Motoring Discussion > Automatic Garage doors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 9

Automatic Garage doors - busbee
I am about to buy an up-and-over automatic garage door.

The sales company offer only Hormann door openers. So far, the Promatic one has been pencilled in -- about £250. There is also a Hormann Superamatic version for £300.

I know door openers have reliability problems. My neighbour's one (make?) lasted only a few years. He was supposed to be able to get in after a failure, but in the event he was not able to and it cost him another door! -- I am having a side door built in, just in case.

Any thoughts about reliability? There was a short discussion some time ago but I could not find it. -- I am limited to a single piece door, incidentally, as there is not enough headroom for a sectioned or roller one.
 Automatic Garage doors - R.P.
I had a roller door (I'll remember the make after I've posted !) - it worked well for 12 years with no problems at all - totally reliable, had to use the manual over-ride once when the power failed. Would fit another tomorrow.
 Automatic Garage doors - Old Navy
I have a Hormann sectional door with a Supramatic opener. A vast improvement on the up and over door and liftmaster opener that it replaced. My theory is buy cheap, get crap, and eventually pay twice. The advantage with a Hormann sectional door is that it can be supplied insulated and there is no "out swing" so you can park within inches of it on both sides. The Supramatic opener also has a built in automatic mechanical locking system
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Mar 12 at 18:53
Hi O. N.

I can't have a sectional door because of too low an inside roof height. Or a roll-up type. It has to be side guide channels. There is also a reason why I can't raise the roof height. As it is I have only 25mm of spare height above the minimum for an up & over door -- Hormann. The door + Promatic operator is £1197. Not exactly cheap -- but then it is 10' wide. I wondered about Supramatic advantage.

RP. I wonder what the auto bit was?
Last edited by: busbee on Mon 12 Mar 12 at 22:11
All the dimensions required for the doors are on the Hormann website, a sectional door does not need any more height clearance than an up and over door, and it runs on side tracks. The advantage of a Supramatic is it is more powerful and faster than the Promatic. My Insulated sectional door, Supramatic operator, two remote controls, two push button controls, (one for each side of the door), and a control panel located at the door into the house with a push button, light switch button, and remote control lock out button, £1500 all fitted and the old door disposed of.
 Automatic Garage doors - R.P.
I was using the word "manual" in the more traditional sense i.e. manual work, certainly felt like that !
 Automatic Garage doors - L'escargot
We have a Henderson Screwdrive (operating an 8 ft wide up-and-over door) which is about 17 years old and is still going strong. The screwed rod needs greasing about every two months but that's easy to do with an aerosol can of grease. We've had minor problems with having to replace the limit switches but that's easy to do. We've also had to have a new wall mounted control box (which I fitted) and a new hand-held remote control. All maintenance/repairs I've so far been able to do myself. In the event of a power failure I can disconnect the door from the Screwdrive by just pulling down on a piece of string/rope and then I can open and close the door by hand. All in all I'm very pleased with it. tinyurl.com/7yv84yu
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 13 Mar 12 at 09:48
O N,
. Thanks for your replies and those of others.

"a sectional door does not need any more height clearance than an up and over door, and it runs on side tracks."

I would have preferred a sectioned one but am being told , not enough height.

When I previously enquired it was 2115 min for a sectioned one and 2050 min for a single piece one. I have 2075 at the front and 2056 at 2 metres in, due to slightly sloping roof.

I have just asked again and been told not enough height, and the frame was mentioned.

I did look at local demo model, make not noted, and that had a middle rail above the door that needed the extra height.

Automatic Garage doors - apm
We fitted a Chamberlain electric remote opener to our existing door, fairly easy job and no problems at all. Cost about £110 on ebay. Chain driven, so very strong, but not the quietest.

HTH,

Alex.
>> I would have preferred a sectioned one but am being told , not enough height.
>>
>>
Sorry, I forgot that the sectional door frame sits behind the aperture and not in it.
Latest Forum Posts