Motoring Discussion > Bi-fuel vehicles (LPG/Petrol) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 4

Bi-fuel vehicles (LPG/Petrol) - Dog
I'm toying with the idea of chopping the Lancer in for a Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 ltr Bi-fuel.

I see that LPG is around 60p per litre cheaper that unleaded, but that the MPG on LPG is around 20% less than unleaded, so still a win there.

I have Autogas outlets locally so no problem buying the stuff.

I'm getting myself prepared for ice age 2012/13 you see, I managed quite successfully this winter with the fitment of winter tyres, whether that had anything to do with the fact we didn't have any snow or ice up here over the winter period, I don't know but - you can't be too careful, can you.

So, what do y'all reckon - is LPG the way to go, man?
 Bi-fuel vehicles (LPG/Petrol) - -
Good choice of car that D, but do check the exhaust as they rust, and look substantial and expensive enough to warrant a SS aftermarket job.

HJ rates them highly, rare car, one of SWMBO's mates has one (without LPG and reckons on 25mpg) that is extremely good, i recently asked a question here about it seeing as i could see lots of suspension rust underneath, her garage have now underbody waxoyled it.

I wouldn't turn one down, but a good underbody inspection is needed, the car i mention was never hosed off underneath and dried winter salt has taken its toll, a well cared for example would be a very good used choice IMO.

LPG wise, i have no regrets at all and depending on the VED of a future car i would rather have decent LPG with proper auto than a modern Diesel equivalent especially if it has DPF and DMF, i don't mind £250 VED up to a point but i draw the line at £450 simply as it will kill the value of the car ever more quickly as it ages.

I don't know if the standard LPG conversion comes with a flashlube in the Outlander, it might be worth doing some research on valve seat regression for the model (though i've heard nothing) and consider fitting a flashlube to a future purchase.

I have flashlube on my MB even though its considered not essential for them, fitted by the converter, the kit is around £100 all in and simply fitment (vacuum fed), bought carefully over the net i bought 5 litres of flashlube for about £65 which should last me between one and two years at current usage, small price to pay for some extra peace of mind, like Millers...;)

Running costs...my MB does around 20 to 25 mpg on petrol depending on my right foot, unless i belt it which can see 16/17 mpg!, my local LPG indy has just gone up from 66 to 68 ppl, and i get around 250 brisk miles for £35 ish give or take a couple either way, so probably similar to what you could expect.

My ideal car usage for the forseeable is LPG until i find the right Toyota hybrid, i really do not want modern Diesel again.

edit...if your present Mitsi is good why not convert it, unless its DI which is a big no no.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 11 Mar 12 at 10:42
Thanks gb - I'll check out that valve seat regression, just in case.

Many rear engined Skoda's use to suffer from that, I often checked the valve clearances when tuning them,
and there weren't any clearance :)

The insurance group for the Outlander is 30.

Euro Emissions Standard 4.

CO2 Emissions 226 g/km.

VED Band K so £250 as you state.

I would consider converting the Lancer to Bi-fuel - especially with the crazy petrol prices of late, but I quite fancy a ( I loathe the term SUV/Crossover/ 4x4 I could live with, so lets just say) high riding vehicle :)

Bi-fuel vehicles (LPG/Petrol) - Fullchat
......I managed quite successfully this winter with the fitment of winter tyres, whether that had anything to do with the fact we didn't have any snow or ice up here over the winter period, I don't know but - you can't be too careful, can you.

You know that was the reason. Same law that dictates that I ran a 4X4 for 6 years with little in the way of snow and the year I get rid we get the worst winter for a long time :-[
>>You know that was the reason<<

I'm convinced of it - last winter (and probably the one before) this country un-gritted lane was akin to the Cresta Run!
Latest Forum Posts