Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Planet78 Replies: 12

Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Planet78
So, as per the title really. Fancy a change from the diesel Focus I've had for the last three years and I've been taken by the Passat CC. There are quite a few used examples about, but as I only cover about 8000 miles per year, with that made up of lots of short trips, I'm considering going for the 1.8 petrol engine. Not so many of those around.

My only concerns with it are the lack of a hatch so no more tip trips with bulky items, and only having 4 seats (is there actually a 5th seatbelt in the back?). Not very often we have more 4 in the car, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts from the assembled panel on anything I've not considered? They really are stunning looking cars I think.

Darren.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Iffy
I agree they look the part.

As you've already identified a 1.8 petrol as suitable, you've gone a long way to answering your question.

How much are you spending?

Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - WillDeBeest
Don't think we know anyone here with a Passat CC. If there is someone, he's never mentioned it.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Iffy
'He' has an obsolete model - the new ones are just CCs.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/cc-2012/
I'm looking at a budget of around £15,000 assuming I can chop in the Focus for around £8500. Seems to put me at reasonable mileage 09/59/10 models depending on the trim. I reckon I can live without the DSG auto so it's just a question of whether it is worth paying more for a GT over the standard model.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Bagpuss
Great car the Passat CC. I've had a few as rental cars and, if there'd been a 6 cylinder diesel, I would most likely have taken one as a company car. I love the styling, the interior has a very high feel good factor and it's very good to drive, especially the DSG versions. Oh, and it has frameless windows.

In terms of practicality, the boot is large and the back seats fold down. There is a 5 seat version which costs extra.

Achilles heel for me is the engine range, for what is supposed to be a premuim product. The petrol engines are nicer than the diesels, especially the 2.0T, with lots of torque and smoothness, but of course corresponding fuel consumption, and 4motion is not available on 4 cylinder petrol models. The V6 4motion is a peach and a great secondhand bargain, though I gather you can easily get the 3.6 litre VR6 engine to conume Super Unleaded at the rate of 20mpg or so.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Runfer D'Hills
All very well, but I'd always be thinking it was like a pair of Marks and Spencers jeans. Probably quite good quality but a bit... well...you know...not quite the thing. Better to have a proper Passat somehow. No nonsense, businesslike, not pretending to be something it clearly isn't, if you see what I mean?

:-)
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Clk Sec
Not cheap, are they? A new one is likely to cost more than an A4.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Bagpuss
>> All very well, but I'd always be thinking it was like a pair of Marks and Spencers jeans...

Actually the CC is surprisingly different to the normal Passat to drive, maybe down to the lower centre of gravity. It does feel a class above. Well, except for the engines of course.

I guess the "real thing" in terms of 4 door Coupes would be a Merc CLS or the forthcoming BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe. Neither of those are quite in my price range though.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, fair enough, me too in truth. Dunno, just can't quite get my head round cars like that. Don't quite get what they're for. Look ok for sure but don't deliver somehow. For me anyway.

Each to their own I guess.

:-)
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - rtj70
The 1.8 (turbo) is only available in the base trim. So doesn't look as good (IMO) as the GT with the larger wheels, blacked out windows, etc. Newer CC's did come with five seats when the model was revised but they might be too new for the budget.

Later CC GT's came with Nappa leather as standard. I think the GT always came with adaptive suspension too, parking sensors, cruise control.... and the base model didn't.
Hmmm ... I didn't realise the 1.8 petrol only comes in base trim. That would explain why I've not seen any GTs listed. I may miss the reversing sensors especially in a bigger car like this. It's amazing how quickly you come to rely on them.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Buying a Passat CC - best version to go for? - rtj70
Don't know when in 2011 the revised 5 seat Passat CC was available. Before that it was a strictly four seater. Now it has a headrest and seatbelt for the middle rear seat. But it's not a seat you'd want anyone to use on long journeys; The outer two seats have sculpted bases so the middle seat is not really for adults IMO and especially not for anything but short journeys.

I would certainly check out the revised models. The Passat CC GT went up in price by £1500 but the options came to £3000.

And the new VW CC has gone up a lot compared to the Passat CC. The equivalent model to the one I chose has gone up by at several thousand.
Latest Forum Posts