Motoring Discussion > C'mon then, what next? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 22

C'mon then, what next? - Runfer D'Hills
Ok, just been chatting to an old pal. I've mentioned him on here before. He's the guy who has always managed to get a suitable car for the last ten years without spending any appreciable money. He usually buys cheap at auction and sells privately a year or so later and has managed to recover his original investment in most cases.

He's in the same game as I was before my return to wage slavery, he's self-employed and needs a car which has tons of loadspace and which will reliably and reasonably economically cover up to 40k miles a year. A van is not appropriate as he has limited parking and a family to shift around when he's not working.

Anyway, maybe not surprisingly, he has had a succcession of Mondeo estates, Passat estates and Vectra estates. All bought with north of 100k miles on them at rock bottom prices. By and large they've all served him well. He sticks another 40k or so on them in a year and shoves them on Autotrader for what he has paid or even a bit more. So far so good.

However, he has had a reasonable year income-wise and feels like a bit of a treat in the car department. Not a silly treat but instead of paying £2-3000 as normal he's looking at around £10000 all up.

So, it needs to swallow lots of kit, it needs to be reasonably bulletproof and it will be used for three years and upwards of 100k miles in the period.

What does the panel think he should be looking at given that he fancies something a bit interesting as well as practical?

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 18:22
 C'mon then, what next? - Dave_
It depends how far along the scale from "bulletproof" to "interesting" he wants to go...

I suggest a top-spec leathery diesel estate version of any of these:

Mondeo
S-Max
Kuga
Passat
Insignia
5-series
E-class
A6
Skoda Superb
Toyota Avensis

and as a wildcard, Alfa 159.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 18:42
 C'mon then, what next? - AnotherJohnH
I think he should continue to do what he's apparently good at and enjoy the cash in other ways.
 C'mon then, what next? - ....
Agree with AJH.
Why change a winning formula? Ain't broke and all that...
Yeah, thing is, he could ( and easily ) afford to spend more. Just that he likes to keep his car costs to a minimum but fancies a wee treat.
 C'mon then, what next? - ....
Dependable, reliable workhorses tend to do dependable, reliable workhorsie things but rarely do they get interesting.
Insignia VXR might be interesting but his monthly fuel account will make him sad :-(

He probably works all the hours sent and what little time he has left over is family time so a Caterham/Westfield type thing for weekends is probably out and stick with what he knows during the week. If that is an option then maybe a bike licence and dressing up as a power ranger at the weekend could fit the bill. Just don't get caught on video like that German couple and traumatise the kids...
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 19:50
 C'mon then, what next? - -
Chrysler 300C, Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy/Outback.

Might have to push that budget up a little, exclusive load luggers with a touch of something different are a tad over the figure mentioned unless petrol which is probably not what he wants.
Like the Chrysler suggestion GB. I want to remember it's an E class in a baseball cap?
>> Like the Chrysler suggestion GB. I want to remember it's an E class in a
>> baseball cap?
>>

Yes it does have the MB E320 engine.

On Ebay classifieds there is a 300C estate with the 5.7 hemi petrol with an LPG conversion in budget...thats very tempting...;)

I can feel that exhaust rumble on full power from here.
Just seen a 2007 diesel with 24k miles on Autotrader for £9990 or something...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 19:49
>> Just seen a 2007 diesel with 24k miles on Autotrader for £9990 or something...
>>

Can't see him finding an E Class or 5 series equivalent for that price unless its on 124k miles.

They do at least look individual and not in an unpleasant way, good interiors and stacks of room.
I've forwarded the ad to him...
 C'mon then, what next? - swiss tony
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

If he is a mate do NOT recommend a 300C. (or he will become an EXmate!)

Whilst it is loosely based on a W210 E class, it is (other than the engine) nowhere near as reliable.

For one thing suspension wears out regularly, and isnt cheap to fix.
He would be a LOT better off getting a real E class, looking at auto trader he could get an 06 E320cdi easily for 10k.
Just stick with a facelift W211!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 20:48
>> For one thing suspension wears out regularly, and isnt cheap to fix.
>>

Sounds like a lot more E Class than just the engine then ST..;)

C'mon then, what next? - swiss tony
>> >> For one thing suspension wears out regularly, and isnt cheap to fix.
>> >>
>>
>> Sounds like a lot more E Class than just the engine then ST..;)
>>

LOL, Know what your trying to say GB, but NONE of the suspension is interchangeable with E class stuff, and is a lot more expensive.
If you think Merc stuff is pricey, then get some quotes on Chrysler/Jeep stuff...... some make my eyes water, and I'm selling not buying !
 C'mon then, what next? - Lygonos
Another vote for buy-a-banger.

He's currently enjoying largely depreciation free motoring - it's like having no mortgage - brings a level of calm relaxation that you often only appreciate when you get mortgaged again.

He'll lose a stack of that 10-grand when he adds 40-thou plus to the nice shiny higher spec buggy.

If he gets a leggy 10-grand luxury car he's also going to be at more risk of expensive failures.
 C'mon then, what next? - Westpig
Diesel X Type estate.

There's more room in the boot area than any of the other 'lifestyle' estates, they have 'nice' interiors, engine/gearbox Ford derived, dont handle badly, look nice.
 C'mon then, what next? - MD
As a slight aside my Son-in-Law has just bought a 53 X type saloon. 84k. Full history etc. Really smart car and ever so pleasant in the cabin. Paid 4.25k. A bit heavy some might say, but what a smart motor for the money.
Thanks for the inside gen ST !
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 18 Feb 12 at 22:47
X Type estate not a bad suggestion WP. I looked at one at one time. However, surprisingly enough they have a noticeably smaller loadspace than say a Mk3 Mondeo equivalent. I think it's to do with the rear floorpan being set higher to accomodate the running gear on the 4wd models. In the case of this chap that would compromise it's usefulness.

In days of yore, the default choice would have been Granada or Omega estates. Volvo 940 if you had airs.

Come to think, a V70 might do him if he could find one which was in budget and still screwed together.
Attn Humph.

That 24k miler 300C Diesel estate you mentioned to your mate.

Phoned up about it thismorning, it sold at the weekend, your mate didn't perchance buy it?

SWM quite fancies one, i'd sooner go for the 5.7 V8 and get it LPG'd but VED of £450 will accelerate the devaluation ever faster as the car ages, so unless i gan get one for a song and write the car off over say 5 years, just can't do it, so Diesel it will have to be against all my instincts.

Hilux to C2 to 300C estate, strange woman..;)
No he didn't GB. He's still deliberating.

Swiss Tony put the wind up me mind...
>> Swiss Tony put the wind up me mind...
>>

The only reason i'm considering one is the MB engine and the proper and reliable 5 speed MB box means my trusty MB indy will be able to service the thing and properly, the V6 Diesels do have weaknesses in MB's so a man who knows them inside out is a must, i wouldn't want the 7G box.

Must admit i'm disappointed the 24k miler has gone, nice colour combination too, battleship grey (or silver) with grey leather suits the car well, the arguably too much chrome blends in better IMO, wouldn't want such a huge car in Black, too difficult to keep clean.

211's suffered from rapid suspension wear, bottom ball joints at 20k not unheard of, i doubt Americans would put up with such poor durability from their large cars, but i bow to ST's knowledge on this.

The only thing i'm really concerned about is does the 300C have the short lived and idiotic SBC system as fitted to the W211 braking system, as its loosely W210 based (with S class double wishbone front suspension) i'm hoping not, IMO W210 was apart from its tendency to rust a very good car.

We'll keep our eyes open for another low miler, there is a 9k miler 07 plate with the 5.7 petrol lump one lady owner up for £11k at the moment, lovely car and even with a £2k LPG system would make a superb and unusual car, then when you work out 5 years of VED alone is going to be £2250 without any increases, just can't bring meself to hand dick turpin that amount of my money which he's already taxed....car would be scrap value by then too, simply can't justify it.

The only mitigating thing is that an American V8 petrol lump is extremely unlikely to go wrong, ever.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 13:04
Latest Forum Posts