Motoring Discussion > Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 21

Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Falkirk Bairn
Sad but true - instead of owning up to bumping a car in a car park Jonathan Lailey tried to avoid paying out a few ££s by deception.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9103445/Alfa-Romeo-driver-spun-elebaorate-web-of-deceit-to-cover-up-minor-car-park-accident.html

In the cold light of day he is paying dearly for, what was initially, a minor bump.

Mr & ex Mrs Huhne?
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Iffy
He didn't give his barrister many bullets to fire in mitigation.

Stress at work and things not going well with the wife is a bit weak.

Probably about the only honest thing he did in the whole saga.

Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Bromptonaut
What a tangled web we weave..........
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Manatee
Can't have had very good advice on his defence. His behaviour seems to have provided ample evidence of a psychological disorder which to me he clearly has. Maybe he decided he'd rather be bad than mad.

It wouldn't have sounded unreasonable to me if the judge had sent him for treatment regardless.
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Meldrew
Something similar a couple of years ago. Couple named a friend in Hungary as the driver, on a NIP for speeding. Even flew there to send themselves a postcard from their friend! Backfired on them - handwriting asnalysis I think.
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Bromptonaut
I wonder what his colleagues think.

Sympathetic and shocked by his fate or unsurprised that the psycho's morals have finally caught up.
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Meldrew
My guess would be somewhere between bemused and WTF! Once the first step has been taken the journey is almost irreversible as this man has found
...Maybe he decided he'd rather be bad than mad...

Could be, plus playing the mad card might not have worked, he would have to convince an independent trick cyclist.

A small number of defendants - when it all hits home - want to be punished and reject their defence team's efforts at minimising their offending.

Had one earlier this week, a lad whose dangerous driving left his best mate with brain damage.

The barrister told me the lad's version is worse than the one already accepted by the prosecution, but the lad is insisting the more serious version is put before the court.

Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Runfer D'Hills
Can't begin to understand why anyone would do such a stupid thing. What was he thinking of. He has turned a minor problem into a life changing one.

I've had the displeasure of having to sack a couple of quite well paid people for serially fiddling expenses. Usually fairly trivial amounts ironically but deliberately and repeatedly falsified. Why do they do it?
...for serially fiddling expenses...

Cough, splutter....

>> Cough, splutter....

I'd do it again in a heartbeat if necessary and I've made that clear to those who report to me. Strangely enough, I've not found any discrepancies of late...

Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - R.P.
There are people who work hard and do everything by the book, those that screw whatever system they work for or claim from should be dealt with firmly. I hate cheats.
A shipping correspondent I knew claimed for a new hat each time a ship was launched.

Why?

When the vessel went down the slipway, the assembled crowd would throw their hats in the air.

If you did manage to catch one on the way down, it was rarely the one you'd thrown.

...I've not found any discrepancies of late...

You wouldn't, would you?

I would eventually if someone was on the take. They always slip up in the end. Reminds me of the twonks who think it's ok to drink and drive in fact...
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Fullchat
Arrogance?
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - R.P.
My "assistant" in work had a view on that. I can hear him say it now, because they think/believe that they won't be caught. I used to underclaim in work, lulled the business manager into a false sense of security then wallop him with a biggie !
I once back in the '80s paid for a consignment of stock while in Brazil on my company American Express card. It's normal intended purpose was to cover hotel bills, petrol and food etc. Can't remember why it seemed like a good idea at the time but there must have been some reason.

Anyway, the amount was something like £250 grand. The Finance Director apparently nearly crapped himself when I told him. ( by fax )

Things were so much easier when you couldn't be contacted.

:-))
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 25 Feb 12 at 10:49
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Bagpuss
At the company I worked for a few years back - a large conglomerate - some senior managers were also caught misusing their fuel card. One of them had actually used the fuel card several times to fill up with petrol when his company car was diesel.

The amounts involved were trivial compared to their salaries as senior managers. For some people though, I guess they believe they are entitled to everything - and they probably don't expect to get caught with their hands in the till.
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - bathtub tom
There's also the attitude 'everyone else does it'.

I point out there's a 'special unit' in the local prison (so I'm told) for paedophiles. Because everyone they meet there also 'does it' they all assume it's normal.

Ergo, they're no better than paedophiles!
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Woodster
Manatee - one mans psychological disorder is another mans rank arrogance. He wasn't so disordered that he couldn't hold down a responsible job and acquire 2 homes. Maybe the judge just wasn't daft enough to buy the defence. Might as well have saved himself the cash and pleaded guilty. That would go against the grain for someone like him though. Admit one's wrongdoings? Surely not.... Shame, eh?
 Car park bumper scrape = 6 months in jail - Lygonos
A better defence would have been:

I drive an Alfa, ergo I am mad.

Also, I imagine a 10 or 20 grand fine would've been a much better use of taxpayers' money, have given just as big an incentive for the felon not to do it again, and equally discourage other 'smarter-than-the-cops' wiseguys as 6 months of pokey.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 19:38
Latest Forum Posts