Motoring Discussion > Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 14

Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Roger.
Considering a set of 4 new tyres for our chariot, I have been doing some on-line research; discovering that mid-range Avons may be had for around £107 per corner, fitted.
A brand new Halford's Autocentre has just opened in our town and as part of their opening promotions were offering "4 for the price of 3" on selected tyres.
Naturally being a tight-wad I called in, quite prepared to find that the size I wanted (215:55:16:97:H:XL) were not on the list.
After much huffing & puffing and feverish use of calculators the two blokes behind the counter conferred and one said "I can do you 4 for3 on the Avons for C£425(+-) fitted."
"Hang on a minute", I said what's the normal price for 4 of these?"
"£525 (+-) he replied. Now I happened to have checked on Halford's web site before going there and I knew that the regular fitted price of these tyres was around the industry average of £107(+-).
What sort of a dipstick do they think I am if I'm unable to see that the lying scrotes have inflated the "normal" price of 4 Avons in order to produce a"discounted" price equal to their normal retail fitted price? (Don't answer that rhetorical question!)
Their informal name of "Halfraud's" is deserved in this case!
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Crankcase
£95.62 each fully fitted at Blackcircles, £382.48 all up.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - diddy1234
some places just love to extract the urine!
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - mikeyb
.........but don't you feel valued that 2 of their finest personnel invested time in getting you the best deal they could?
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Roger.
No!
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Dog
Give National Tyres a go Dodger.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Clk Sec
My last tyres were sourced from a local independent who were considerably more competitive than the bigger outfits I had tried.

Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 11:58
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - madf
Roger:
They saw you coming..
( it's the trail of caterpillars what dun it)

:-)
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Shiny
I always go to independents as they re cheaper than all the big names who I suspect of 'soft' price fixing. You would think the big names would be chapter due to efficiency and purchasing power, but no. What is more, I bought some 4 x 205 55 16 Uniroyal Rainsport 2 for my last car for £65 each from an independent. Over £100 at some big names. Anyway, because I arrived first thing, the tyres ahd not been booked in, and had just been delivered, so I was able to see the delivery note and it said they were £33 each. Obviously that is ex-VAT and the resale price is with VAT but still nearly 100% markup.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Aretas
I bought a Tomtom at Halfords. I said the shop price was higher than their web price, and they gave me the web price.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Dave_
>> I said the shop price was higher than their web price, and they gave me the web price.

Parkers spares in Leicester did that for my recent car battery - saved me nearly 40 quid.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - bathtub tom
>> >> I said the shop price was higher than their web price, and they gave
>> me the web price.

Richer sounds have done the same for me.
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Dave_
>> Richer sounds have done the same for me.

And John Lewis for me, when i bought a new £75 electric shaver I went armed with a smartphone showing it to be half-price on Amazon, but it was half-price on the JL website too so that's the price which came up when it was scanned at the till (even though the shelf price was higher).
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 21:32
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - rtj70
>> I bought a Tomtom at Halfords. I said the shop price was higher than their web price, and
>> they gave me the web price.

I bought my TomTom in Halfords in late 2007... I knew it was cheaper online with them so I ordered to collect in store 30 minutes later.

JL will price match but only with real bricks and mortar stores - not online. They will also send someone out to check the price before they match it. You wouldn't expect them to go on word of mouth.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 21:56
 Not quite as green as I'm cabbage looking! - Rudedog
I price matched JL against themselves when I bought my last TV, I bought the TV on Saturday and by Monday it had come down by £80 so I contacted them as I think you have 30 days to use their price match promise, and they refunded the money the same day.
Latest Forum Posts