Motoring Discussion > Car not on DVLA or MIB database Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

Car not on DVLA or MIB database - smokie
As mentioned in my other thread, I committed to buying a 11 plate Fiesta today, from a well known Ford franchise.

He told me it's a "Jersey" car, sent across by Ford for rental. I've known about this trick of Ford's for ages, and I'm sure it's been previously discussed. It only has 500m on the clock. He told me that there is quite a few months remaining on the tax disc which we will get.

So I called the insurers earlier but the car wasn't on their database. So they checked on DVLA (apparently they have direct access) and it wasn't on there either.

Should alarm bells be ringing?
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - Dave_
Having delivered a fair few brand new cars over the last few months, I've sometimes put their registrations into ASKMID or DVLA just out of curiosity. On all occasions the searches have drawn a blank. The cars are all registered and taxed from either the day I deliver them or the previous day only, I've never been pulled over though*.

Yours will not have been registered in the UK (mainland) yet. I would imagine it simply takes a few days between the dealer submitting the information and the databases being updated.

*I did attract Plod's attention when I was sitting in a Renault Scenic, strapped down in the back of my curtainside low-loader, with the rear roller shutter open. I was on my tacho break at Scotch Corner and was using the opportunity to sit in the car and figure out how the satnav worked, so I could demonstrate it to the end user. Plod said that the Renault's (61) registration didn't come up on their ANPR, and furthermore that plain lorries like mine are often used by criminal elements to move hooky vehicles incognito. He was satisfied when I showed him all the dealer paperwork I had in the cab.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 00:08
Thanks, but tisn't brand new Dave, reg in July 2011, so the man said.
Has it been given an 11 registration yet, or is it still Jxxxxxx?

Which one did you search for?

EDIT: It won't be insured in its own right, it's been defleeted and sat in an auction pound for a week or more. So no ASKMID hit.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 00:17
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - rtj70
Until recently if I put the reg of my car into the AskMID site it said Jaguar X-Type. I've been trying to sort this for months and finally did a few months ago. It now says Passat.

So I wouldn't assume this is 100% for starters - it took a few hours of my time to get it sorted. All parties telling me to speak to the others.

Are you talking about insurance problems or DVLA problems? I think both?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 00:14
Well it's only arisen on a call the the insurers, and I'm not collecting the car till Wed next week so probably the dealer is aware and will sort it.

The receipt shows an 11 plate. I didn't realise it would have had a different plate in Jersey.

If it's all kosher then I'm happy. just didn't want to be buying an "import" which may give future problems with warranty or resale.
>> If it's all kosher then I'm happy

Sounds OK to me.

I've seen transporter-loads of ex-hire Fiestas with "J102131", "J102138" etc registrations from Jersey, headed for the car auctions here on the UK mainland where main dealers buy them up for the forecourts, for the last 15 years or more. Before that it was Rover Metros. Some kind of VAT dodge to do with the Channel Islands' special status I believe.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 00:30
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - rtj70
Fine as long as the spec is right.
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - RattleandSmoke
I recently got a quote for my dads new Hyundai, none of the insurances companies recognised the car from the plate ,yet it shows in the tax disc site and ASKMID.

I suspect there is three different databases in use.
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - Zero

>> The receipt shows an 11 plate. I didn't realise it would have had a different
>> plate in Jersey.

yeah jersey and Guernsey cars are not UK registered, so will not be on any UK database.

Strictly speaking it is an import, but as it was a UK export with UK spec, that's not a problem.

I dont think the road fund license from Jersey is valid either.
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - Iffy
Aren't Jersey plates still white on black?

Mate of a mate has a Merc which I think has a number something like J23104.

Speaking of odd plates, I saw one with a 'D' in the middle the other day 123D123.

No tax disc, presumably diplomatic.

We don't get many ambassadors in the North East, so I expect the guy was lost.

>> Aren't Jersey plates still white on black?

No. Same as ours.
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - Skip
One good thing about buying a car from Jersey is that you don't have to worry about checking for wear on 4th or 5th gears as they will hardly ever have been used !
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 10:41
The brakes are shot tho.
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - Westpig
>> Speaking of odd plates, I saw one with a 'D' in the middle the other
>> day 123D123.
>>
>> No tax disc, presumably diplomatic.
>>
Correct

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_codes_on_British_diplomatic_vehicle_registration_plates
 Car not on DVLA or MIB database - R.P.
Ireland's plates, especially Dublin ones can look a little like Diplomatic plates.
Latest Forum Posts