Motoring Discussion > Not owning but insuring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Not owning but insuring - smokie
Just traded in my Mondeo for a new Fiesta which SWMBO is going to have, and I will have her Focus.

Rather than put another owner on the Focus history, could she still be the registered keeper but it be insured in my name as main driver? She would be named driver, as I am on her policy.
 Not owning but insuring - Dave_
I can't see a problem with it, except that the comparison sites will be unlikely to offer quotes as you won't meet their tickbox definition of a standard situation.

Does the number of owners have any bearing on the value of a car when you come to sell it anyway? I've certainly never seen it mentioned before agreeing a price. If anything, the fact that it's been transferred from your wife to yourself would be seen as a vote of confidence in the car, it says it's good enough to keep.
 Not owning but insuring - CGNorwich
Certainly possible but some Insurers are not keen. Might be slightly more expensive. Ask your Insurer.
 Not owning but insuring - rtj70
Definitely possible. Driver of a car is not always the owner. Take company vehicles. My car is lease via company X. For third party claims it is insured with company Y. For everything else it's self insured by the company.

And there's also a difference between a car owner and registered keeper isn't there? Can you not be the owner if not the registered keeper?
 Not owning but insuring - John H
Whether you meant "registered keeper" or "owner", it makes no difference to many insurance companies.

Those who don't mind usually have a clause at the start of their quotation process which states "the vehicle must be owned and registered by you, your spouse, partner or civil partner" or some such statement.

Google the above words within the quotation marks.

Not owning but insuring - RattleandSmoke
I am the registered keeper of my Panda, but FIAT Finance UK owns the car until I pay it off.

The registered keeper doesn't always own the car but it is the amount of registered keepers that shows on the log book, not the amount of previous owners.
 Not owning but insuring - Dieselboy
The C5 is registered in Mrs DB's name but the insurance policy is in my name with her as a main driver. Done with no problem through IAM insurance.
 Not owning but insuring - bathtub tom
You'll find a few on the comparison sites won't like it, but I've found in recent years the question: Is it owned by you or your spouse? crops up.

Both out cars are registered in my name (SWMBO isn't interested in car hunting) and that hasn't made any difference in quotes.
 Not owning but insuring - nyx2k
my recent jaguar purchase was bought in my wifes name as the registered owner so it would be easier to sell later on and the insurance company were fine about this.
 Not owning but insuring - Bill Payer
I'm the RK and policyholder for both our cars and Mrs BP is the main driver of one of them.

I did consider having her as policyholder on "her" car only because she would then get the benefit of driving other cars cover which she's unlikley to use in practice, but I thought could be a useful legal backstop, and LV= told me that would be fine.
 Not owning but insuring - Badwolf
>> The C5 is registered in Mrs DB's name but the insurance policy is in my
>> name with her as a main driver.

Same with me and Mrs B. No problems whatsoever with the multi-quote fellows.
Latest Forum Posts