Motoring Discussion > Renault - Renault 4+ Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 9

Renault - Renault 4+ - mikeyb
Just seen a commercial for Renaults new offering in their cut down range.

All models now come with 4 years/100K warranty, 4 years breakdown and 4 years servicing.

Its taken a while, but are the long warranties offered by the Korean manufacturers starting to influence the rest of the market?

.....and how much longer will Smart get away with offering 2 years! Sounds really tight now
 Renault - Renault 4+ - WillDeBeest
I misread your heading, Mikey, and was thinking Renault had reconceived a 4 for the 21st century, perhaps to rival the Panda. Disappointed that it's just a longer warranty on a vehicle I'll never buy.
 Renault - Renault 4+ - Dog
>>I misread your heading, Mikey, and was thinking Renault had reconceived a 4 for the 21st century<<

+1
 Renault - Renault 4+ - Auristocrat
Only seems to be the UK market where these longer warranties are being used by manufacturers, aside from Kia and Hyundai.
With the Toyota 5 year warranty, the 2 year extension over and above the standard 3 year warranty is provided by Toyota GB. Elsewhere in Europe, Toyotas have the standard 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.
Vauxhall are continuing with the LIfetime warranty for the first owner, whereas Opel have dropped the Lifetime warranty.
The Renault 4 yr warranty/breakdown service/servicing is to try and stem their falling sales in the UK. The reduction in the range of Renault cars/vans in the UK is to try and consolidate their UK sales. In France the Renault warranty is 2 years, with extensions available.
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 21:57
 Renault - Renault 4+ - ToMoCo
I'm surprised the others haven't followed the Koreans. It would certainly be a big influence in any new purchase I made.

Has the 5/7 year warranty had any impact on the values of 3 year old Kia/Hyundai cars?
 Renault - Renault 4+ - Focusless
Didn't think it was that long ago when European manufacturers only offered 1 year warranties, which they had to up to 3 years to remain competitive.
 Renault - Renault 4+ - ToMoCo
That's true. Who made the jump to 3 years initially?
 Renault - Renault 4+ - Bromptonaut
>> That's true. Who made the jump to 3 years initially?

Difficult to say who blinked first but mass movement was around Autumn 2000. I ordered my Xantia in mid October with one (or possibly two) years. By time it was delivered on 30th deal was three but paperwork was only kust catching up with dealer hand amending some stuff.
 Renault - Renault 4+ - Auristocrat
For a number of years the three year warranties offered by European manufacturers comprised two elements - a one or two year manufacturers warranty, and for the remaining one or two years, a dealer network warranty. This was the case with Rover, Ford, GM, Renault, PSA, Volkswagen, etc. The dealer network were responsible for repair costs in their portion of the warranty.
I suspect for the UK market this is the same. For example Renault, Ford, Volkswagen, Peugeot and Opel all offer two year manufacturer warranties on the continent.
Japanese manufacturers have tended to offer only manufacturer warranties for either two (eg Honda) or three years (eg Nissan [from approx 1990], Honda [from approx 1998], Toyota, etc).
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 11:25
 Renault - Renault 4+ - RattleandSmoke
The five year warranty was one of the biggest reasons we choose an i10. It was certainly a major factor in buying something brand new instead of used.

My Panda has a three year warranty, but the third is a dealer only warranty and it is not as comprehensive. The Hyundai warranty is impressive, even the clutch plate has a two year warranty but the mileage on the clutch is limited to I think 24,000 miles.

I am not sure a 1 year warranty would be legal these days as cars have to be fit for purpose and if the car breaks after a year you could argue its not fit for the purpose.

Even in the old days, if the head gasket blew on your 18 month old K series surely even if it was out of warranty Rover would have still have liable.
Latest Forum Posts