Motoring Discussion > Driving on Tenerife: the road to Masca Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 6

Driving on Tenerife: the road to Masca - FocalPoint
Those of us who hire a car on holiday will use it to explore. On this, the second time I have been to Tenerife, we were keen to discover some of the less accessible picturesque parts of an island whose terrain is remarkably varied.

One of our expeditions was to the remote village of Masca, in the extreme NW. Starting from Puerto de la Cruz, we took the Autopista del Norte westwards and spent the late morning in Garachico, wandering about this attractive little seaside town, drinking coffee and eating lunch in a quaint restaurant off the main square. The Iglesia Santa Ana was good, too, especially the ecclesiastical museum.

From there the route to Masca took us up the steep hillside into the mountains, sometimes up inclines so steep that the hired Fiesta could not cope in second gear. (Small engine, no doubt, as it was very economical.) Eventually we turned off towards Masca itself.

This must rank as the most hair-raising drive I have ever done. The road climbs through some of the most precipitous and rugged terrain imaginable. The surface is occasionally bad, usually on hairpins where tyres have scrubbed at the surface. Width-wise it varies, but is a bit bigger than single track, mostly. My heart-stopping moment was reaching the descent to the village, with the road snaking away below, realising to my dismay that minibuses were on the way up towards us and thinking, well, yes, I suppose that's how they get the tourists here, the ones who don't have a car.

And then I realised that there were coaches too - full-size ones. Ones that had to make multi-point turns on the hairpins. Madness.

Fortunately we didn't meet one either on a hairpin or on a really narrow bit. And when we left, it was late afternoon and there were no more coaches on the way down. But what a place! An amazing location - the village strung out on a ridge of rock, with the ground falling away towards the sea behind. Well worth a visit.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 12:50
 Driving on Tenerife: the road to Masca - Dog
You'll have to take me with you next time FP, I know the place like the back of my foot,

We used to visit Masca quite orften when we lived in Tenerife, and I once approached the village from the direction you chose - while the road (if you can call it that) was closed due to to rock falls (great fun!)

Next time you visit that wonderful Island (my spiritual home) check out:

www.isle-of-tenerife.com/taganana/

and

www.spain-tenerife.com/UK/barranco.html

Loads more I could tell thee, when we go :)
Taganana - did it! And went on to Roque de las Bodegas - another terrific spot.

Didn't know about Barranco del Inferno, but in general we realised that one week wasn't long enough to do all that we we became aware the island has to offer - so we decided to go back next year.

This year we did a little of all the things we like to do: explore by car, walk and sunbathe. Next time we'll do a little more of each!
>>we realised that one week wasn't long enough to do all that we we became aware the island has to offer - so we decided to go back next year<<

3 months is about right - preferably Jan, Feb, and March.
 Driving on Tenerife: the road to Masca - Meldrew
I drove that road about 30 years ago before it was surfaced at all, but also pretty much before it had any traffic at all! I remember finding a little farmhouse/restaurant where we had the most wonderful rabbit casserole, served in a big crock pot.

If you are in the North of the island there is a very good parrot park which I see from its website has widened its scope a bit. www.loroparque.com/en/

The Bosch used to run excursions from Masca through the Barranco to the sea, you had to be ex 2 Para like me to complete the course of course,

When if you make it through the Barranco, you then had to swim out to an awaiting boat that took you back to base (or ICU)

You can see el Barranco here ~ goo.gl/6JVpQ
"Loads more I could tell thee, when we go :)"

Shouldn't that be "tell 'ee", now you're in Cornwall, my 'andsome?

Another place we share an interest in, it seems. I shall be down in Falmouth again, visiting my aunt, at the end of May/beginning of June (yes - THAT bank holiday weekend.)
Latest Forum Posts