Motoring Discussion > Frameless windows on car doors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 11

Frameless windows on car doors - movilogo
What are the pros and cons of not having frames around windows in car doors?

Usually the more expensive models seem to have this.

Frameless windows on car doors - Dog
>> pros<<

Looks nicer IMO, coupe-like in some cases.

>>cons<<

More likely to leak as they age (like a lot of men!) from my experience.
 Frameless windows on car doors - Iffy
Frameless windows on the CC3, it would look stupid with frames with the top down.

No leaks or wind noise.

The window drops half an inch when you open the door, and raises when you close it, which means the glass locates securely in a channel in the roof.

My old Herald hard top had frameless doors, the glass used to flap in the wind at speed.

Frameless windows on car doors - Bagpuss
I love frameless windows, I think they look great and both my cars have them. On the BMW they do the dropping a centimetre when opening the door trick, on the old Merc they don't. Only real problem is increased wind noise at high speed compared to a window held by a sturdy piece of metal.
 Frameless windows on car doors - -
My MB is 16 now and the only time any water gets past the seals is around the B pillar (couple of drops) if i hose too fiercely directly at the seal whan washing, otherwise no noise and no leaks.

They don't do any fancy retracting stuff like modern convertibles but then the roof is fixed in place.

What is nice is there being only a very narrow B pillar which being fixed to the rear window disappears when it goes down.

Lighter doors too.
 Frameless windows on car doors - rtj70
My car (VW CC) has frameless windows. Windows drop slightly to open doors. Wind noise not a problem at motorway speeds.

I like the look on the CC - it wouldn't look the same with framed windows.
 Frameless windows on car doors - PeterS
The A4 has frameless windows and, like the Merc mentioned above, the 'B' pillar disappears when the rear window is lowered.

Whilst leaking / wind noise has never been a problem (nor was it in the MINI, which is the only other car I've had with them) I do find in a heavy frost, or when there significant ice on the side window, it can't do it's trick of dropping a few mm when you lift the door handle. You end up forcing the door open, which is fine, but it means when you shut it the top sits outside the channel it's supposed to be in, and you get a lot of wind noise then!!

That's another reason I always de-ice the car with a kettle of warm water...

Peter
 Frameless windows on car doors - Boxsterboy
My Mum found out many years ago one of the cons of frameless windows on Dad's DS Pallas.

Coming home the worse for drink from a party she slamed the (passengers) door shut before the seat-belt had reeled itself in. The frameless glass hit the seat-belt buckle, and it was curtains for the window. Literally!
 Frameless windows on car doors - Cliff Pope
My old Triumph Roadster had windows in sturdy solid chromed brass frames, but the whole frame wound down into the door. So no flapping glass, and with the top down, no protruding frame either.
 Frameless windows on car doors - colino
My BMW coupe looks great with the doors open and it is just a nice design touch. My ancient Opel Manta though, while similarly looking great, started looking like Deputy Dog at high speeds as the door glasses got sucked out.
 Frameless windows on car doors - Bagpuss
>> My ancient Opel Manta though, while similarly looking great, started looking like Deputy
>> Dog at high speeds as the door glasses got sucked out.

Ah yes. I remember someone I knew had a Manta of late 70s vintage. The door windows used to pop out of the seals at speed, then the door seals themselves would peel off the door frames and flap about helplessly in the wind.
 Frameless windows on car doors - four wheels good...
The driver's window on my old MX-5 suffered from a wobbly window, caused I was told by door being closed over the years by pushing on the top rear corner of the glass rather than the metal door. Sounded reasonable.
Latest Forum Posts