Motoring Discussion > 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - henry k
The map in the DT paper suggests she did a circuit of the M25 as part of her trip.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9095933/Pensioner-spent-19-hours-on-trip-to-wedding-after-taking-wrong-turn.html
www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4144723/Driver-aged-83-lost-19-hours-on-the-roads.html
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - colino
While I'm tempted to be sympathetic to the old dear (my elderly dad did something incredibly daft, but luckily got away with it and decided to stop driving), I bet this wasn't the first time she had become a hazard to shipping. Her choices, getting lost, grinding on, not abandoning the car or the trip or contacting someone for help all add up to a catalogue of failings in judgement that mean she and others are lucky to be alive.
I live in a semi-rural area that is full of old dears and flat caps that doddle along just creating minor angst, but this woman should have known better than embarking on such a long journey unprepared and unassisted.
God help the locals when she gets her lightening chariot.
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - spamcan61
"the pensioner got confused on the M25 and ended up heading towards Bournemouth on the south coast. "

Her driving would've fitted in nicely there :-/
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Dog
Some of the comments make I larf:

"GET OFF THE ROADS FOR GOD SAKE !!!
STICK WITH PLAYING MONOPOLY WITH YOUR GRANDSONS!!!
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Runfer D'Hills
I think I've more or less decided that if ( when ) I reach a point of economic unsustainability / inability to drive etc that I shall make one last dramatic journey in my Nissan Micra or whatever I've ended up with.

I've yet to choose the location but I rather favour an Evel Knievel inspired jump attempt, possibly over a canyon or estuary or something.

I get to go out in style and at least "she" gets some insurance and won't have the hassle of selling the car !

Got to be better than sitting in a chair watching Countdown in the cold eh?

:-)
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Armel Coussine
Nothing to do with being 83. She couldn't read the road signs, or needed new spectacles, something like that. Often happens.

We had a couple of functional illiterates in the minicab outfit I worked with in the seventies. A bit difficult to be a London minicabber if you can't read and don't know the very large place by heart. They used to get very shirty when criticised. Indeed one was fired for assaulting the controller. Silly fellow. Could have been done for assault and battery.
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - -
Poor old soul i have every sympathy...there but for the grace of God go us all, and if lucky (or not) enough to last as long as her i for one will be a sight more confused than she is without a doubt.

How sad a senior girl like her has to undertake a trip like that alone.

I look briefly at the readers comments in the sun rag, as you'd expect not worth the bother.
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Bromptonaut
>> Nothing to do with being 83. She couldn't read the road signs, or needed new
>> spectacles, something like that. Often happens.

Surprising how many people just lack a basic grasp of UK geography. Where Leeds is in relation to Manchester of Bournemouth to London, that sort of thing.

Thirty years ago we got a new recruit office assistant, an apparently bright lad of 17.

One of his jobs was to make up file covers including showing the area of England/Wales in which the case arose. After a week or two of answering the question 'What Area is Leeds/Carlisle/Exeter in'? we told him firmly to refer to the large map pinned on the wall behind him. Not a clue - he'd be looking for Bradford down near Dog's gaff or Carlisle in Kent.
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Kevin
>inability to drive etc that I shall make one last dramatic journey in my Nissan Micra or whatever I've ended up with.

Mitsubishis seem to be popular with old folks at the moment.
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Runfer D'Hills
Aye, I know, but I wanted just a wee bit of dignity you know.

:-)
Just as well 'he' is not around, but you'll suffer the morrow, just you wait and see!!
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - Kevin
>but I wanted just a wee

In that case go for the vinyl seats ;-)
 83 yr old drives for 19 hours on a 4 hour trip. - L'escargot
>> Got to be better than sitting in a chair watching Countdown in the cold eh?

Especially now that grumpy-faced bragger Nick Hewer is the host.
I've gotta what it now on me plasma, to see who this ere grumpy-faced bragger is!
Latest Forum Posts