Motoring Discussion > OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 22

OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Armel Coussine
We are in London. Arriving on Tuesday between 6.30 and 7 in the Hammersmith area we lost an hour sitting in traffic in Castelnau and right up to Hammersmith flyover. But the delays were nothing to do with the damaged flyover which was operating. The problem was somewhere else. But we cut our losses by taking off down the M4 and turning north somewhere near Chiswick. That worked, but what a pain it all was. Well worth avoiding, London-bound anyway, at that sort of time.

Followed a large garbage truck through a tight bumpy sequence of back-doubles I often use in the Camden Town area. It was driven very well indeed, and rapidly.

Funny truck though. It had an extra set of rear wheels which seemed to be steered, and wallowy long-travel suspension.
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Roger.
I'm so pleased I don't have to visit that vile cess-pit which is our capital city.
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Dutchie
All the hustle and bustle of London can't beat it Roger.>:)
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Dog
>>I'm so pleased I don't have to visit that vile cess-pit which is our capital city<<

That's the beauty of living in Cornwall, I went for a walk by the sea today, and never met a sole ;)
Are you sure you was in the right plaice Dog.?
>>Are you sure you was in the right plaice Dog.?<<

Absolutely! - I tried to climb the cliff, but I Floundered ;)
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Pat
Now you're using a sprat to catch a mackerel Dog.

Pat
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Zero
All sounds a bit fishy to me.

Vile cess pit? What a tit you are! Just as well you miserable gits stay away.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 16:39
Dogfish seeks Catfish, gsh preferred, have own home, car, business, and rod.

:)
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - CGNorwich
Is there anything you like about the UK Roger?
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Pat
It does make you wonder why........

No Pat, be tactful for once:)

Pat
Watch the football Roger Ajax M/United.Ajax getting hammered.>:)
@Dutchie: Me no gustar el futbol!
I'm just a misanthrope!
England - best country in the world!
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Runfer D'Hills
Well funnily enough AC, I tried to drive from Olympia to Carnaby St. at about the same time as you mention on Tuesday evening. 4.7 miles. Only took 1.5 hours. Had to use the car as the stuff in it wouldn't have fitted on the tube.

:-(
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Zero
Soho and now Carnaby street?

Are you sure there is nothing you have to tell us?
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Westpig
>> Soho and now Carnaby street?
>>
>> Are you sure there is nothing you have to tell us?
>>

Does he sell those large men's stilleto shoes.... and hawks them around the
'private' shops? I've seen you lot rib him about shoes, but didn't get the joke. Have I guessed right?
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Runfer D'Hills
No, no and no !

:-)

But I do deserve a wind up from you WP....
>>Had to use the car as the stuff in it wouldn't have fitted on the tube<<

Bout time you gave it up m8, like Paul McCartney has.
We came back here to the country just now. We tried, with due caution, to take our usual route through Hammersmith thinking it might possibly be all right in the other direction.

All fine until we passed the top end of North End Road. Perhaps Humph and his colleagues are really to blame for all this, swarming around Olympia with their cargoes of tat... Then it was all just tail lights not moving much. With a few oaths we executed a swift minicab driver's Uey and took a wide sweep through Shepherd's Bush an down through the London end of Kew to the Upper Richmond Road, back a mile or so and then through another favourite back double past that place where rich people who can't take their dope spend a few grand at a time drying out for a few minutes, back up to the real route even before the famous, speed limited at Zero's request Kingston bypass, and then faster and faster all the way here despite the suspect front tyre which may be down to 27 psi by now...

Back up there on Saturday and back here on Sunday. May do some M25/M40 wide-berth carp...

As for those who hate and fear the metropolis even at the best of times, surely chaps there's no need to listen to the inarticulate grunts of straw-chewing yokels? Scared of traffic, don't know where to park, do me a favour... Just waddle about in Swanage and places where no one will trip over you, OK?
 OI! BORIS! 'AMMERSMIFF! - Harleyman
>>
>> Funny truck though. It had an extra set of rear wheels which seemed to be
>> steered, and wallowy long-travel suspension.
>>

Increasingly common on urban HGV's, and also those (like mine) which do a lot of farm/rural work; you'll see them a lot on milk tankers.

We currently have an 8-wheeler curtain-sider which carries a demountable forklift on the back; it looks absolutely huge (although the high and narrow Renault cab contributes to that) but is remarkably nimble around tight country lanes. Third axle drives, the other three steer.

Biggest problem is swinging in through gates; the forklift is invisible from the drivers cab so you have to allow for the overhang. Annoyingly, unlike my Volvo the reversing camera only works when in reverse; having one that works all the time is useful when swinging round tight bends , or to check if some numpty is tailgating.

The suspension will probably be air-bags, which will allow the rear to be lowered to facilitate easy loading. Can't have the poor dustmen lifting anything heavy can we? ;-)

Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 21:30
>> allow the rear to be lowered to facilitate easy loading. Can't have the poor dustmen lifting anything heavy can we? ;-)

Well, if I end up as a dustman I hope I won't have to hump more than about half a hundredweight at a time, and not too often. But the thing I noticed about that suspension was how absorbent and sophisticated it looked, like a desert racer. I bet they're heaven over speed bumps when they fit between the iron bollards.

The thing cornered very well. It had to take them wide because it was long, but it didn't worry about the silly Livingstonian bumps and ramps. Terrific, I thought.

The rear steering is a bit weird though. I went close past it on the left as it turned right, and its rear n/s corner did look a tiny bit threatening there for a moment. Poked out a bit as the geometry would suggest.
Latest Forum Posts