Motoring Discussion > Radios nicked Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 11

Radios nicked - Ted

Next door neighbour and a bloke up the road had their car radios taken in the night.

Neighbour thought he'd left his car unlocked with his phone and wallet in the glove box but they didn't walk. It's a Fiat Multipla, I don't know what the other guy has. The bobby came to check us out but we were all intact, my car was down behind the gates with the alarm on and the Note was in the drive locked up.

Chatting with the constabule, we both wondered why anyone would nick radios any more. After all, just about every car in the world already has one so there can't be a market. Most cars also have a radio contoured to their specific dash with steering wheel controls so they wouldn't fit others.

Must be drug doped thickos...much better to go for the cat instead !

Ted
 Radios nicked - MD
Pussy no good when ya smashed.
 Radios nicked - henry k
I have a deterrent to all but the thickest scroat.
My Ford unit has a tape drive so a double negative :-)
 Radios nicked - -
A lot of these radios are double DIN jobbies now and only really suitable for the one particular model of car.

Are all of them coded any more though?
 Radios nicked - R.P.
Certain radios are coded to the ECU aren't they ?
 Radios nicked - carmalade
Many car radios are still code protected but the security pin is held within the electronic network of the car.So even if you have a stolen radio with its correct code,it is very complicated to make it work in another car as the electronics will not "accept" the new device.
 Radios nicked - rtj70
Probably some thick thieves who have received an email telling them there is a chip inside radios that when inserted into a Sky box gives you free TV - I am of course referring to the old myth about Ford radios containing a chip.... :-)
 Radios nicked - mikeyb
>> Probably some thick thieves who have received an email telling them there is a chip
>> inside radios that when inserted into a Sky box gives you free TV - I
>> am of course referring to the old myth about Ford radios containing a chip.... :-)
>>

Dont forget that if you pop them in the freezer they "forget" the code
 Radios nicked - Victorbox
Modern Vauxhall radios have to be "divorced" from the car by the dealer before removal otherwise they won't work, even in another Vauxhall. I wonder how many Vauxhall CD30 units on Ebay were actually disconnected correctly before sale?!
 Radios nicked - rtj70
I wonder how many radios from any car on eBay were disconnected properly, e.g. when being stolen ;-)
 Radios nicked - VxFan
>> Modern Vauxhall radios have to be "divorced" from the car by the dealer before removal
>> otherwise they won't work, even in another Vauxhall.

Unfortunately the stereo is married/paired to the display unit, not the car itself. The latter would have been a far better security measure, IMHO.
 Radios nicked - Bill Payer
I've heard of higher model VW radios being nicked as they fit straight in the lower down models. This used to be epidemic on Fords, but don't know if it's still the case.

For models that need to be coded, there's always someone dodgy who will do that.
Latest Forum Posts