Motoring Discussion > Brompton fest ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Brompton fest ? - R.P.
Did a 100 mile circuit on the bike today - stopped off for a brew in Betws y Coed and then another in Conwy (Yeah right i know) - saw no less than three Brompton folding bikes, pukka folding bikes.....one on the hills outside Betws - out of its natural environment and two in the old town.....is there some kind of festival on ? Not your usual pedal bike of choice around here....

Brompton fest ? - Bromptonaut
Nothing I'm aware of Rob. There's a monthly 'Origami Phoenix Ride' www.foldsoc.co.uk/origami/ but it's the wrong place and the wrong end of the month for that.

They're popular with motor home owners and canal boat users too.

And while I'd probably not want to ride Bwlch y Groes on one they're far more capable than they look used as touring/day ride machines. Mrs B and I occasionally stick the pair of them in the car boot on the off chance just so they're ready if we want them.

My newer six speed, on factory standard gearing and handlebar, climbs the 1:10 out of the village towards Eastcote with out undue positional discomfort or knee strain. Lowered ratios and the 'spectacle' type P handlebars are available for those who want a true touring set up.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 08:55
 Brompton fest ? - Iffy
...they're far more capable than they look used as touring/day ride machines...

I've seen a few being used around here, probably for day rides.

I'm still a bit wobbly on mine, but the gearing makes it a lot faster than a mountain bike.

Given that most of my 'mountain' biking was on tow paths and the like, I can't see me using my mountain bike very much when I'm able to do so.
 Brompton fest ? - Runfer D'Hills
I quite fancy a Brompton for my London days. Not cheap though. You need a lot of folding for one of them...
 Brompton fest ? - Iffy
...You need a lot of folding for one of them...

Very droll, although there's another make - which I can't bring to mind - which is even dearer.

Most people accept Bromptons have the best 'fold', if not the best ride, of the top quality folders.

>> Very droll, although there's another make - which I can't bring to mind - which
>> is even dearer.

The even dearer one is probably the RM Birdy. Folds nearly as well but comes with full supension and gearing options including the multi speed Rohlhoff hub. Better for touring but less user friendly on the train. Airnimal is another but strictly speaking they're demountables designed to be packed for air travel.

And while the B is expensive I'm well into credit now on bus/tube fares saved.

If Humph is serious about one he might want to explore the Cycle to Work salary sacrifice scheme. Needs a bit of thought on how to manage it, particularly the final 'market value' payment but particulalry for bikes like Bromptons that don't discount much there are worthwhile savings, more so for Higher Rate taxpayers.
 Brompton fest ? - Iffy
...RM Birdy...

Aye, that's the one.

Bumped (not literally) into a rider the other day who paid £800-odd for a secondhand Birdy.

Brompton fest ? - R.P.
Humph cycling to work across his garden into his er....shed might not have been the idea that the taxman had in mind !
 Brompton fest ? - Iffy
More on Birdys here:

www.foldingbikes.co.uk/birdy.htm

The Rohloff model mentioned by Bromp starts at £2,299.

A decent spec Brompton is around £1,000.

Just loaded the mountain bikes on top of the Qashqai as it happens. Going to go for a bit of fresh air, forest and mud therapy in a while. Colder today than I thought it was going to be though. Haven't been out on the bikes much this year yet. Hope my lungs don't turn themselves inside out !

Haven't got around to kitting the Merc up with racks. Bit low slung for the sort of places we tend to end up. Anyway, it got cleaned yesterday for the first time in ages and the Nissan is going for a service / MOT later this week and the garage do a wash /valet on it when it's in so...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 11:05
 Brompton fest ? - TeeCee
>> Just loaded the mountain bikes on top of the Qashqai as it happens. >>
>>

One of my colleagues saw someone who had done that come a right cropper while driving onto a car ferry.
Just remember they're up there......
With her 1.6 petrol you can't easily forget. Especially if there's a headwind. Worthy car but sporty it is not.

:-)
>> More on Birdys here:
>>
>> www.foldingbikes.co.uk/birdy.htm
>>
>> The Rohloff model mentioned by Bromp starts at £2,299.
>>
>> A decent spec Brompton is around £1,000.
>>

There's a guy called Steve Parry who'll put a Rohlhoff on a Brompton for you. Involves significant re-shaping of the rear triangle though. One aspect of the Origami rides is the opportunity to see ordinary bikes modified and customised.

As well as the SP versions there are a couple of serious engineers who've performed or commissioned their own mods.
 Brompton fest ? - Robin O'Reliant
Never seen the point of Rohlhoffs, fixed ratios with questionable jumps between gears and an expensive nightmare if they go wrong.

Keep it simple and fit a dewhatsit.
 Brompton fest ? - hawkeye
>> Never seen the point of Rohlhoffs, fixed ratios with questionable jumps between gears and an
>> expensive nightmare if they go wrong.
>>
>> Keep it simple and fit a dewhatsit.
>>

Can't ignore that ...

I use a Shimano Nexus 8-speed on the same commute that I rode with a Shimano 21-speed derailleur. Now I don't have to spend an hour each weekend picking oily crud out of the mechanism so it changes properly. The Nexus ratios are fine for a cyclist who uses a bike for transport rather than a hobby.

When it goes wrong I'll cross that particular bridge but it's been fabulous for the last 2 years.
 Brompton fest ? - Iffy
Hub gears are particularly good for folders.

The small wheels mean a derailleur is closer to the ground, so picks up even more crud.

My six-speed Brompton has both, but the derailleur only has to manage two cogs which makes adjustment not so critical.

Latest Forum Posts