Motoring Discussion > Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 48

Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Zero
Went to Hi Why-Combi today ont he M25/M40.

The weather was really bad on the way there, heavy heavy rain, lots and lots of surface water, terrible visibility, risk of aquaplaning significant.

Driving - on the whole - pretty good, nice gaps - 60mph max

While in High Wycombe the weather worsened significantly, temperatures plummeted and heavy rain turned to heavy thick wet snow. The driving turned really ugly too on the way back, High speeds, no gaps, so what do we have

We have man in car decides to drive right of motorway and up bank, some 400 yards behind man in Frontera decides to play tag with both the barriers (4 lanes apart at that point) knocking each corner off the car but thankfully missing anyone else, and then on the M25 a boy in a jag XF manages to get the thing pointing the wrong way in the middle lane - seemingly without hitting anyone or anything. He was not coming out of there in tact till the motorway is temporarily closed.

At lunch brains seem to have been left behind.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Runfer D'Hills
Southerners y'see.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - swiss tony
Didn't see you Zero...

I was the one on the motorcycle, out in the snow getting some shopping....
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - -
Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon syndrome, Darwin hours.

I detest being on major routes at those times if heading the same way as the lemmings.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 15:21
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Old Navy
A warm pleasant sunny day here. Try getting north of Watford occasionally :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 15:25
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Dutchie
Not here Dog cold and raining.We did our shopping had a Starbucks coffee and home.

Watching the Rugby Ireland France.>;)
So very very true GB.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - R.P.
Sunny, windy, here - line full of washing dried in a few hours. Winter tyres paying dividends - not a flake, these villagers owe me.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Fursty Ferret
Should've had winter tyres on.

* I'll get me coat.
Do you have winter tyres on your aeroplane FF? I mean you must land it in some cold places sometimes? Can't be easy in a 3 wheeler...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 16:30
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - bathtub tom
Couldn't agree more.

I spent a large part of today marshalling a classic trial around Luton airport area. I got thoroughly cold, wet, muddy and splashed with other stuff that cattle leave around.

Other motorists seemed to think it's their god given right to swerve across the other side of the road to avoid large puddles, regardless of what's coming the other way.

I was passed as I was braking for a roundabout at the end of a length of dual carriageway by one of these twerps with a small toy dangling from their tailpipe, who promptly mimsed along the single carriageway at 40-45. They moved to the RH lane at the next dual carriageway, but then moved left at the sight of a cop car ahead. They didn't follow me in passing the BIBs who were trundling along at around 50.
Nope, just ordinary rubber.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - legacylad
Would that be Michelin Alpin rubber? Excellent cold weather characteristics.

I digress...speaking of aircraft I flew out of Sacramento to Seattle on board a newish 737-800 a few days ago. Whilst climbing through a major snowstorm over the Sierras we were tossed around like a pea in a drum. I admit to having very sweaty palms for 10 minutes.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - swiss tony
>> ..speaking of aircraft I flew out of Sacramento to Seattle on board a newish
737-800 a few days ago. Whilst climbing through a major snowstorm over the Sierras we were tossed around like a pea in a drum. I admit to having very sweaty palms for 10 minutes.

No need to panic on a plane, unlike cars each one normally only has one crash, at most, in its life.....
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Kevin
A BA pilot who was a regular in our local told me that most tyres on commercial aircraft were retreads and remoulds.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - henry k
>> A BA pilot who was a regular in our local told me that most tyres on commercial aircraft were retreads and remoulds.
>>
I have always understood that is the "case"
It would be really pricy to fit new tyres when they get thin.
Anyone know what the minimum tread depth is before a retread?
Some info here:-

www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/
www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tech_support/aircraft-tyre-wear-images.aspx?photoid=1
seems to answer my question
Thanks ONl
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Bromptonaut
Not read the link but suspect aircraft tyres are retreaded after x landings and scrapped after y retreads. And either FF or his P1 will check the tyres as part of a pre-flight before each sector.

Way back in the seventies the runway at Leeds airport was even shorter then it is now and had the main Bradford/Harrogate road cross the airfield boundary just short of the r/w 15 threshold.

BA Viscount inbound from Belfast 'mushed' slightly on approach and clipped the streetlights. Nobody noticed until the pre-flight for next sector to LHR when co-pilot picked chips of glass out of the tyre.

Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Dave_
>> Do you have winter tyres on your aeroplane FF? I mean you must land it in some cold places sometimes?

I reckon it's below 7°C most of the time at 30,000ft. ;)

EDIT: And I don't suppose he does much high-speed cornering on the ground either.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 21:14
>> I reckon it's below 7°C most of the time at 30,000ft. ;)
>>

I am not a pilot but I don't think you can land on clouds. :-)
>> I am not a pilot but I don't think you can land on clouds. :-)

I didn't word it very well, did I? :) I meant to say that the tyres will be cold in flight, and unlikely to warm up very much during final descent and landing...
I think they tuck their wheels inside to keep them warm when they climb
>> I think they tuck their wheels inside to keep them warm when they climb

I'm no expert, but aren't the wheel wells unheated? I'm sure there was a story of a stowaway found clinging to a plane's undercarriage, frozen solid.
Only joking, I'm sure you're right though. Mind you they're out of the wind-chill (ducks for cover)
Wheel wells are unheated but the tyres / wheels are toasty before take-off due to brake temperature and the sheer weight of the aircraft squishing the rubber on the taxi out. Brakes only have to be below 250C for take-off, so once they're tucked up inside the wheel wells they stay warm for a long time.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 08:56
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - MD
>> I think they tuck their wheels inside to keep them warm when they climb
>>
HA HA.
>>I don't suppose he does much high-speed cornering on the ground either.
Cross wind landing is rather more brutal than cornering ?

www.dunlopaircrafttyres.com/tech_support/aircraft-tyre-wear.aspx
Have a look at some of the individual images and enjoy your next flight :-)
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Dog
Thunderbirds (International Rescue) never used tyres on any of their craft (except FAB1)
and that was nigh-on 50 years ago!
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Zero
Sorry Dog

Scott Tracy tells me that Thunderbird 1 has wheels on its undercarriage.
 Terrible Weather - Terrible Driving - Dog
>>Scott Tracy tells me that Thunderbird 1 has wheels on its undercarriage.<<

FAB! - trust you to know that :)
 Terrible Weather - Again - Bromptonaut
It's back!!

Lashed down from small hours until around 11:30 when it eased to drizzle. Occasional flurries of sleet. Unusually it was back of house (east) getting the soaking.

Extensive water flows across the roads, including a muddy stream at one point. Lots of standing water in the dips on A5 between here and Towcester. Most drivers actually being sensible eg allowing alternate working along crown of road. Only a few numpties creating tidal waves.

What's it like your way.
 Terrible Weather - Again - Dog
= = = > www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20197064
 Terrible Weather - Again - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear Bromp ! Not very sorry to say it has been beautiful hereabouts today. Just got back from a forest/bikes/mud excursion. We had a picnic afterwards in not very warm but clear sunshine. Coldish but stunning in the trees and trails otherwise. I've developed a squeaky back disc brake on my bike. Can't for the life of me cure it. Think the wheel must have got out of true. Ah well, something to do if the rain gets here eh?

:-)
 Terrible Weather - Again - R.P.
Same here - beautiful late autumn day.
 Terrible Weather - Again - Zero
Unlike yesterday which was moslty a cracker sunny Autumn day, today down here wa s areal stinker. Very heavy rain for most of the night and day, and cold
 Terrible Weather - Again - No FM2R
29 Degrees C, blue skies, same as yesterday, same as tomorrow, same as 6 months from now. Live's tough.

And it'll be summer soon.
>> 29 Degrees C, blue skies, same as yesterday, same as tomorrow, same as 6 months
>> from now. Live's tough.
>>
>> And it'll be summer soon.

Are we jealous?

not in the slightest
 Terrible Weather - Again - Kevin
>Are we jealous?

>not in the slightest

Speak for yourself.
 Terrible Weather - Again - MD
>> 29 Degrees C, blue skies, same as yesterday, same as tomorrow, same as 6 months
>> from now. Live's tough.
>>
>> And it'll be summer soon.
>>
How's yer Diff or bearing bearing up?
 Terrible Weather - Again - Robin O'Reliant

>> a squeaky back disc brake on my bike. Can't for the life of me cure
>> it. Think the wheel must have got out of true. Ah well, something to do
>> if the rain gets here eh?
>>
>> :-)
>>
Nothing to do with the wheel going out of true Humph, it wouldn't effect the disc brake. Try a good clean of the disc, if that doesn't work then remove the pads and give the caliper a scrub.
 Terrible Weather - Again - Kevin
>Nothing to do with the wheel going out of true Humph, it wouldn't effect the disc brake.

It's probably not the bike that's squeaking either. He's no spring chicken you know.
 Terrible Weather - Again - Runfer D'Hills
Thank you for those kind words gentlemen. I suspect one of you has the truth of it !

:-)
 Terrible Weather - Again - -
Worked today, fully expected to get soaked tipping not far from Hump's neck of the woods, but it was a lovely day there.

Went past the duck pond on the Whitchurch Rd Nantwich, lovely Autum scene, and i went past quietly both ways on a trailing throttle in order to preserve the peace...;).
 Terrible Weather - Again - legacylad
Beautiful early morning weather in upper Ribblesdale. A very hard frost, wall to wall blue sky with snow on the 3 Peaks from yesterday. Train to Bingley, 6 mile walk on the towpath to Keighley, then a pub for each mile, followed by curry. A grand day out. And no Wensleydale cheese in sight!
 Terrible Weather - Again - rtj70
Roads early yesterday to south Wales were fairly good in terms of traffic. A few stretches where weather was quite wet and traffic behaved. A good run down with average speed around 64mph. Almost all motorways and I wasn't speeding. Indicated 80mph max but that's low 70's.

Similar coming back... except near junction 14 of the M6 traffic started moving over into lane 3 (into gaps that were not there). For a good 20 minutes there were a dozen cars little more than bumper to bumper at 60-70mph! I think this section upto j16 is bad for accidents and now I know why.

When I saw them starting to do this... someone moved into my braking space... I moved to the middle lane.
 Terrible Weather - Again - Bromptonaut
Agree with RR it's a disc or more likely pad issue. Discs seem to either work or fail unlike the multiple warnings and gradual loss of action from rim brakes.

One of our London > Brighton team in June last year had similar issue. Techs at Turners Hill had right part otherwise he'd have had an interesting descent off Ditchling.
Cracking day today, Sunny - Simpsons Sky, drive down to the Devils punchbowl, walk the dog round the bowl, coffee and lunch in the cafe, drive back - Super.

The cutting on the london side of the tunnel approach road has taken a break for freedom, nearly reaching the road. Gangs of engineers standing around looking at it and scratching heads.

Terrible Weather - Again - madf
Freezing yesterday. Did the Dovedale Dash.. mud, mud, glorious mud..

Sunny and cold today: just ideal for walking so did not. rested tired limbs...
Latest Forum Posts