpg normally.
Top of the range models like theirs still fetch serious money, with no shortage of buyers, like all Hondas of that era they are durable high quality vehicles and dealers are among the best.

Citroen and Pug badged Outlanders have 2.2 engine, very underrated car so long as you ignore and preferably remove the useless toy child seats from the back for extra boot space, 2.2 pulls like a train and has good low speed torque, 2 litre Mitsi versions i stalled regularly just like i do Mondeos and Focus Diesels so if you don't ever stall the Mundane maybe you would be fine with one.

edit, forgot you have a Outlander MT, is it the 2 litre and do you stall it or is it me?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 08:37
Chevvy Captiva/Vauxhall Antara.
>> edit, forgot you have a Outlander MT, is it the 2 litre and do you
>> stall it or is it me?

The 'auto' (dual clutch type) have the 2179cc 154bhp engine as in the Puegeots & Citroens.

They're all called 2.2 DI-Ds, but the manual version of the Outlander since 2011 model year has a different 2268cc 174bhp 'MIVEC' (VVT) engine.

Yes it does stall easily if you engage clutch without touching accelerator.

The Outlander/C-Crosser/4007 are effectively the same car now, bar this difference, and all UK ones are made at Nedcar. A pal has a C-Crosser which even has the same seats as my Outlander.
>> Yes it does stall easily if you engage clutch without touching accelerator.
>>
>> The Outlander/C-Crosser/4007 are effectively the same car now, bar this difference, and all UK ones

Thanks MT, somehow i missed your answer earlier in the week.

Decent enough vehicle whichever badge it weighs, wouldn't really want the ugly as a horned serpent Pug version though, someone kick Pugs designer hard for pities sake, that huge grill ruins every vehicle it ends up on, which is, well, every Pug.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Old Navy
>> Decent enough vehicle whichever badge it weighs, wouldn't really want the ugly as a horned
>> serpent Pug version though, someone kick Pugs designer hard for pities sake, that huge grill
>> ruins every vehicle it ends up on, which is, well, every Pug.
>>

It must be contagious, Ford grilles are going the same way.
I love the Mondeo but it has knocked our confidence in it so much. If it needs new injectors and a fuel pump (around £2000), there are still reports of people having gone down this route only for the problem to return some months later.
Our worst nightmare would be for it to surface again in June when we tow down to Cornwall, and that would be the perfect conditions for it to return if it was going to.

The re-coded injectors haven't cured it after a brisk run yesterday so it is looking that way.

The Olympus is nose heavy so it needs a fairly heavy car to tow it nicely.

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Dog
Why didn't you check the blimmin thing before you bought it??

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/mondeo-iii-2000/?section=bad
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/mondeo-iii-2000/?section=bad
>>

Good job this is a rest day mucho reading there and little of it good.;)
Could always put some of my music on and have another cup of coffee.

www.internet-radio.com/station/nirvanaradio/
Thanks D, don't know about the Nirvana music of meditation, the dog's snoring whilst cuddled up behind SWM's back folded into the tiniest of spaces and it was perfect accompaniment.

Good links from that site though.
My mate Dave at the caravan site rates his Sportage highly.

Upping the budget by a grand gets you a 2010 with sensible miles.

Should still have some manufacturer/dealer warranty, maybe even the balance of five years:

tinyurl.com/7fkks99
Don't like the shape much, it's a cross between the old and new shape CRV.

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Meldrew
I Understand recoding pat but they can also be reconditioned, a mechanical remedy rather than an electrical/software one
Yes, I know what you mean Meldrew but there are so many horror stories out there of people paying out for one thing after another to cure this problem and it always seems to recur, even after around £2000 has been spent.

I feel that sort of money should go towards a replacement and we can have reliability again.

Owning a CRV for three years spoiled us:)

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Old Navy
If there is minute debris in the fuel system from pump wear or damage it will be almost impossible to clean it out and the problems will recur regardless of reconditioned injectors. The high pressure pump is after the filter in the system.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 13:45
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - R.P.
Skoda Superb. VAG qualities without the cost.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Kithmo
>> We need a good tow car, diesel, good MPG and fairly top of the range
>> specs.
>> The budget will be £10000 including the Mondeo.
>>
For that money you should be able to get a recent, decent spec Mk4 Mondeo which is a totally different beast to the Mk3, the new PSA 2.0 TDCi engine is more reliable than the old one and I've not heard any instances of pump or injector problems since the Mk4 came out 4.5 years ago.
...the new PSA 2.0 TDCi engine is more reliable than the old one...

That's a relief.

But in Pats eyes its still spelt

F O R D

she'll not be knocking on that door again.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - RattleandSmoke
I would probably go with the Suburb as well, they are suburb cars. My uncle has had the old generation for five years and has been a brilliant car although it is starting to become troublesome. I think its due to its very high mileage it will now have.

What about a Mazda 6?
Honda Accord ??? Very underrated.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 15:39
Saw one of these today

www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201147430555428

Looks good
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Dutchie
Brother in Law has the Citroen C5 coming up to 4 years now.Two litre engine Diesel.

He is changing his car next year to a Citroen C5 again the 5 seater.He is pleased with his car tows a heavy trailer regulary and has had no problems.Just a thought Pat.
What's the Mondeo worth ?
Like the Superb, specially the 170:)

Like the C5 too but there are some bad reports around.

The Mondeo should fetch £1500-2000 if we can get it to run right;)

It has put me off Mondeo's...it stopped three times on Saturday morning, in the dark at 5am and -6 degrees.

The hours I keep I need to be able to rely upon a car.

Not keen on the shapes of any of the AWD's other than the old shape CRV and I have enjoyed having a car again, I must admit.

Pat
A shame about the Mondeo Pat why all the problems is it due to town driving? car is maintained ok.

No perfect car out there buy new or 1 year old and long warranty might be best.
I wouldn't have thought driving in the fens would cause problems, ideal roads for big diesels really. If modern diesels can't work properly in the fens where the hell do they actually work?

How about a Seat Exeo?

Slightly odd beast, but the VW mechanicals should be as reliable as any.

Stretching the budget a little gets you 2009/10 saloon or estate:

tinyurl.com/7ka86px

Car is maintained well but there are two things that may have affected it.

Ian uses the car for work during December and January so it means a 12 mile journey very early morning and again in the evening so iy never gets a proper run really.

The other thing is we both have very different driving styles.
He is very much into safe and fuel efficient driving at work for the financial rewards and does the same in the car by habit now.

I drive it rarely in the winter and I firmly believe in using every last bit of what you have;)
It comes from tring to get an old 240 Gardner up hills in Soth Wales while fully loaded, I think and I always have driven that way so whether that would prompt the fuel problems I really don't know.

The first time I drove it, it did this to me on a roundabout as I was accelerating out of it to see what it was made of but has never done it again, and it's usually Ian who drives, so has it been there all the time?

Pat
Funny you mention Gardner,we used to have a Gardner engine in the Pilot Launch ex snibby build.

You could be right about hubbys driving style give it some hammer.>;)
Honda Accord diesel 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 118,000 miles, Metallic Grey, MOT-09-2012, 3 Owners. LEATHER HEATED ELECTRIC SEATS SUNROOF ABS, Alloy wheels, Cruise control, Electric sunroof, Front armrest, Headlight washers, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Rear headrests, Isofix child seat anchor points, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Front electric windows, Remote central locking, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Audio remote control, Electric door mirrors, Front fog lights, Heated door mirrors, Rear electric windows, Solid Paint, Alarm, Leather seat trim, Heated front seat, Electrically adjustable drivers seat, Electrically adjustable passenger seat. Insurance Group:12, £3,000

Heated seats as well, keep Mr Pda 's bum warm while you scrape the windows clean.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 16:23
Didn't Pat want something newer though?
Yes, we do really.

We've had a plan to get something as new as we possible can before I give up working altogether.
I don't think that's anytime soon after talking with my old Boss at the weekend.
He's offered to have me moved to a downstairs training room next year and seems to think I will go on forever! I do hope so:)

Pat
Sorry Pat - misread the 10000 for a 1000...!
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Auristocrat
Kia Magentis 2.0 CRD?? Looked at the used car locator on the Kia site, and there are a number of 2009/2010 models within budget - presumably with the balance of the 7 year warranty. Also one which is Kia Approved which should have a full 7 yr warrabnty for £10,500.
www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/HONDA/ACCORD/MJ08ZDZ
Like the looks of the Kia Magentis, so I'll go and do some research on the Accord and the Kia as tow cars:)

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - rtj70
>> Like the Superb, specially the 170

The 170PS engine is good - well I think so. Some on here want twice us much power in their cars though.

How about seeing how much a Superb Estate 170PS 4x4 is :-) There's on three 61 platers on Autotrader though.
Skoda have to be a serious contender..
The Superb is a very capable tow car as Pat already knows. Budget won't get the 4x4 for sure but might get a 140PS diesel in a low trim level. There'd be more choice of hatchbacks I an guessing because it came out first.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - PeterS
>> >> Like the Superb, specially the 170
>>
>> The 170PS engine is good - well I think so. Some on here want twice
>> us much power in their cars though.
>>
>> How about seeing how much a Superb Estate 170PS 4x4 is :-) There's on three
>> 61 platers on Autotrader though.
>>

Does it need to be a Superb I wonder? It's a pretty big old car - an Octavia estate is still big, probably about in more numbers and (I think) also availaible as a 4x4?
>>> Does it need to be a Superb I wonder? It's a pretty big old car
>> - an Octavia estate is still big, probably about in more numbers and (I think)
>> also availaible as a 4x4?

Oops...too late to edit: tinyurl.com/7wpqkdh
A lot of car that for the money - how are the DSG ones for towing. I'd go for a manual and that should keep costs down but also I'd be concerned about the clutch plates when towing... not sure if that Octavia has the wet (so 6 speed) or dry (so seven speed) clutches for the DSG.
That extra 30BHP does make all the difference when towing Peter, we go up a 17% hill with a right angled single track bend to get to the site.

The Octavia lacks the heated seats and electric seat movement too which I find difficult to do on a bad day.

Pat
Wildcard....

£9,499
2007 JAGUAR S-Type 2.7d V6 XS

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 51,000 miles, Metallic Grey, 1 Owner. 1,OWNER,FULL JAGUAR SERVICE HISTORY,SUPERB CONDITION THROUGHOUT.FULL BLACK LEATHER.EXCELLENT VALUE. ABS, Alloy wheels, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Side airbags, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Traction control, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Drivers airbag, Isofix child seat anchor points, Heated door mirrors, Remote central locking, Height adjustable drivers seat, Electrically adjustable drivers seat, Rear electric windows, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Electrically adjustable passenger seat, Front fog lights, PAS, Trip computer, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Reverse parking aid, Alarm, Front electric windows, Space saver spare wheel, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Metallic Paint, Front head restraints, Electric door mirrors, Leather seat trim. £9,499
I do so hope Ian doesn't see your post.....:)

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - mikeyb
I can only speak from my own experience, but my C5 has been pretty faultless in the last almost 3 years. Only trips to the dealers have been 1st service (2nd due now) a safety recall for some trim that could be come detached, and another recall for replacement of windscreen wiper motor which will be done with the service.

Mines only the baby 1.6 hdi so no use to you, but worth considering the newer 2.0 hdi's are 160 rather than the earlier 140's. Also available are the 2.2 and 2.7 hdi's (the 2.7 is the same engine as in the s type)

Not sure if its helps, but the exclusive models get the hydractive suspension so may be good for towing a nose heavy 'van ???
The extra 30PS in my opinion makes all the difference full stop. Far more flexible than the 140PS variant - I know because as a motorway cruiser I found the 140PS lacking a bit. The differences is down to more than an extra 30PS and 30Nm of torque. I can only guess the turbo makes the difference and it happens to make it a better car.

I suppose what I've got would make a good tow car. Heavy Passat variant, 170PS diesel, etc. And heated seats and some electric movement to seats (12 way electric seats with memory were an option).
>> That extra 30BHP does make all the difference when towing Peter, we go up a
>> 17% hill with a right angled single track bend to get to the site.
>>
>> The Octavia lacks the heated seats and electric seat movement too which I find difficult
>> to do on a bad day.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Fair enough Pat - the one and only time I've towed anything was driving my Grandfather's Austin Maxi (bought new as an 'end of the line' in 1982) in 1988!! Suffice to say it lacked both power and creature comforts!!
Alternatively, and perhaps a bit left field, how about a Saab estate. Bound to be comfortable, likely to be well equiped and there must be some higher powered variants about. An example, though not sure what output the 1.9TiD is: tinyurl.com/7a2qgye

Alternatively the petrol version is 260PS I think! tinyurl.com/7gbjn5r

Peter
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 20:32
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Kevin
>That extra 30BHP does make all the difference when towing Peter,

Would this be enough?

tinyurl.com/7sk23wg
Do me a favour!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/octavia-2004/?section=bad
But to be fair, most cars have a "bad" page that long. For example:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/mondeo-iii-2000/?section=bad

Don't know if anything there relates to your car's behaviour Pat?
There are a couple of sentences in the 'What's Bad' bit of the Mondeo write-up that would appear to be unforgivable in a modern car IMO:

Criticised for "unstable body structure"
Possible security issue in that access can be gained via passenger door when car is locked and immobilised

Never mind the rest of of it!!

>>But to be fair, most cars have a "bad" page that long<<

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/lancer-2005/?section=bad

;)
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - WillDeBeest
...they are suburb cars

Doesn't Pat live out in the sticks?

Toyota Verso 2.2d? Probably not, but I think I've won the Committee round to the idea of selling ours. Ours has a tow bar too, but the nose weight is only 65kg, and we're right on that with the Acera rack and the current crop of bikes. The next child to need something bigger will take us over.

What's the max nose weight of the Octavia?
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Lygonos
You want diesel?

You'll never avoid the nagging doubt it might fail on you.
Really? Because of Pat's specific recent experience, or because diesels are somehow inherently untrustworthy like, say, Renaults?
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - DP
Renault make fabulous diesel engines.
The rubbish they bolt them into on the other hand..... ;-)
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Runfer D'Hills
>>Renault make fabulous diesel engines.

NURSE !

How about an X-Trail? Don't tell me, they don't have Renault engines do they?

NURSE !?

:-(
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think PSA diesels are to unreliable are they?
>> I don't think PSA diesels are to unreliable are they?

I've had three - 2 XUDs and an HDi. The cars all fell apart long before the engines.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Avant
Pat, not many have asked why you need a diesel. Before diesel cars became popular, petrol-powered cars towed caravans for years without trouble. If you find something with a good torquey petrol engine - VW or Skoda or SEAT for example - you might find it suits your needs.

To answer Rob's question above, my Octavia vRS (petrol) has a 6-speed wet-clutch DSG. I think the diesels do too. Smaller VAG models have a 7-speed dry-clutch DSG which apparently is less reliable and is jerky when manoeuvring. I've absolutely no idea why they needed to introduce the 7-speeder.
The dry clutch DSG's are more efficient (maybe less reliable?). The 7 speeds are likely to do with spread of gear ratios. A short first with a quick change to second and then a highly geared 7th gear? All about emissions.

BMW have very efficient automatics with 8 speeds now. Latest Porsche 911 has a 7 speed manual!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 23:34
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Avant
When I saw that about the latest 911 I thought back to my childhood in the 50s, when my father's Austin A40 with its 4-speed gearbox was well in advance of Fords and Vauxhalls with 3 speeds. (It was also in advance in that it started first go in the morning.)
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - idle_chatterer
A petrol Mondeo ? I ran 2 Mk III 2.0l petrol Mondeo Estates, both were pretty nippy, easily did mid 30s mpg and were extremely reliable (a reversing light switch under warrantee IIRC).

They were both Ford Direct cars, bought at 6 months old for a huge saving and considerably cheaper than their diesel counterparts both to buy and to service. IIRC the depreciation cost was the same or slightly less than the diesel after 3 years and 40K miles (and started from a lower figure too).
Another wildcard

2007 NISSAN QASHQAI 2.0 2WD 4X2 VISIA BLUETOOTH 5-DOOR AUTO 1 OWNER

Overview
Vehicle Summary
Performance & Economy
Dimensions
Interior/Exterior
Safety

5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 10,000 miles, Metallic Fired Iron Orange. Metallic Fired Iron Orange, Contrasting Grey velour interior, Nissan Bluetooth, Air-conditioning, Climate control, Electric windows and mirrors, Power steering, ABS brakes, Front and side airbags, Switchable front passenger airbag, which enables a child seat to be used in the front, ISOFIX Child seat preparation, Nissan stereo, Cd player, Stereo controls on Steering wheel, 3x three point rear seat belts, 5x headrests, Split folding rear seats, Front fogs, 16in Nissan alloys, Remote Nissan alarm, Just 1 Private Lady Owner from new, Only 13,000 miles from new, Full Nissan Service History from the supplying dealer, This vehicle can achieve over 35 MPG and costs only 245 pounds a year to tax, Low Road Tax, 4 Years RAC Platinum Parts and Labour Warranty Available, Over 200 Cars Available, Finance Available, NIL Deposit Available, Part Exchange Available, Have complete peace of mind, with the McCarthy Cars More details
And the price PU?

www.mccarthycars.co.uk/used-cars/view/519921/nissan-qashqai
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 08:57
Sorry to be late getting back to this one but Ian was only home from 7.30 last night to 4am today so most of our deliberations have been done on the phone this morning! Good job we get unlimited calls between both mobiles.

The Skoda Superb was in the lead by far until we read about the long rear overhang causing problems with noseweight when towing.

We've decided that neither of us want to go much below the 150BPH that the Mondeo has and at the moment the short list is as follows.

Citroen C5 2.0 HD1 16v VTR+NAV (160)
Kia Magentis 2.0 CRD1
Honda Accord 2.2 I-DTEC EX GT

The Kia is not such a good towing match as the other too but is acceptable just.
The Accord is not so roomy and the Citroen is OK but not an easy model to find.

Pat
Like I said Pat B.I.L. is very pleased with his Citroen C5 his is the automatic 2 litre Diesel.

He does a lot of short runs no DPF problems so far.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - ToMoCo
>> Citroen C5 2.0 HD1 16v VTR+NAV (160)
>> Kia Magentis 2.0 CRD1
>> Honda Accord 2.2 I-DTEC EX GT

From that I think I would go with the Kia.

The Citroen does look nice though. I had an 04 Accord tourer i-ctdi that replaced an 03 Mondeo tdci estate. Wish I had kept the Mondeo to be honest.
>> From that I think I would go with the Kia.

www.sniffpetrol.com/issue020.html

>> The Accord is not so roomy and the Citroen is OK but not an easy
>> model to find.

You dont need the +Nav, and if you drop to 140 bhp there are shedloads of good cheap C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ littering the forecourts in your price range.
>> You dont need the +Nav, and if you drop to 140 bhp there are shedloads
>> of good cheap C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ littering the forecourts in your price range.
>>

There's certainly loads of that spec about at very good prices - my brother bought an 'ex demo' one with around 8k miles on the clock at the end of last year. For the heated/electric seats you're after though Pat I think you need an Exclusive - they were thin on the ground and he gave up looking for one...
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - CGNorwich
Exclusive - they were thin on the ground and he gave up looking for one...

Loads on Autotrader
>>
>> Loads on Autotrader
>>

I can only see 8 manual diesels under a year old on there at the moment - not exactly plentiful IMO. He's not a 'car' person as such, and certainly wouldn't have travelled more than an hour to see/buy one I don't think.

Wouldn't bother me though; I like the C5 - think it's a fantastic looking car - but would want all the toys if I was buying one, just because!

Peter
I like the looks of the C5 but if I look at the Exclusive's they all drop down to 137BHP apart from one which is around 170BHP but higher tax and insurance band too!

Pat
>>You dont need the +Nav, and if you drop to 140 bhp <<

The fuel consumption drops considerably and the extra 20BHP makes one hell of a difference when towing.

I wondered what the EX meant Peter...off to have another look now!

Pat
Look pat, you have saddled yourself with a lot of "must have requirements" To meet those requirements you are going to have to compromise, and looks is the thing you will have to compromise on

"I don't like it because it does not look like our old Honda" does not cut it.

Ian needs to slap some sense into you.

Edit: in the nicest possible way of course
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 12:08
There, you've got it Pat you need a good slapping.I get the leather whip out.>:)
Zero, I don't do compromise!

I don't want it to look like the CRV at all, I want it to pull and handle like the Mondeo with the caravan on the back.

I want the fuel consumption to be as high as possible and VED as low as possible.

I want elctric seats and heated seats.....and a cup holder, now that isn't too much to ask surely.

There's a lot more we would have considered but when you match them to our caravan the match is way over 85% which isn't good.

Do I need to get the kinky boots out Dutchie? :)

Pat
Anytime Pat.<:)
>> Zero, I don't do compromise!
>>
>> I don't want it to look like the CRV at all, I want it to
>> pull and handle like the Mondeo with the caravan on the back.
>>
>> I want the fuel consumption to be as high as possible and VED as low
>> as possible.
>>
>> I want elctric seats and heated seats.....and a cup holder, now that isn't too much
>> to ask surely.
>>
>> There's a lot more we would have considered but when you match them to our
>> caravan the match is way over 85% which isn't good.

Thats a lot of "I wants" without the "I cash" to get it. Looks will have to go out the window to widen your search.

Its like this Pat, the more you compromise, the wider choice you have the more chance you have of getting a good example, By restricitng your choice, you the more chance you have of ending up with a another mondeo Lemon.

Dump the looks requirement. And differences in VED is a minute % of the total cost of motoring.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - ToMoCo
>> And differences in VED is a minute % of the total
>> cost of motoring.

Looked at rationally, yes. But come renewal every year a couple of hundred quid difference can be hard to swallow.

I've no idea of the differences involved here though!
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Westpig
According to this lot the VW Jetta is the one to have.

www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/273739/tow_car_of_the_year_2012.html&sa=U&ei=hVoxT-fmFMqChQfY17CJBQ&ved=0CBMQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEyU5F8UP-mqs1-euL9h155AW8qkw

The 2 litre diesel is 140 bhp. Plenty of them in the Autotrader, for your budget you'd be looking at '58' plater, although I appreciate the review was done on a new one.

Drive the Deal will let you have a brand new one for £17.5K if you could stretch some (manufacturer?) finance in to the equation
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - corax
>> I want the fuel consumption to be as high as possible

Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec B. Great towing vehicle, plenty of grip, hugely reliable and it's thirsty enough.

But I think you meant the fuel consumption to be as low as possible didn't you?

:)
If you go for the C5 you could go with the 2.2 hdi. This one is only slightly over budget and has heated seats :-)

tinyurl.com/79myfh5

Worth bearing in mind that you mentioned cup holders.......the C5 dosent really do them.....well, it has one, but its useless and an afterthought
>> The Skoda Superb was in the lead by far until we read about the long
>> rear overhang causing problems with noseweight when towing.

I'm interested in what the problem is? IIRC the max noseweight is 75-80kg dependent on year, which isn't the lowest in that class of car by any means - my first CRV was 60kg.

Is it a ground clearance problem caused by the overhang when fully loaded?

The Superb was the CC towcar of the year in 2008. Might not be so good if you have a very heavy caravan.
It's all in the brochure - along with maximum ramp angles, front and rear, which I don't remember seeing in anyone else's. Can't remember the value but it was enough for our future non-towing towing requirements. Can't see us often needing to park one in an underground car park with the bike rack attached.
We have a 2011 Olympus 464 which is heavy on the front end and why we changed from the CRV in a bit of a hurry last year.

Using www.whattowcar to match the car and van we really need to keep under 85% for good all round performance.

The rear overhang on the Superb makes that difficult.

We were so impressed with the 150PHP performance of the Mondeo and the fuel consumption when we went up to North Yorkshire last September and realistically I feel that if it's anything less than that, we'll be dissapointed.

I looked at the Jetta and liked it but no heated seats at all.

Citroen C5 2.0 HD1 16v VTR+NAV (160)

That's the C5 model we seem to come back to but there are not too many about within 100 miles of home and remember the Mondeo is slightly poorly to go looking for a car too far away.

I know Z thinks I'm being picky :) but all it is really is the need to get it right with the caravan. I wish we could hook a car to it to test drive it.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 04:37
Just had a look at your link Mikey, and that ticks all the boxes apart from being over budget.

I love black cars, Ian loves estates and Abingdon is just a couple of hours away (and a bit) from us.
I'll have a look on their website later as it isn't working at the moment and learn a bit more.....Thanks.

Pat

>> I know Z thinks I'm being picky :)

No, merely pointing out that if you limit your choice to one make model that is rare on the forecourt, you dramatically increase your chances of getting a lemon.
Specially as in this case, its a version where the engine is overblown compared to its stable mates. I would like to know where the other 25hp is coming from compared to the rest of the range.

but all it is really is the
>> need to get it right with the caravan.

So why did looks play a part in the choice?

All this reminds me why I never went in for Caravanning.
>> I would like to know where the other 25hp is coming from compared to the rest of the range.

You could say similar about my 170PS diesel vs the 140PS. But it's not simply a remap of the engine ECU. The car is 7kg heavier as well. Only commenting on my VW engine mind.

They say the 140PS can be remapped to about 170PS but the 170PS will get to over 200PS.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - AnotherJohnH
Is 7kg about the extra weight of a DMF, compared to normal?

Or is the need for DMF lower than 140Ps?

A bit late to the party with opinions about the ŠKODA offerings, the Octavia is a Golf underneath - it's not a Passat in ŠKODA clothes.

I understand that the Superb is Golf Mk V based too... in Cyril Smith's clothes?... which may explain some of the towing limitations, but not the "tow car of the year award".
>> he Octavia is a Golf underneath - it's not a Passat in ŠKODA clothes.

The Golf Mk5, Golf Mk6, Octavia and Superb are all based on the same VAG PQ35 platform. And so are a lot of other cars (Audi A3 Mk2, Audi TT Mk2, Volkswagen Touran, Volkswagen Caddy, SEAT Altea, Volkswagen Golf Plus, SEAT Toledo Mk3, Volkswagen Jetta Mk5 and Mk6,
SEAT León Mk2, Volkswagen Eos, Volkswagen Tiguan, Volkswagen Scirocco, Volkswagen Golf Mk6, Škoda Yeti, Audi, Volkswagen Beetle).... you can see how this saves VAG a lot of money :-)

The Passat and CC are based on the PQ46 platform which is a derivative of the PQ35 platform.

I think the platform is a red herring for towing. The PQ35 and PQ46 are more modular and flexible than previous shared platforms. Hence the Octavia and the Superb have different wheelbase length compared to other cars.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 12:29
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Auristocrat
The last generation Passat (B5) shared it's platform with the Audi A4. The Chinese version of this generation Passat had a 10cm longer wheelbase, to increase the space for rear passengers. The last generation and the current generation Skoda Superb are based on this longer Passat platform (B5.5)
The current Passat now uses a modified Golf platform.
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 12:44
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Dieselfitter
I've a lot of sympathy with Pat, as an ex. Mondeo owner and regular caravanner. Is the Volvo V50 D5 worth a thought? It's a decent solo drive with 180BHP and a Focus floorpan, giving a decent power/weight ratio and was towcar of the year a few years back. It was top of my list as the replacement for our MkIII 2.0Tdci estate. I managed to borrow a demonstrator for a couple of days and liked it a lot, but was put off only by the disappointing load space with rear seats up, which was a deal-breaker for us. Should be easy enough to find, too.

Sorry if this has already come up....haven't read all 100+ posts....
>>So why did looks play a part in the choice?<<

I was trying to indicate that I don't want the 4x4 look or as we call it in this house 'The bread van profile'

We want a car and the more we discuss this in the little time we have in the week we're both liking the Superb more and more.

The hesitation about that manatee, was with the Olympus being notoriously heavy on the nose we were wary of combining that with a longer than normal rear overhang.

I know we can load stuff at the back of the van to counteract the nose weight, but we're both lorry drivers here and know just how esy it is for the tail to wag the dog.

We've managed to find a car supermarket type place with two Superbs in, one 140BHP and one 170BHP, both Elegance trim and also 2 Honda accords, one an estate.

There haven't got a C5 but it's a starting point to visit on Saturday.

The Mondeo does need something special to match it for towing, it drives off wet grass with the van on, and pulls effortlessly up hills.

Pat

Replace the Mondeo with what? - Westpig
Seems to me the obvious solution is, as mentioned above, a newer Mondeo.

Low mileage, decent warranty and keep a warranty going (that you've thoroughly read the small print to ensure it covers everything), no supermarket fuel.

There are plenty out there that cause no problem at all.
>>Using www.whattowcar to match the car and van we really need to keep under 85% for good all round performance.

>>The rear overhang on the Superb makes that difficult.

I still don't see why the overhang is a problem, unless you're concerned about ground clearance? Provided you can get the noseweight down to 80kg without putting heavy stuff right at the back of the caravan of course. You must be about right on the 85%?
Thanks for all the help I've had in this thread despite the fact you've all lost patience with me at times:)

I've sat here this morning and read through every post again and listed all possibles.

We had intended to go off to Car Giant at White City early this morning because they had a reasonable selection of Superbsand a few others we are considering but it doesn't feel right.

Go on Z, tut and sigh at me again!

I know from way back when that if I feel something isn't right then it usually is very wrong.
Ian has always respected those 'feelings' of mine so when he finally gets up we'll go off to Peterborough and Cambridge to the Main Dealers and see what's on offer.

I've researched people's experiences with the car supermarkets and most of them are not good.

Our plan to get up to an almost new car before I give up working is a solid one, but doing it now uses our rainy day money.
With Ian's past health problems we know the rainy days can come back without warning, so we need to get this right the first time.

....then keep our fingers crossed for at least the next couple of years;)

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Skip
I would stick to the Main Dealers if you are looking at buying a fairly new car. I have trailed around a few car supermarkets in the past and their stock always looked scruffy to me, in other words the cars that the Main Dealers (or me) wouldn't want.

I hope it warms up a bit if you are going to be walking around car forcourts, I have just been and put a fan heater on the parcel shelf of the car to defrost it for the weekly run to Tesco, the temp display was showing - 9 !

Replace the Mondeo with what? - ....
Agree with you(pda) and Skip.

Car Supermarkets have their fans otherwise they would not exist.

I recently went with a colleague who bought a 4 month old car. His new car had bits of trim missing and some of the equipment had been removed by the light of finger.
While he was doing his paperwork I had a look around. a BMW 5 series caught my eye. 1 year old, only 3500 miles but the outside bolster on the drivers seat looked like it had lead a very hard life. Half the tool kit in the boot was missing too.
These places I think are too close to main dealers in pricing for me to consider at the moment.

I'm not saying main dealers are Eutopia either, they will cut costs to the bone as I found with the tyre and weights choice of a vehicle I recently looked at. With a main dealer I believe you can be a bit more choosy and are more likely to find something you are happy with.
Most uncommonly in an internet forum, I agree with all the previous comments about supermarkets.

There tends to be rough edges to the stock which may not matter to some buyers, but wouldn't suit most of us.

I trust Pat will remember to 'pop into' the Ford dealer, just in case they've got a nice Mondeo with all the toys and the newer, more reliable (and quieter) diesel engine.

Replace the Mondeo with what? - Bigtee
In 2006 when i bought my new Astra Carcraft offered me a new Astra at £700 more than the dealers and it was 4 months old!!

There great for browsing to look at plenty of choice but hide from the salesman, it's all finance deals they want there not interested in cash buyers.

How about a late 58 vectra diesel nice car to drive and run.
Last edited by: Bigtee on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 08:36

>> We had intended to go off to Car Giant at White City early this morning
>> because they had a reasonable selection of Superbsand a few others we are considering but
>> it doesn't feel right.
>>
>> Go on Z, tut and sigh at me again!

Nope not this time - I dislike car supermarkets. I dislike their staff, I dislike their sales methods, I dislike their contempt for the customer, their stock is usually ill prepared rubbish, and their prices are usually not that keen to put up with all those dislikes

>> I've researched people's experiences with the car supermarkets and most of them are not good.

Specially Car Giant at White City.
Friend has just bought an Astra GTC brand new, with 16% discount, 0% finance and a lifetime guarantee, looks a right bargain against the Octavia VRs which was twelve months old.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 08:45
...Specially Car Giant at White City...

Not the best of the breed, by all accounts.

Fords of Winsford enjoy a better reputation:

www.fow.co.uk/

I quite likes the um XC70, but it would have to be a one owner full main dealer serviced jobbie.

This'll do moi ~ goo.gl/hxFI2

Last edited by: Dog on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 09:01
Crikey, that's a lot for a six-year-old car! Not even the current model. You'd find a 2008 V70 for that, which is the same car as the latest XC70 but for some superfluous plastic and the equally unnecessary 4WD.

Bah, humbug.
}:---)
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - ....
They still have their traps Dog.
Having owned a Volvo for the last five+ years I'd be happy with a Volvo specialist stamps in the book over main dealer.
That AWD system is not as robust as you might expect wearing a Volvo badge. Good thing is the auto box has a module approach to oil cooling where extra rads can (and should) be added for towing.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Skip
Pat, have you considered buying new ? There are some cracking deals about at the moment & you will be able to choose the spec, options & colour etc you want. PCP's are ideal for me, but are not for everyone i know. Prices for late or nearly new cars seem very high at the moment.
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 10:29
...Pat, have you considered buying new ?...

At the risk of labouring a point, the Mondeo is being replaced, so there might be reasonable deals to be had on run-outs.

I would go for new if money is avalable.Or a good finance deal if there are any.

Enjoy now Pat rainy days are in the distance.
>>They still have their traps Dog.<<

As I see - via HJ, you can't beat the Japs really, for reliability, not everyone's cup o' tea I know,
but they always seem to top the reliability charts.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - swiss tony

>> As I see - via HJ, you can't beat the Japs really, for reliability, not
>> everyone's cup o' tea I know,
>> but they always seem to top the reliability charts.
>>

Fine as long as you don't mind driving a washing machine.....
Subaru twin tub anybody??
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Clk Sec
Lexus LFA. Faster spin speed.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - bathtub tom
Pat.

Have you had the EGR valve done yet and if so what was the result?

If that cures the problem it could well be a case of 'better the devil you know'.
>>I hope it warms up a bit if you are going to be walking around car forcourts<<

Well, it didn't so neither did we!

We got as far as March and our local Ford dealer where the Mondeo came from.
He plied us with hot coffee and quoted us for a deal on a 58 Titanium TDCi but without heated seats. 44,000 miles and just under £10,000. He even offered to have a Witter towbar fitted for us but we're hoping it will be a bit warmer next weekend to go further afield.

Pat

Edit to add.....It's black:)
Last edited by: pda on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 14:34
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - sajid
if you want reliablilty try the jap cars

toyota avensis
honda civic or accord the diesel ones got no dpf meant the ctdi
mazda 5

German

Vw passat
skoda octavia, superb
seat

Bmw 3 series
Mazda5 diesels, like the Mazda6 are known to have 'issues' with DPF. Nothing interim oil changes won't sort out. But worth bearing in mind.

I would think the Mazda5 or a Civic would be a bit small for Pat's towing requirements.
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - swiss tony
>> Mazda5 diesels, like the Mazda6 are known to have 'issues' with DPF. Nothing interim oil
>> changes won't sort out. But worth bearing in mind.

Bargepole comes to mind....
You also don't know the history of what has gone on before. When I had a Mazda6 I knew the oil level could go up - I read the handbook. So I kept an eye on oil levels and got the lease company to replace oil between services.

... it also had some gearbox issues in the last 9 months of me having the car. What used to be a very precise gearbox went very stiff and notchy. It also didn't have high miles when it went back after four years.

>> We got as far as March and our local Ford dealer where the Mondeo came
>> from.
>> He plied us with hot coffee

I would have left with his balls served up on a silver platter. Honestly Pat, you buy a Lemon from them and you go back to look for more?

You've been living in the Fens too long, developed Turnip brain.
The 58 Mondeo should have the more reliable PSA (?) diesel engine.

Pat likes the rest of the car, and the dealer, so it's an option worth considering.

>>You've been living in the Fens too long, developed Turnip brain. <<

At least my Turnip brain recognises a proper car when it sees one......

Might just go and have another look at it today.

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - teabelly
Toyota Avensis would be my choice. Go like stink with toyota reliability.

Citroen will be a pain as they have about 20 ECUS on them.

I have a sneaky feeling the volvos have a ford diesel engine in them so no better than the mondeo for longevity.

Kias are rough as a badger's backside. Dad test drove one a couple of years ago and it is like driving a tractor.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Feb 12 at 00:46
Well, we've been and had another look at the Titanium, and we had a full and frank discussion about the present Mondeo.
The salesman took it for a drive and when he came back the offer still stands.
We expressed concern about two mismatched tyres on the front so they are being changed for two new Goodyears to match the two almost new ones on the back.......and we've bought it:)

Collect it next Saturday after I finish work and I shall have to learn how to talk to a car without saying B*******, as she doesn't understand that!

Pat
Good. Sounds like a good motor - bet it looks good in black as well.
Ha'way then Pat, what's it like?

Well, we picked it up after I'd finished work on Saturday and it was pouring with rain, so after my very early start we parked it up and had an early night!

Yesterday was a busy day so we didn't get time to go out in it but tomorrow I have a business meetings in Huntingdon and Guyhirn so I shall get the chance to put it through it's paces (on my own) then:)

I'll report back on Wednesday!

Pat
As promised!

I love it, it's fun to drive, doesn't complain and the gearing is far better than the last one.
When I say go, it doesn't hesitate it just goes.

The route I took was thwarted by the A141 being closed between Chatteris and Warboys this morning so I took a detour to make my appointment on time on a road I suspect Fenlander may know.
The locals call it 'across the concrete'.
It runs fron the sixteen foot into Warboys, is single track at the top end and the concrete slabs have sunk.
It road over the undulations like a dream, did just what I told it to as well.
I can reverse on the mirrors perfectly but have absolutely no idea where the back of the boot is yet...good job we had the tow bar fitted.

I love the phone being able to talk out of the radio too, and yes, I know there must be a technical term for that.
Radio kept tuned into Planet Rock on DAB all day as well.

If I had to fault it in any way it would be the lack of electric seats and the driving position is a bit long for a 5' 1'' and a bit person, but I shall find the optimum position shortly.

I'm going to do a deal with Ian when he gets home tonight.

He can do his fuel efficient driving and it is my job to regenerate the DPF...I hope that's the correct term!

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Boxsterboy
They do drive very nicely those new Mondeos, don't they? And a big improvement inside over the old model. Enjoy.
Nice car Pat, don't bend it!
For the first time since I stopped driving lorries on a regular basis I found myself driving yesterday with a smile on my face!

My first longish trip in the Mondeo and I was certainly not dissapointed.

Despite an early start on muddy, damp Fen roads for the first 40 miles or so it hung on to the bens beautifully and gave me more and more confidence as I drove it.

I couldn't find the switch in the dark to adjust the nearside mirror and had to stop and get that set properly but I don't use the interior mirror at all and I feel like I'm driving blind if I can't check them both.

The M11 was thwarted by lorries:) (TIC)

That was mainly my fault as I just have to flash them out to overtake in front of me if they are indicating. It's worth it to feel the acceleration when they pull back in.

I sat between 80-90MPH and returned a fuel figure of 44.5 mpg overall so that's not bad.

Problems: A man designed the tail gate.

I loaded the boot for the return journey and tried to close it. Despite wearing heels there was no way I could reach it, I tried jumping but with arthritic bones it's not a pretty sight and finally someone came to my rescue, so it will all get put on the back seats in future.

Despite that, I love it!

Pat

Get Ian to fit a pull strap. One that hangs down a bit.
Now that is a good idea....as long as it doesn't involve using a drill.

Pat
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - Clk Sec
>>Get Ian to fit a pull strap

Or, better still, try one of these.

tinyurl.com/6pjl55h
maybe this may be more suitable

www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/fp6msw18/marshalltown-skywalker-stilts/
 Replace the Mondeo with what? - henry k
>> maybe this may be more suitable
>>
>> www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/fp6msw18/marshalltown-skywalker-stilts/
>>

Something a little more delicate for the lady?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16lbs-Extending-Magnetic-Telescopic-Pick-up-Tool-Ideal-Mechanics-tool-/280810319363?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4161996e03
At least she can close it if she reaches it, Iffy cant pull his shut now they have put the charles atlas boot struts on
If ya'll got an old um brella or walking stick, cut it in alf n' leave it in the car boot area, you could glue a peace (man)
of rubber or somesuch materiel to the area that contacts ze tailgate.
Latest Forum Posts