Motoring Discussion > Engine ECU wiped? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 19

Engine ECU wiped? - Old Navy
As you know I am a sensitive soul and after my car was serviced on Tuesday it felt "off". The idle was 50 rpm slower, it felt slightly rough and the performance did not feel "right". Yesterday the car had an hour at NSL speeds and other pottering around, today it is back to its normal self.

Could the checking for fault codes have reset the ECU to default settings and the ECU has now relearned the optimum settings for my engine?
 Engine ECU wiped? - rtj70
Maybe they updated the ECU at the service too.
Possible, but there are no updates mentioned for my age of car on any of the forums and the TSB's usually appear, the service report only said "No fault codes found".
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 11:55
 Engine ECU wiped? - Cliff Pope
That's what my 20-year old Volvo does. Resetting the diagnostics box puts it back to square one. It takes a few minutes to re-learn.
 Engine ECU wiped? - Zero
Modern car shouldn't loose its tuned values when you erase the diagnostic log, unless they are doing it wrongly and dumping everything.

It could be that its had a new air filter, and it had tuned itself to the more restricted airflow of the old one.
No new air filter this service. :-)
 Engine ECU wiped? - Zero
Wasnt that then, Put it down to stupid garage.
 Engine ECU wiped? - Kithmo
Battery disconnection perhaps ?
I wondered that, but can't think why. I suspect finger trouble when the fault codes were checked. They could have used my car as a training aid for a baby spanner operator. It has not happened at previous services on any of my cars.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 17:04
 Engine ECU wiped? - Runfer D'Hills
Father in law had a car started going off like that. Had to go in the end...Far Eastern thing that was too funnily enough...He's got a Ford now. Never been any bother that one....Sucks teeth...

:-)
>>He's got a Ford now. Never been
>> any bother that one....Sucks teeth...
>>
>> :-)
>>

Got the Ford T shirt, (and wallet scars). Unlikely I will do that again. :-)
 Engine ECU wiped? - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, I suppose one reaches a certain age when a Korean car becomes part of the look...

:-))
:-) At least it isn't a wardrobe with a lawnmower engine.
 Engine ECU wiped? - Kevin
>I wondered that, but can't think why.

The battery went flat because the mechanics were using your car as the workshop sound system.
Possible, It has an excellent one, ;-)
 Engine ECU wiped? - Dave_
>> He's got a Ford now. Never been any bother that one....Sucks teeth...

I had my Mondeo's ECU updated last week to cure a warm starting problem. I deliberately took it for a 10-mile A-road run straight from the garage to bed it in afterwards, I think it was a little more clattery to start with but i could be wrong. The starting problem was cured, and if anything it seems to have gained a little power low down :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 23:06
 Engine ECU wiped? - Fullchat
Change of fuel filter? Air in system which is now out or air being sucked in through badly fitted filter gasket.
Exact same thing happened on my Sorento after service but it kept cutting out completely.
The service should have included draining any water from the fuel filter, I don't think that was the problem. I have had an air leak at the fuel filter on a diesel car many years ago so I know what that feels like. The difference in my car was slight and it is now back to normal. The Ceed usually has a quiet and smooth diesel engine so any difference is quite noticeable.
>> Maybe they updated the ECU at the service too.
>>

I think you are right rtj, It has become apparent on the KIA forums that there is an ECU update being applied to the facelift diesel Ceeds.
OK curiosity got the better of me, I was passing the dealer and asked the question. They put my cars details up on the screen. No ECU update had been applied and there was no outstanding work required on my car. Their explanation was that the fuel filter had been partially drained as a check for water and a little air may have got into the fuel system.

Make specific forums are not always right. :-)
Latest Forum Posts