Motoring Discussion > Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 38

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - VxFan
Take your pick:-

tinyurl.com/7htjdhm - www.oxfordtimes.co.uk

tinyurl.com/82rz6gf - www.dailymail.co.uk

Community grocer Chris Waites says he was banned by managers at a Tesco store for buying vegetable oil to fuel his delivery van.

Mr Waites said he clashed with bosses at the store when he bought the bottles of oil at the store on Thursday and told them what he was using it for.

He said when he returned to the supermarket on Saturday to buy other items, he was told he was no longer welcome because using vegetable oil to run a vehicle was a criminal activity.

A Tesco spokesman said: “We are investigating the matter.”

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - IJWS14
So is using a PC(Other items will do the same) to copy music - are they going to vet PC buyers as well?

And what about the cheap beer - what do they expect people to do with it?

Obviously the store manager does not know the law and should not have got involved.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - L'escargot
It might not be illegal, but it's certainly not humanitarian. Vegetable oil is a foodstuff, and there are lots of third-world countries where millions are dying for want of such items.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - zippy
>>It might not be illegal, but it's certainly not humanitarian. Vegetable oil is a foodstuff, and there are lots of third-world countries where millions are dying for want of such items.

Yes, but it is a bigger problem then just buying a few extra litres of cooking oil.

The whole food distribution market is totally biased to the western world. There is enough food to feed the world. We just have too much of it and there seems to be a profit or benefit in having hordes starving to death in Africa otherwise it wouldn't be happening.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Shiny
Years ago, this happened to me in Morrisons, I just walked away and left it on the checkout.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - TheManWithNoName
So not only does the all pervading Tesco invade our towns and villages with its stores destroying the smaller, local shops, it is now telling us what we can and can't do regards the law.

Are we soon going to see Tesco Value Policemen on duty soon with their blue stripe uniforms enforcing said law?

Complete riss soles the lot of 'em.
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 13:10
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - L'escargot
>> So not only does the all pervading Tesco invade our towns and villages with its
>> stores .......

We should be so lucky.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - TheManWithNoName
>> >> So not only does the all pervading Tesco invade our towns and villages with
>> its
>> >> stores .......
>>
>> We should be so lucky.
>>

We have 3 of them and they've destroyed the town centre. You're welcome to ours
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Old Navy
>> We have 3 of them and they've destroyed the town centre. You're welcome to ours
>>

X2

Our third one is being built in the centre of town at the moment, goodbye high street.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 13:59
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Clk Sec
>> Our third one is being built in the centre of town at the moment, goodbye
>> high street.

I town centre in Wales that I visit occasionally looks a sorry sight. It's virtually deserted now, with a vast number of shops boarded up since the arrival of several nearby supermarkets.
>> Our third one is being built in the centre of town at the moment, goodbye
>> high street.
>>

EDIT:-

This will bring the total to seven, we already have two Tescos, two ASDAs, and two ALDIs. All these are on the periphery of a small town. The new one is right in the middle of town.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - CGNorwich
"This will bring the total to seven, we already have two Tescos, two ASDAs, and two ALDIs. All these are on the periphery of a small town. The new one is right in the middle of town."

You have a way to go as yet

Tesco alone have 18 branches in Norwich including their small stores. Three more are in the pipeline
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 14:27
>> Tesco alone have 18 branches in Norwich including their small stores.

Do they sell school ties?
>> You have a way to go as yet
>>
>> Tesco alone have 18 branches in Norwich including their small stores. Three more are in
>> the pipeline
>>

I hope not, Norwich has five times the population of our town.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - John H
It is the customers who hold the trump cards. Isn't the truth that that the large numbers of the shoppers love Tesco.

About 30% of retail market share:
www.retailgazette.co.uk/articles/02030-tescos-share-of-the-grocery-market-slips

If they don't shop at Tesco, then Tesco won't survive.

Simples.

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - henry k
I always understood that the aim of business, any business, any big business is to totally dominate their market and the aim of goverment should be to prevent this happening.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Manatee
>> It is the customers who hold the trump cards. Isn't the truth that that the
>> large numbers of the shoppers love Tesco.
>> If they don't shop at Tesco, then Tesco won't survive.
>>
>> Simples.

Well, that what they trot out. But not so simples really. Take a town with a decent high street and put down a Tescburys. If even 20% of the customers desert the butcher, baker, greengrocer etc then there's a good chance that shops will close. Plant a second there and it's game over.

The issue is planning. It's basically unfair competition. I'm sure that's what you'd think if you were the baker, especially when they were selling 19p loaves that you knew they couldn't make a profit on. They don't seem to do that now that virtually all the bread shops have gone.

The big supermarkets have been so favoured by planning, and by being permitted to use their firepower to buy up land, that they only need fear each other.

We've had this one before -

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=3052&m=61153
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Cliff Pope
>> It might not be illegal, but it's certainly not humanitarian. Vegetable oil is a foodstuff,
>> and there are lots of third-world countries where millions are dying for want of such
>> items.
>>

How does forgoing the consumption of anything in the UK actually cause it to be diverted to a third-world country? Surely if you don't buy something it doesn't get produced?

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - John H
The second link says:

"Tesco spokesman David Nieberg said: 'Our stores are there to serve customers, not prevent them from shopping.

'We’d like to stress we do not ban customers for simply buying vegetable oil – even if it is to put in a vehicle. We are speaking to Mr Waites to resolve the issue.'"

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Roger.
Really - traditional town centres are seriously past their sell-by date.

Short sited car parking policies by greedy local authorities plus the sheer convenience of not having to struggle up the street loaded down with bags have done for them.

It's called progress - things have moved on from mediaeval days!!
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Dutchie
Went shopping in Tesco the other day big store in town.Looked scruffy and short of staff.

Have a look in Morrison this week change as good as a rest.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - WillDeBeest
The missing staff are all disguised as customers to keep an eye on any short, bearded chefs in the store. Or is that just in my branch?
They certainly seem to have reduced staffing levels and are investing heavily in automatic checkouts to the confusion of the more elderly customers in our local branch.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Dulwich Estate

telegraph.newsprints.co.uk/view/7490420/tg2938676_matt%20cartoon_jpg
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Westpig
>> They certainly seem to have reduced staffing levels and are investing heavily in automatic checkouts
>> to the confusion of the more elderly customers in our local branch.

....and those customers who would áctually like to be served in a shop, not expected to do that themsleves.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Stuartli
But Morrisons and others have similar arrangements, although I personally wouldn't use them as it's a means of cutting down on staff in my view.

The comment about short sighted planning by local councils with regard to street car parking is a vital point - it's happened in my town and, apart from draconian traffic wardens and the high cost of parking combined with the serious risk of parking fines, means that any retail outlet that offers edge of town shopping and free or low cost parking is packed out.
"But Morrisons and others have similar arrangements, although I personally wouldn't use them as it's a means of cutting down on staff in my view."

If its quicker I use them. They will of course become the norm in a few years. A bit like cash machines. People used to say they wouldn't use them either but nobody get cash at the counter any more do they?

Waitrose have the best system where you get your own scanner and scan as you go. All you need to to do is swipe your payment card at the checkout point and away you go.

Post offices are going the same way with automatic machines that now weigh your letter or packet and issue the appropriate "stamp"
>> but nobody get cash at the counter any more do they?

Well, I do. And I will carry on doing so for as long as possible.
>> but nobody get cash at the counter any more do they?

You're picking up the local accent well!
"You're picking up the local accent well"

Thass a load of ole squit that is.

>> >> but nobody get cash at the counter any more do they?
>>
>> Well, I do. And I will carry on doing so for as long as possible.
>>
We were the same until , last week, they closed the small branch of our bank :-(
We used to smile at the muppets all queued across the pavement at thATM especially when the was no queue at the counter :-)
You can't stand in the way of progress. Go with the flow or get run over ;-)
>> You can't stand in the way of progress. Go with the flow or get run over ;-)
>>
Or hide in the bank in the dry and avoid mobility scooters ?
Plenty of cash machines inside banks and shops. I guess it won't be long before they charge extra for personal service.

Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Manatee
>> Really - traditional town centres are seriously past their sell-by date.

Choice would be good.

>> Short sited car parking policies by greedy local authorities ...have done for them.

Agree with that.

>> It's called progress - things have moved on from mediaeval days!!

True, we don't burn witches any more, but I don't think that makes everything modern good.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - zippy
Now in to getting their staff for free....

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102228/Tesco-row-advert-unpaid-workers-claims-expenses-plus-benefits-offer-mistake.html

>>Waitrose have the best system where you get your own scanner and scan as you go. All you need to to do is swipe your payment card at the checkout point and away you go.

There's a plenty of scanners available in my local store, but few folk using them.
but few folk using them.

We're more cutting edge early adopters up here in Norfolk. Quite popular here.
 Supermarket bans customer for buying veg oil - Dutchie
In the boardroom of Tesco phonecall to Cameron.How can we get these pheasants working for free in our store.? We think of something laughing.>;)
Latest Forum Posts