Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 33

Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - borasport
anybody know the likely fallout from filling a 1.2 Corsa with Sainsbury's unleaded and driving about 400 yards ?

SWMBO is currently parked at a bus stop waiting to be towed away and drained !
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - DP
You could get away with it completely, it could have done megabucks worth of damage. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell.

One of the engineers at my last company misfuelled his 407 HDi two weeks after it was delivered, and drove it until it conked. The tank was drained, the system flushed and primed with fresh diesel, and it fired first turn. Went back to the lease company at 130,000 miles still running fine. A friend is running a 140,000 mile Fabia vRS which the same thing happened to at 30,000 miles. Again, no apparent issues.

SWMBO did this to our Scenic 1.9dCi, but luckily realised her mistake before she started the engine. It's easily done.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Skip
A 1.2 Corsa is a petrol engine- isn't it ?
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - WillDeBeest
I think the fallout will depend entirely on what you say when she gets home. Do you have a spare room? Or a kennel?
};---)
We've already had 'facetime' :-)
>> A 1.2 Corsa is a petrol engine- isn't it ?
>>
No, funnily enough the 1.2 CDTi has a diesel engine in it
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - paulb
>> >> A 1.2 Corsa is a petrol engine- isn't it ?
>> >>
>> No, funnily enough the 1.2 CDTi has a diesel engine in it
>>

In fairness, you didn't specify CDTI in your OP. Also, for some reason everything with that engine (Vaux or FIAT) generally gets referred to as 1.3, even though it's 1248cc.

In answer to your question, that engine seems to be tough as old boots, so with suitable TLC from the recovery people, you should be fine
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Meldrew
I managed to only put in about 15 litres of petrol and then stopped, added 30 litres of diesel, a quadruple dose of Millers Diesel plus and the car is still running 50K miles later. If your tank was brimmed with petrol I think full drainage is the only way to go
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Dave_
The prospect of misfuelling the Mondeo haunts me every time I open the fuel flap, mostly because of all the horror stories I read online and the alarming cost of putting it right (not to mention buying 2 lots of fuel!). Many otherwise perfectly sensible, capable people have done it but my turn has yet to come.

I (quietly) read out loud to myself the type of fuel printed inside the flap, and the type marked on the filler nozzle, before I squeeze the trigger. I don't care if anyone watching me thinks I've got a screw loose, at least I know it's diesel fuel I'm putting in a diesel car.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 20:41
Current Bill -
£45 of unleaded
£150 to Egertons Recovery for the pump out and flushing
£50 of diesel

Somebody from the recovery has assured her there are unlikely to be any consequences, but they would say that, wouldn't they ?

Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Victorbox
>> Somebody from the recovery has assured her there are unlikely to be any consequences, but
>> they would say that, wouldn't they ?
>>

Is it new enough to have Vauxhall's 100,000 mile warranty?
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - VxFan
>> Is it new enough to have Vauxhall's 100,000 mile warranty?

I imagine something like misfuelling would be exempt from a warranty claim, along with any component damage.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - ....
>> The prospect of misfuelling the Mondeo haunts me every time I open the fuel flap,
>> mostly because of all the horror stories I read online and the alarming cost of
>> putting it right (not to mention buying 2 lots of fuel!).
>>
Woah ! I filled the Volvo up in Nottingham last Friday, just under 100 notes for one tank. Two tanks would be too much to stomach as a mistake.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Tigger
I've never misfueled, but now that I'm driving a petrol and a diesel, I've fitted the diesel with a 'dieselhead' - really clever design.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Old Navy
I have used one of these on my last two cars.

www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - R.P.
There is a built in anti-misfuel thing in the X1. Works as well ;-)
I am sure that says something about BMW drivers, my Son in Law has it built in to his 3 series car and he really needs it! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 09:42
I'm a mumbling lip-mover like Dave. I'm happiest when the pistolet has the word DIESEL marked on it, and I move my head so it lines up next to the label inside the fuel flap. Then I check the price display on the pump and check it tallies with the number on the sign at the gate. Then I trace the hose from the empty diesel bracket back to the nozzle in my hand, and then, finally, I squeeze the trigger.

Nerdy? Certainly. Obsessive? Arguably. Effective? Nine years, 250 fills and no mistakes yet, so no regrets either.
}:---)
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - bathtub tom
Don't you sniff the end of the nozzle too?

;>)
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 10:43
Oi! I don't mind admitting to nerdy; not ready for neurotic just yet.
}:---)
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Runfer D'Hills
No doubt I shall be ridiculed for suggesting this again but....How in the name of hell is anyone stupid enough to put the wrong fuel in their car? It's clearly written on the pump. We have both diesel and petrol cars and neither of us has any problem remembering which one takes which kind of fuel. It's not difficult. What exactly is the problem?
>> No doubt I shall be ridiculed for suggesting this again but....How in the name of
>> hell is anyone stupid enough to put the wrong fuel in their car? It's clearly
>> written on the pump. We have both diesel and petrol cars and neither of us
>> has any problem remembering which one takes which kind of fuel. It's not difficult. What
>> exactly is the problem?
>>

You may find out one day. :-)
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Runfer D'Hills
No, I very much doubt that. The sheer price of the stuff concentrates my mind !
One day you will be tired, stressed, distracted, annoyed, busy, thinking of problems, being harassed or pestered by a loved one you can't tell to pfd off..................

I am just old, even a stress free retirement doesn't compensate for that.

The human hasn't been made that doesn't make a mistake.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Mar 12 at 00:06
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Zero
>> One day you will be tired, stressed, distracted, annoyed, busy, thinking of problems, being harassed
>> or pestered by a loved one you can't tell to pfd off..................
>>
>> I am just old, even a stress free retirement doesn't compensate for that.
>>
>> The human hasn't been made that doesn't make a mistake.

I have done it once. I was rushed, late for a wedding, the station was full, two of the pumps broken, - Bingo.

Honest Humph, it can happen to anyone.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Mar 12 at 00:06
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Fullchat
Few weeks ago standing there with the petrol nozzle in the diesel. Close call!!
My fuel angel cost a fraction of a fill up, let alone a missfuel. It has been on my last two cars, (it fitted both), its a no brainer for me. We have had three missfuels in the family that I know of, (stupid kids). I think it is more common than many realise.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Dave_
I'd like to think I'm with Humph:
>> How in the name of hell is anyone stupid enough to put the wrong fuel in their car?

But everything I read on here tells me to stick with ON:
>> I think it is more common than many realise.

I always take a minute to fish out a pair of rigger gloves and a bottle of Millers from under the boot carpet anyway, so my mind's always on the task in hand when filling up.
>> My fuel angel cost a fraction of a fill up, let alone a missfuel. It
>> has been on my last two cars, (it fitted both), its a no brainer for
>> me. We have had three missfuels in the family that I know of, (stupid kids).
>> I think it is more common than many realise.
>>

EDIT:- Or are prepared to admit. :-)
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - Bromptonaut
>> Few weeks ago standing there with the petrol nozzle in the diesel. Close call!!

Same position four or five years ago. Mrs B was driving and I'd been sitting in pax seat fretting about following week's challenge at work.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - DP
In the same way you can drive perfectly safely with a clean record for 20 yrs and then make a stupid mistake and prang it, you can put the correct fuel in the car for 20 yrs and one day get it wrong.
It's human error. Nothing more, nothing less. All it takes is for the mind to wander, having a lot going on, being in a bad mood, or something else to distract you.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - -
I'm paranoid about it, and with just reason, opened the petrol filler cap when i went to get some LPG a few weeks ago, all downhill from here, gaga here i come.
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - legacylad
I drive a petrol. SWMBO a company diesel.
Being an aspiring gentleman I fill the company car whenever we are both in it. She pays whilst I fill. Lord help me if I ever misfuelled.
Just back from the US where my friends kindly lent me their V8 pick up for the duration. Diesel has a green hose, petrol a black hose, so even more concentration needed, but so far so good.And at 16mpg I was filling up regularly!
 Vauxhall Corsa D - Misfuelling - slowdown avenue
it will be fine. i know a corsa 1.3 that got wrong fuel twice and was still ok 40.000 miles later
Latest Forum Posts