Motoring Discussion > Are British drivers likely to stop? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 14

Are British drivers likely to stop? - Ambo
www.wimp.com/carflips/
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - smokie
Just wasted an hour of my life watching videos on that site.

I think I'd stop...
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - ToMoCo
If first or second on scene I would stop. Fin it hard to believe that anyone would drive on past.
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - FocalPoint
I'm not so sure anyone would stop in the UK.

Here's a story from the Torygraph in which (allegedly) commuters stepped over the unconscious body of a collapsed schoolboy at a station:

tinyurl.com/77x4lg5
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Feb 12 at 10:05
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - -
>> Here's a story from the Torygraph in which (allegedly) commuters stepped over the unconscious body
>> of a collapsed schoolboy at a station:

We know what our natural reactions are but the lunatic frenzied media hyped paranoia of the last couple of decades have made it extremely dangerous for an adult to have anything to do with a child regardless of the circumstances, i'd think twice before offering assistance in those circs and i've put myself in considerable physical danger without a second thought before now to help in cases of emergency in years gone by.

I've mentioned this before but my BiL, a more stand up proper bloke you could not find, once picked up and handed back something unnoticed a child had dropped from a pushchair whilst he was shopping in tesco's...the half wit female (could hardly describe this thing as a mother) turned on him and told him he was a pervert.....my Mrs (not his sis) went bonkers when told, that idiot female was extremely fortunate she wasn't close by.

How do defend yourself as a middle aged bloke when some deranged fool accuses you like that, did we, have we almost turned the clocks back to the dark days of the witch trials.. no smoke without fire, files made DNA taken etc.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 13 Feb 12 at 12:30
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - Old Navy
>> We know what our natural reactions are but the lunatic frenzied media hyped paranoia of
>> the last couple of decades have made it extremely dangerous for an adult to have
>> anything to do with a child regardless of the circumstances, i'd think twice before offering
>> assistance in those circs and i've put myself in considerable physical danger without a second
>> thought before now to help in cases of emergency in years gone by.

Same here.

I have just heard that my grand daughter had a bump at a gymnastics class recently. The coach, who has been CRB checked said to my daughter, "Its a good job you are here, I can't give the kids an ice pack", he gave it to her to apply. Although there were several mums present, apparently he could not "treat" a child if its parent was not there.

Absolute madness.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Feb 12 at 13:21
EDIT:-

Maybe I should have said "Apply a sticky plaster or ice pack" instead of "Treat". :-)
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - Iffy
..."Treat"...

Never was a truer word said in jest.

Many child abusers see nothing wrong in what they do because they believe the child enjoys it as much as they do.

Are British drivers likely to stop? - CGNorwich
"We know what our natural reactions are but the lunatic frenzied media hyped paranoia of
>> the last couple of decades have made it extremely dangerous for an adult to have
>> anything to do with a child"

An over reaction often yes but looking at the appalling abuse that occurred to children in earlier decades and which was simply brushed under the carpet perhaps its understandable.

Surely nobody seeing a child in genuine distress would fail to go to their assistance.
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - Westpig
I found car on its side on a French autoroute a couple of years back...with a shower of stones all across the carriageways, it was obvious it had literally just happened.

I stopped....and being a good boy I actually had my full complement of reflective jackets in the car, so wore one.

I bottled out at leaving my car in the 'fend off' position though, so parked it well past the accident on the hard shoulder.

Quite a few other people stopped and within a very short space of time the m/way had slowed to a crawl. I found a Frenchman stood up in his Megane, not able to open the door because of the weight, so helped him open it and clamber out unscathed.

I impressed him with my best schoolboy French and even managed to converse with him to establish he wasn't injured and no one else was in the car. Soon as other people started talking to him in French I exited stage left (still had a long way to go) and cleared off.
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - FocalPoint
Good for you. Mind you, I would have expected no less.
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - Dutchie
On holiday in Turkey one of the boat trips.We all went for a swim I was close to the boat.

I heard a lot of commotion in the distance and a woman swimming with her daughter must have had cramp in her legs.Shouting for help people just swam by like nothing was happening.

I got to her calmed her down and helped her back to the boat.Daughter and mother thanked me.My point is why do some people ignore anybody in danger or in a accident?
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - Bagpuss
I've mentioned this before. A year or so ago I witnessed a motorbike accident where the rider went straight into the back of the car, sailed over the roof and landed headfirst on the road, before coming to rest with his head on the kerb. His helmet came off at some stage.

I rushed towards him, as did several other people. I took my mobile out of my pocket and phoned an ambulance.

There were a group of youths nearby, actually nearer to the accident than I was. I could also see them reaching for their mobiles. Why? Well to film the incident of course. I think that shocked me almost as much as the accident.
 Are British drivers likely to stop? - WillDeBeest
...apparently he could not "treat" a child if its parent was not there.

There is some variation in coaching rules between sports but I'd be surprised if that was right. I'm working for a Level 2 coaching certificate in cricket, for which two prerequisites are a first aid certificate and attendance at a Safeguarding workshop.

At the workshop our instructor (whose own sport is tennis; he thinks cricket is better organized in this respect) was keen for us to understand that not all touching is wrong, but that it must be both appropriate and consensual. Helping a child's shoulders into the right position to bowl or throw - fine; stroking his leg or patting her bottom - clearly not fine.

I have the first aid course coming up in a couple of weeks, but we've already had to answer some questions about dealing with emergencies such as bleeding. At no point have we been told not to help an injured child in the absence of a parent, and I don't expect to be.
>> At no point have we been told not to help an injured child in the absence of
>> a parent, and I don't expect to be.
>>

I would hope that common sense would prevail in the case of injury. In the circumstances I referred to I think it was comfort rather than first aid that was required and a cuddle is not an option, the male coach was being careful with a group of 7ish year old girls, and reassuring the mums that their kids were safe with him. Although I recon they would be watching him like a hawk. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Feb 12 at 17:31
Latest Forum Posts