Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 18

Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - borasport
I'm still driving round in a new Passat (hit its 1000'th mile on the way to work this morning) and have worked out how to use the bluetooth, but it will not upload the pohonebook from my Samsung Galaxy Y - any ideas ?

does it make any difference if the phonebook is on the phone or on the SIM ?
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - smokie
Dunno about VW but you didn't do anything in the Ford I had - you pressed for phone book and it loaded it. Pretty sure it read it each time you pressed it rather than stored it in the car.
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - swiss tony
>> does it make any difference if the phonebook is on the phone or on the
>> SIM ?
>>
Im guessing your contacts are saved on the SIM.

In my understanding of car based Bluetooth, there are 2 types, HFP and SAP.

HFP = Hands Free Profile, where the car talks to the phone, and does not access the SIM, and
SAP = Sim Access Profile, the the car accesses the SIM directly.

If your car has HFP, I think the contacts will have to be saved on the phone itself.
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - Fursty Ferret
If it's Android, you'll have to keep an eye on the screen immediately after the first pairing and make sure you tick "Yes" to the question "Do you want to allow access to your phonebook?"

If you don't, it never asks again, and you wonder why the phone can't access your contacts - from personal experience!
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - rtj70
It might depend on which of two Bluetooth phone modules is in the Passat.

Mine just downloaded the phonebook without having to do anything other than pair the phone and Bluetooth unit. It resync's periodically. The car uses the phone using (probably) handsfree profile - it does not access the SIM. But it has a copy of the phonebook.

And my phone is an Android phone too. I also pair it with a Nokia e51. It will sync to both phonebooks so the car has contacts from both.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 29 Feb 12 at 11:54
aah - I wonder if FF has it...
in which case, too late now
Mind doesn't work like that. You pair it with a phone and that's it. It then downloads the phonebook. Resyncs periodically too.
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - BobbyG
Surely if you delete the pairing you can then re-pair and tick the right boxes this time??
But there's no need to delete the pairing. It sync's periodically. Well it does with my two phones.
There are no boxes to tick on the phone or on the stereo for mine.

Although I should add mine has the RNS315 satnav with Bluetooth. And maybe Borasport's is a different head unit and that might also have a different BT module - VW used to use two different ones.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 29 Feb 12 at 23:47
>> does it make any difference if the phonebook is on the phone or on the SIM ?

Where is Borasports contacts? Mine are all on the phone (and obviously sync'd via the 'ether' to a computer)
99% of the contacts are on ther phone (I think) with one or two on the SIM.

Hopefully the Passat is going back today, anyway
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - Zero
Transfer your contacts to your sim! if your phone locks up and needs a factory reset they could be solid gone man!
All my contacts are transferred from and maintained on my laptop :-)

When the phone connects in the car, a message along the lines of 'phone book access request' appears on the phone, btu the car keeps saying '0 entries on phone book'
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - TeeCee
It's not quite that simple.

There's a third factor here, PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile).
Those BT setups that behave purely as a handsfree setup will download the phonebook on pairing time. The type of eejit[1] who absolutely must have the ability to dial as soon as the ignition's on doesn't like this, as it takes a few seconds.
The alternative is PBAP, where the phone can push the contents of its phone book to the kit on demand (i.e. you stick the thing in upload mode and then initiate the send of the contents from your phone).
The advatage here is that the data is stored on the BT unit and is always instantly available.

Now for the disadvantages:
1) There's only one of it, so if you have two or more users with their phones paired to the thing it's useless.
2) Many (even most) BT capable handsets don't support it(!)

So Black Mark to Toyota, BMW, FIAT (etc ad nauseum) for taking that route, Gold Star to Parott, GM, Mitsu (etc etc) for doing it the right way.
Edit: and VW by the sound of it. Never tried one of theirs myself.
Edit2: in this case it sounds like the device supports PBAP transfers and even supports it being initiated by the vehicle, but the current security settings on the device require authorisation for PB download. This is probably configurable, or merely acknowledging the mesage may work.

Special award to Parott for also supporting voice dialling and direct PB access on the phone, effectively turning the kit into a glorified headset.

[1] Same ones who have their phones on and dialling on aircraft as soon as the main gear hits the deck and before the nose gear has time to follow it.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 11:17
Apart from pairing the phone and the phone in the head unit, I don't think I had to acknowledge anything on the phone. What stereo is in the Passat?
 Volkswagen Passat - Bluetooth & Phonebook - IJWS14
The 510s have more facilites on bluetooth than the 310/315s.

Son has had both and views the 310/315 as carp and the 510 as the dogs whatsits

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Mar 12 at 19:47
The Bluetooth is actually provided by a separate module. There's at least two different ones that VW use. You interact with the Bluetooth phone kit either through the stereo or the MFD/steering wheel controls. The same unit is used with head units other than the RNS-315.

I know the Skoda version of the RNS-510 does texts as well. What else does it do that the module in the RNS-315 doesn't? Just curious. I didn't go for the RNS-510 as it was about £900 a an upgrade.
. What stereo is in the Passat?
>>

dunno what its called (no manuals, remember) but it is probably the bottom of the range one - no big screen or sd card or anything
It sounds like it's got the standard one for low end Passats it will be an RCD 310.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/entertainment-systems/rcd-310

On my RNS 315 to force it to reload the phone book you select phone and then press the settings button. It then has an option to load phone book. No idea how Bluetooth works on the RCD-310.
Latest Forum Posts