Motoring Discussion > Parking Across Driveways Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Parking Across Driveways - Ambo
There was inconclusive discussion on this site some time back as to whether parking on unmarked sections across driveways was legal, where there were otherwise restrictions such as lines or marked bays. For what it is worth, Poole Borough Council says that it is.
 Parking Across Driveways - Lygonos
I was under the impression that it was if there was a car in the driveway, and wasn't if the driveway was empty for unlined entrances.

May be urban mythology of course.
 Parking Across Driveways - Meldrew
I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly that, even in the absence on any signage or lines on the road, it is illegal to block a "Dropped Kerb"
 Parking Across Driveways - R.P.
Not illegal per-se - but could be defined as "Causing an unnecessary obstruction" stupif selfish drivers deserve a ticket for it.
 Parking Across Driveways - Lygonos
That was my understanding - blocking a car in drive = obstruction.

Preventing a car getting into driveway = not obstruction.
 Parking Across Driveways - Old Navy
Easily fixed with a trolley jack. ;-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 29 Feb 12 at 18:51
 Parking Across Driveways - Westpig
>> >> Preventing a car getting into driveway = not obstruction.
>>
Urban myth.
 Parking Across Driveways - Meldrew
Driving over a pavement to get out of your blocked drive, forced to as dropped bit is blocked - also an offence in itself?
 Parking Across Driveways - Diamond
According to our council, parking across a driveway is OK as long as no-one complains. This overcomes the problem of parking across your own driveway.

But of course if someone else parks across it then you contact the council who send someone out to book the car.

Parking Across Driveways - Ted

Any vehicle parked on the highway constitutes an obstruction. It's at the discretion of the police attending a complaint as to how serious that obstruction is.

I had to go into the city a couple of weeks ago to move two of our hire cars out of their on-street bay. The city council wanted to paint the adjacent lamp-post ! I suppose if we had refused, they could have had them removed. It only took 10 minutes once the hydraulic lift was in place and then I put them back !

We took MiL out for a treat and I parked on double yellows with my blue badge on next to a cafe. The road was empty. Half an hour later, the police arrived and I went out to see traffic backed up in both directions. The bobby was annoyed and I narrowly missed an ' obstruction ' booking.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts