Motoring Discussion > Beware new yellow lines Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 12

Beware new yellow lines - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17179757

Where can I buy shares in " yellow paint" companies ?
 Beware new yellow lines - WillDeBeest
That's absurd and - intuitively at least - just plain wrong. Lines you can drive across are white.
 Beware new yellow lines - L'escargot
One yellow line means no parking.
Two yellow lines mean no parking at all.
Three yellow lines mean no parking at all at all.

Begorrah!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 11:07
 Beware new yellow lines - Old Navy
I thought there were regulations for road markings, or is it anything that the whim of the council deems fit is OK now?

tinyurl.com/75py6z4 (The Sun)
>> I thought there were regulations for road markings, or is it anything that the whim of the council deems fit is OK now?
>>
Is there a regulation for the red and white triangles on the carriageway (they look like the centre of the HSBC banlk logo) that are breeding in my area?
 Beware new yellow lines - Meldrew
They have to make an order and consultation before new parking restrictions are enforced. It appears that the old get out of yellow lines not having a closing bar at rt angles at the end is being widely thrown out by parking adjudicators.
www.appealnow.com/parking-tickets/parking-ticket-lines-signs/
"But "concerns raised by the public" meant they would now be removed and the county council apologised for causing confusion. "

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17209729
Video is prior to the above " rub em out" action.

Beware new yellow lines - Boxsterboy
>> One yellow line means no parking.
>> Two yellow lines mean no parking at all.
>> Three yellow lines mean no parking at all at all.
>>

And single red lines mean absolutely no parking.
And double red lines mean absolutely no parking at all.
 Beware new yellow lines - Armel Coussine
Some time in the late sixties an artist, French or Dutch I think, exhibited in a West End gallery artworks that consisted of blocks of road surface complete with yellow and white lines, cigarette ends and so on. I quite liked them but you wouldn't really want one in your sitting room.

However: I long with all my heart to capture and hang on the wall, suitably rewired, one of these moronic 'Slow Down' or 'Slow Down 60 (or 30)!' illuminated signs that come on even when you are doing less than the limit. They constitute visual pollution, local authority waste, probable corruption and faffing vainglory, and are a gratuitous insult to every driver who passes. So to steal one with an angle grinder, an anonymous Transit and a couple of like-minded confederates would perhaps be an offence or even a crime, but would certainly be a virtuous act, very virtuous, and would supply one with a charming piece of modern semi-kinetic art for the sitting room wall.

Fancy meeting up and doing it Westpig, now you've retired? I'm too old and dumb to manage it alone. I feel your special skills would come in useful.
 Beware new yellow lines - Pat
Can I come too?

I hate them since one early morning, mid winter I was groping my way across the Fen in thick fog. I approached the sign at all of 10 miles an hour and found it lit up to tell me I was exceeding 30MPH.

Forever after that I make it my mission to pass them as fast as I possibly can.

Pat
 Beware new yellow lines - Dave_
>> Forever after that I make it my mission to pass them as fast as I possibly can

Many years ago an A-road near where I used to live had a straight 2-mile NSL run-up to a 40mph limit. Before the road got bypassed, a digital speed readout sign was erected in the hope of shaming motorists into slowing down by showing their speed when higher than 40mph.

Some of my friends found that all three of its digits could be made to light up.
The digital readouts don't offend me - they seem generally appropriate (typically on straight suburban roads where excessive speed is a hazard) and tolerably accurate. AC's light-up circles are neither, hence the angle grinders.
I'll come with you, AC, provided we can steal two. I'll put mine in the hall, wired to come on when I open the front door. It'll be about as meaningful there as it is now in the wild.
Latest Forum Posts