Motoring Discussion > First Bike for Learner Buying / Selling
Thread Author: LEDFoot Replies: 7

First Bike for Learner - LEDFoot
Greetings o wise motoring ones.

I come seeking advice:

Having recently redone my CBT, I am keen to actually do my full Bike test this year (probably mid/end Spring time) but am looking to get a runaround for a few months to get my technique up to scratch before taking the test.

I have been looking at 125's (I'm limited to that) on ebay/ Friday Ads etc.

As I'm not looking to blow a huge amount of money - I have been focussing on bikes that are roughly between 2 -4 years old with lowish mileage - the idea being that I could fairly easily trade-up for a bigger bike after the test as this seemed to me to be a good approach.

I quite like the look of Yamaha's YBR.

But wondered whether the panel think this is a good choice for a first bike and also if you think ebay etc. is a good/bad route to take.

First Bike for Learner - ....
I wouldn't bother with a 125 if you are already considering trading-up after the test.

You don't say how old you are but if 21 (or will turn 21 in the next two years before the restriction ends) I would go direct access on a 500. then buy the bike you want and can afford to insure.

Difficult to recommend where to buy. You need to pick your instructors brains about what to look out for, do some internet searching of the specific model you are looking for to see if there are any recurring problems or, have a mate who knows what they are doing.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes I'm 35 and am thinking of doing the direct access - exactly as you say.

My thoughts were to do it in a couple of months (April/May) mainly due to using up all my holiday allowance (which resets in April) - otherwise I most probably would have done exactly as you said.

But rather than wait idle, I thought i'd ride a 125 in the meantime and at least get some road experience. Although the negative trade off I realise is that I will probably lose a little on the transaction.
 First Bike for Learner - TeeCee
Conventional wisdom was always that if you were planning to move up as soon as, or shortly after, you passed the test then the best approach is to go for a 100cc machine.

The reason being that the 125s tend to command a premium price as they're the biggest thing the young lads are allowed to have.
 First Bike for Learner - Harleyman
First thing; whatever you buy must be made by Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha.

Chinese carp will not outlive its own warranty.There are no exceptions to this rule.

If you just want a runaround, then Honda CG125 is ideal. Old-fashioned, bit ugly, but absolutely indestructible provided it's been serviced regularly. Yamaha YBR is a nice little bike, as is the Suzuki Marauder if you want a custom-style look. Don't be tempted by the racy two-strokes as they tend to have been thrashed and are unpleasant to ride sensibly.

Second thing; if you're intending to pass your test on that bike, then it needs to be over 75cc capacity. Do NOT buy one of those BMW C1 enclosed things as you can't take your test on it, and they're horrible to ride anyway.

TeeCee is right about 125's commanding a premium but the Honda CG is considered naff by the young bloods so doesn't get affected so much by this. 100cc machines are relatively rare though.

And I agree with gmac about Direct Access if you qualify and can afford it. Saves you having to buy an intermediate bike too.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 14:35
I hadn't considered that. I will have a look tonight. Presumably these will be cheaper too.
 First Bike for Learner - DP
I found moving from the SR125 I did my CBT on to the CB500 I did my DA training and test on to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I had ever had.
The "big" bike is so much easier to ride. There's power when and where you need it, it feels more stable and substantial underneath you, and the first time you experience the acceleration, even of a 50 odd horsepower 500 twin, you will grin like an idiot for days.
I held off buying until I got my license in 2002, then went out and bought an 8 yr old ZZR600 for £1900. It did absolutely anything asked of it, never once let me down, and I only finally parted with it last year. Apart from it rolling off the sidestand and falling over once, I never put so much as a scratch on it either.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 17:10
 First Bike for Learner - R.P.
They're all much of a muchness in that field. Stick to Japanese brands (Although they tend to built elsewhere these days) We ran a YBR in the household for twelve months, and a faultless little soul it was. I rode it for fun occasionally, the wife rode it during her Direct Access phase. It was OK. There is a tale on here of a trip to the Lakes on ours, I rode it and a friend rode his little 125 Chinese replicate. It was done for a bet (I ride a 1200GS he had a Suzuki Bandit) - it worked well. Can't go wrong with a YBR. The finish isn't top notch (Pimply exhaust and corroded fastenings) but it was a reliable little soul.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 18:17
Latest Forum Posts