Motoring Discussion > Black box for young drivers Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Videodoctor Replies: 15

Black box for young drivers - Videodoctor
After trawling the internet for my son's first car insurance i tried one of these companies that fit a black box to monitor your driving.They also come with a tracker so if its stolen then it can be recovered.

The premium was almost double what i could get without a tracker fitted.

This begs the question,if the young person is being constantly monitored then the insurance should be much cheaper as it forces the youngster to drive more carefully or pay the consequences with his wallet?

I personally think the government are missing an ideal opportunity to increase road safety.My idea is that all 17-21 year olds would have to have a box fitted by law that monitors their driving.The insurance premium would be set to a more affordable level and would increase if the youngster drove like an idiot.
This would make young people drive much more sensibly knowing that someone was watching their driving all the time.The added bonus is that with a tracker fitted the insurance company would almost be guaranteed to recover the stolen vehicle.
All of the above would help with road safety and reduce costs for all parties involved.

Any thoughts on this matter?
 Black box for young drivers - Robin O'Reliant
It would start with young drivers..........................then it would be all of us.

No ta.
 Black box for young drivers - Dave_
>> This would make young people drive much more sensibly

No it wouldn't.

Young drivers will drive up to the limit of their skills until they scare themselves one day and realise they're not immortal. If they're lucky it will result in them calming down a bit next time - if they're unlucky it will result in a large insurance claim and possibly some bodies.

Twas ever thus.
 Black box for young drivers - Bromptonaut
My daughter (19) drives my car or her Mums. Does that mean we need to be tracked too?
 Black box for young drivers - Zero

>> Twas ever thus.

Yup. And always will be till they ban testosterone
My experience is that when an experienced person(ie parents) sits in the passenger seat with a youngster then the teenager doesn't drive like an idiot due to being told off that their going too fast or cornering hard etc.

The black box would take the place of the parent and the youngster would drive more sensibly knowing that he is being watched.Obviously there would still be some teenage lads that wouldn't slow down but they would be penalised with higher premiums.

To lump all teenage drivers into the same mould is ridiculous .They need to prove is they can be sensible and to me the black box is the way to do it.
How many teenage boy drivers do you know? Not many I would warrant.
'How many teenage boy drivers do you know? Not many I would warrant.'

What's that got to do with anything?

I know teenagers drive like idiots.My proposal would help curb that.

Drive sensible=cheap insurance.Drive like an idiot=Extortionate insurance. Simples.

At the moment its extortionate premiums for all youngsters regardless of attitude.
Give them a chance to prove themselves and reward them if they succeed.
Its actually got lots to do with it. Sorry but your proposal would have limited affect, you really dont know your target customer.
 Black box for young drivers - Cliff Pope
What it needs is a real-time insurance cost display, like a taximeter.

So the trip meter resets when the driver gets in, and then the numbers start clocking up.
Take a corner a bit fast and the bill jumps £5. Slow in good time for a 30 sign and the total decreases again.

With careful driving it would be possible to get the insurance bill for the trip down to a few pounds. Drive like a normal 18 year old male and it would be £50. You would have to put a debit card (credit cards not accepted) in the slot and pay the bill before it would let the car start again.
 Black box for young drivers - Dutchie
They have put a system similair to a black box in Dutch postal vans.Speed acceleration braking etc is recorded.Changed all drivers bad habits according to a report.There was a clip on you tube.
 Black box for young drivers - Badwolf
We have a system fitted to all the buses at work that monitors acceleration, braking, lane changing and cornering. It is a huge pile of poo and makes not one jot of difference to the way I drive.
 Black box for young drivers - Robin O'Reliant
>> We have a system fitted to all the buses at work that monitors acceleration, braking,
>> lane changing and cornering.
>>
I have one of those, it's called a wife.
 Black box for young drivers - Dutchie
Listening to the drivers it does make a difference.Saving on fuel etc less accidents.

Plus if somebody drives regulary in a inconsiderate manner they problaby have a quet word!
 Black box for young drivers - Dave_
>> Give them a chance to prove themselves and reward them if they succeed

Sorry, but teenagers just aren't capable of showing restraint.

Give a teenager a contract mobile phone and sooner or later you'll get a £200 bill for a month. Give them a car and sooner or later they'll go and see how fast it goes with all their mates in it..

The black box schemes only vary the premium by 10% or 20% up or down anyway, it's not enough of an disincentive especially given many teens' poor grasp of mathematics.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 3 Mar 12 at 13:27
 Black box for young drivers - Cliff Pope
That's my point. It needs to make a massive difference, and be instant.
Latest Forum Posts