Motoring Discussion > Let's see if it passes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 31

Let's see if it passes - Iffy
The Ford place has just collected the CC3 for its MoT, but will it pass?

Everything works as far as I know, and I gave it a belt down the motorway yesterday, so I'm hopeful it will.

What I'm less hopeful of is getting a small problem sorted.

The bootlid weighs a ton, and the gas struts are struggling to lift it without what I regard as too much effort from me.

I'm expecting the usual: 'they're all like that/not under warranty/fair wear and tear' responses.

Let's see if it passes - Zero

>> The bootlid weighs a ton, and the gas struts are struggling to lift it without
>> what I regard as too much effort from me.

Wimp. Anyone kicked sand in your face today?
 Let's see if it passes - Old Navy
Gas struts are temperature sensitive. They lose some of their "spring" when it is cold.
...Gas struts are temperature sensitive. They lose some of their "spring" when it is cold...

My experience confirms that.

Another excuse to add to the list.

Let's see if it passes - Clk Sec
Mine work better when sprayed occasionally with WD 40, or similar.
>> Mine work better when sprayed occasionally with WD 40, or similar.

Would have to be nearly empty, a full can might be too heavy.
 Let's see if it passes - Clk Sec
>>Would have to be nearly empty, a full can might be too heavy.

Do they still do the Junior size? That might suit.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 08:41
3in1 oil now comes in small lightweight plastic containers. He might need someone to open the boot lid for him of course.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 08:45
 Let's see if it passes - L'escargot
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 09:50
...Wimp. Anyone kicked sand in your face today?...

The heaviest thing I usually lift is a pen.

Let's see if it passes - Old Navy
You lot had better hope that iffy doesn't get his broadsword sized pen out.:-)
 Let's see if it passes - Cliff Pope

>>
>> The heaviest thing I usually lift is a pen.
>>

The changeover from quills to pens must have sorted a lot of people out of the legal profession. Fancy having to lift more than one sentence-worth of ink at a time :)
 Let's see if it passes - L'escargot
>> The heaviest thing I usually lift is a pen.

WD-40 No-Mess Pen tinyurl.com/6omrww
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 09:50
 Let's see if it passes - TeeCee
>>
>> The bootlid weighs a ton, and the gas struts are struggling to lift it without
>> what I regard as too much effort from me.
>>

On my Zafira when this happened (and the tail door hit me on the head a few times): Offical GM struts from dealer - 75EUR each. Unbranded OEM struts off eBay from Germany - 30EUR the pair.

Time to swap 'em - 5 minutes. Still working perfectly two winters later.
...Offical GM struts from dealer - 75EUR each. Unbranded OEM struts off eBay from Germany - 30EUR the pair...

Thanks TeeCee.

I shall be happy enough if I can get the job sorted for that sort of money.

I suppose a strut is a strut, but the bootlid also lifts from its leading edge as part of the roof operation, so my inclination is to stick with official Ford bits.

A strut with the wrong amount of spring might confuse the roof, and fixing a bent one of those is not something I'd be happy to pay for.

Let's see if it passes - BobbyG
I remember one of my pal's dad had a big, red Rover 800 Vitesse saloon (or was it Sterling?)

Anyway, it had one sshhuuge whaletail spoiler on the boot. The struts had no chance of holding it up, thats why he kept some lengths of 2x2 in his boot!

To be fair to him, he was a 60 year old accountant and the spoiler was on it when he bought it second hand!
 Let's see if it passes - Dave_
>> why he kept some lengths of 2x2 in his boot!

A broom handle will suffice for that job, takes up less space too :)

As far as Iffy's CC boot struts go, I agree that the colder weather will reduce the gas pressure inside them. After 3 years though, replacement with the correct Ford parts sounds like the sensible option to me. I wouldn't advocate lubricating them with ANYTHING.
 Let's see if it passes - Bromptonaut
As ON says they're very sensistive to temperature. In winter I need to firmly lift boot lid of either car. In french summer temperatures the kids, when smaller, struggled to lower the 'lingo's at all.
 Let's see if it passes - rtj70
The gas struts on my Mondeo and Mazda6 were not so good in the winter. Could be a lot stiffer.

But both cars ended up with them being replaced during the 4 years I had the cars... because they wouldn't keep the hatch open because of the weight. No idea if they were warranty repairs.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 12:00
...update...

The old bus passed its MoT.

Only problem was the number plates, which had become a bit manky.

I formed the impression they were still a pass, although I've taken up the garage's offer of replacing both for £20.

The gas struts are to be replaced under warranty.

No quibbles, so the impression I formed there was that I'm not the first Focus convertible owner to have the problem.

No sign of the bill yet, but the service was under the prepaid plan, so it shouldn't be too sore.

By the way Pat, the service manager left a shiny new Mondeo Titanium X in my back yard.

Heated - and cooled - seats.

What he didn't leave was the keys.

Let's see if it passes - Dog
Cue for another another 'what next' thread??
 Let's see if it passes - Pat
I'm glad it passed Iffy but you must be losing your touch not asking for the keys to the Titanium:)

Pat

...you must be losing your touch not asking for the keys to the Titanium:)...

It's a bit like asking for credit in a pub, Pat, a refusal often offends.

The last courtesy car they gave me was a Ford Ka, but at least I didn't have borasport's aggro with garage administration.

Fuel?

"Just bring it back with some in, sir."

...update...

Car returned, washed, hoovered, MoT'd and hopefully serviced.

The bill is a straight £65, not bad, even though the service was prepaid.

Struts are on order, should be in within a week.

So servicing costs for three years and 37,500m of motoring are the service plan - about £450 if I recall - today's bill, and four tyres.

Can't grumble about that, I expect some superminis cost more to look after.

Let's see if it passes - R.P.
Good, sounds like a bargain. Did you get the struts under warranty ?
 Let's see if it passes - Pat
>>The gas struts are to be replaced under warranty.<<

Watch Iffy's lips RP:)

Pat
 Let's see if it passes - R.P.
Oh. I missed that bit.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 18:28
 Let's see if it passes - mikeyb
Had the same problem on our old Picasso, and had the struts replaced under warranty. They only had just enough in them to keep the tailgate up, let alone lift it.

What was the £65 for then Iffy? fifty odd for the MOT and?????
£45 for the MoT and £20 for the number plates - as mentioned earlier.
 Let's see if it passes - Runfer D'Hills
One's current tailgate opens and closes automatically don't y'know..Do they still do "manual" ones? Gosh, you'll be telling me they still do cloth seats next ! Fnarr..

( I'm going to get such a kicking from you lot when I have to go back to the real world eh? )

:-))
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 21:40
 Let's see if it passes - rtj70
>> Gosh, you'll be telling me they still do cloth seats next

And normal oil filled dampers too? Surely not. I assume all headlights turn with the steering wheel too don't they Humph?
>> One's current tailgate opens and closes automatically don't y'know..Do they still do "manual" ones? Gosh,
>> you'll be telling me they still do cloth seats next ! Fnarr..
>>
>>
>> ( I'm going to get such a kicking from you lot when I have to
>> go back to the real world eh? )

Well now you are out the closet Humph, the door can never be closed dontcha know.
Latest Forum Posts