Motoring Discussion > Company Car Company Cars
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 16

Company Car - helicopter
Well I have 25K capital expenditure approved ....and a completely open ...some might say even vacant mind.

I currently am running the Honda Accord 2.4 ex petrol which I like a lot .

I want a reasonably well specced company motor that is not going to cost me too much in tax, impresses the customers but can take a good load of rubbish to the tip ...

What do you reckon ?
Last edited by: retpocileh on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 13:30
 Company Car - NeilS
If by impress the customers you mean with your informed, thoughtful, good value choice of car that reflects your style of doing business then maybe a Skoda Octavia vRS estate. Petrol would be my choice but diesel also good. If by impress you mean look at me I'm successful and would like you to know it then a budget level 1 series or A3 with extra DRLs and max out the wheels and a small trailer ;-)
Last edited by: NeilS on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 13:46
 Company Car - Dog
An Infiniti EX would be nice but, you'd have to cough up another £10k + :(
 Company Car - Avant
I agree with Neil: the thing that impresses customers (or the ones that notice what sort of car you have anyway) is value for money, as they may reasonably suppose that VFM also applies to whatever it is you're selling them. In three years of driving Skodas (both have been vRS estates) I've had plenty of approving comments but never one who implied that I was driving a shed.

That said, the Accord is a good car too without an expensive image, but expensive it is, and if you want the Tourer to take the rubbish you'll get only a basic one under £25k.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 22:16
 Company Car - Zero
Well, given that most of your customers are Arabs, and you need to go to the tip now and again - this one.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201112382730236
 Company Car - DP
Just looking up detail on the torque figure on that 6.4 V8 Powerstroke diesel.

881 Nm / 650 lb/ft @ just 2000 RPM! Want! :-)

Last edited by: DP on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 23:01
 Company Car - Dog
How about a VW Passat 2.0 SE TDI Estate.
 Company Car - helicopter
Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep them coming.

Skoda VRS a good consideration but we have no dealer close to us. I might take a look though.

I quite like the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 but they are quite expensive from the tax point of view. I would not have a problem with another Accord.

Surprisingly Zeros suggestion I believe would be treated as a van for company tax purposes .

I know at least one colleague who has picked up on that tax loophole but his is I believe a Mitsubishi 'Traveller' ie as used by the locals who tarmac your drive .....

Any thoughts on Audis ???
Last edited by: retpocileh on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 12:54
 Company Car - WillDeBeest
Audis tend to come up short of room and jiggly of ride in my experience. I looked at the A4 Avant way back in 2002, but it felt cramped behind the wheel (not everyone has my requirements there, I admit) and, tellingly, would actually hold less luggage than the access-compromised Volvo saloon I eventually chose.

That was a long time ago, of course, but the Audi taxis in my recent travels have been significantly less comfortable than the BMW, MB and Volvo saloons.

That said, part of me wants an A5 Sportback. Actually, what that part really wants is an A7, but one step at a time. Handy for the tip either way.
 Company Car - confusedgirl
I really liked the Hyundai IX35... (it was comfy inside) whether it's decent/cool/image worthy... I have no idea ;)...I do love Audis though :)
Last edited by: confusedgirl on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 14:11
 Company Car - NeilS
>>>Any thoughts on Audis ???

Undoubtedly nice cars and very nice cars to be inside which if you do a fair bit of driving is a definite bonus. I'd be put off by the lumpy ride and price compared to their very similar VAG cousins.

If you need some space and flexibility then I guess an A4 Avant is probably the minimum size you want but £25k doesn't get you very high up the spec sheets or to the best engines. Shame its based on a capital cost because Audis hold value well and often are much more competitive on lease rates than capital cost.

It's only my worthless opinion and a gross generalisation but the Johny come lately's who used to drive BMW 3 series gravitated years ago to Audis and I found myself sort of agreeing for once with Clarkson when he called them all c**ks. If you turned up in one to sell me something I'd immediately have a slightly prejudiced view of you and would be a little bit more wary of your proposition. I know many business people with the same general view. Many buyers are professionally and independently trained to assess you from what car you turn up in, your suit, shoes, briefcase, phone, the Tag Heuer on your wrist all to give them clues as to how much you earn and then how hard to negotiate.

Company Car - retgwte
most of the very rich people i know wear cheap swatch watches anyways
 Company Car - Bagpuss
...and drive old cars. Well, need to save a bit to overhaul the private plane...
 Company Car - Jonwm
Just jumping on on this thread re "impressing customers" I work in sales and my company have always been good with comp cars, but recently when arriving to a struggling company looking to cut cost with ourselves, me rocking up in a 61 plate 3 series M Sport didn't go down to well, certainly didn't impress them.

Jon
 Company Car - Mapmaker
Are you allowed 25k cash, or is that list price?

If the former, I guess you might get a decent discount on a motor. Mike Rutherford in Saturday's Telegraph motoring ("Mr Money") certainly thinks so...
 Company Car - helicopter
£25 K is cash and I will be looking to get the best deal possible.....
 Company Car - Runfer D'Hills
3 series touring? Supposed to be the puppy's.
Latest Forum Posts