Motoring Discussion > Merc 1st service Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 70

Merc 1st service - Runfer D'Hills
My E250d estate has just been for its first service. Just short of 17 thousand miles when it "told" me it wanted some tlc. Oh and Swiss Tony was right about the injector loom mod they did that too.

Anyway, the nearest dealer is 20 miles away so they offered to collect the car from my house free of charge and deliver it back. I could get used to this !

So, nice chap turns up in an A class, leaves that on my drive this morning, takes mine away and brings it back this afternoon, fettled, washed and valeted. Even gives me a tin of Mercedes branded sweets along with my invoice which I've settled over the phone.

Right then, how much do you think that cost ? A virtual coconut for the nearest answer !

:-)
 Merc 1st service - Zero
£147
 Merc 1st service - Clk Sec
£233
 Merc 1st service - -
£345 i reckons, got to be £100 for the oil alone the way they price it by the litre.
>>£147

It's not a Focus...
 Merc 1st service - Focusless
>> >>£147
>>
>> It's not a Focus...

I wish! :)
One of you has wobbled the coconut but not quite knocked it over...

Merc 1st service - Skip
£365 ?
 Merc 1st service - Robin O'Reliant
£187.77.
I think I should probably at least offer Clk Sec a consolation goldfish...

£255
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
270 pounds !
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
It's mine !
I'd prefer a coconut. Water shortage and all that...
Thought I'd reply before you edit RP !

Edit - crickey you were quick !

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 15 Mar 12 at 20:20
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
Cheap though - My BMW bike went for a service on Saturday last - the menu price was 260 quid - I got it for 204 on a special offer at the excellent Williams BMW site in Manchester - well worth the extra fuel to avoid Chester Motorrad.
Aye, but you'll know you're getting the treatment if next time they send a bloke on a moped from Manchester to pick it up and bring it back !
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
Well, The BMW SatNav head (detachable from the bike's power source and antenna) failed on my old bike whilst on holiday - reported it to Williams (where I got the bike from) they insisted on coming to collect the bike (200 mile round trip) in a van - I tried to negotiate i.e. I'll pack it up in the box and post it....but they wouldn;t have it. Turns out the mount was fine and the head unit was broken....replaced under warranty
 Merc 1st service - swiss tony
>> My E250d estate has just been for its first service. Just short of 17 thousand
>> miles when it "told" me it wanted some tlc. Oh and Swiss Tony was right
>> about the injector loom mod they did that too.

See, I am right sometimes..... ;-)
Bet you'd have won the coconut too if you'd have looked in earlier Tony !

On a serious note, if it's going to go 17k between services then it wasn't too steamy I thought. Half expected it to be a bit more to be honest. Years ago I had a 5 series BMW and I think I remember that being more than that even then to service. Maybe they're just softening me up for the next one !

The sweets are nice.
>> On a serious note, if it's going to go 17k between services then it wasn't
>> too steamy I thought. Half expected it to be a bit more to be honest.
Maybe they're just softening me up for the next one !
>>
>> The sweets are nice.

Be aware that there are 'mandatory' items on top of the listed services.
ie, things like air and fuel filters, brake fluid change, and gearbox service (oil and filter) , are done on an age / mileage basis, and not always quoted for at time of booking the service.
IF the same dealer has done all the services they they SHOULD be on top of it, but can become an unexpected addition.
Please note, unless these mandatory items are done, the (virtual) service book will not get a stamp.

Many of our customers say that our coffee is better than the towns coffee shops.... as well as being the cheapest (free to customers NOT staff).
We don't do sweets, biscuits here!
Could be swayed by the coffee and biscuits but you'd not pick up from Cheshire would you?

Merc 1st service - Boxsterboy
Beware that the next service will be more like £500, but then like all new Mercs it'll be a company expense, no?
Naturlich.
 Merc 1st service - -
ST will know better, but i seem to recall its C services when things start to get pricey...about 40kish?

The price for this first service was better than i expected.
>> ST will know better, but i seem to recall its C services when things start
>> to get pricey...about 40kish?
>>
>> The price for this first service was better than i expected.
>>
Thats correct GB.
Also remember Mercs are fairly heavy on brakes - both pads and disc's.

Humph, I do have friends up in your neck of the woods, but it is a little out of our area.....
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
Would they be mock Tudor woods ?
 Merc 1st service - Zero
Cheshire Oaks I think.
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
More likely ! :-)
>> Would they be mock Tudor woods ?
>>
LOL, down here 'neck of the woods' means area or as Regan (and Dog?) would say 'Manor'.

Spose it could be a mock tudor manor house....
More of a gaff really.

Merc 1st service - Zero
I'll have two sausages, two eggs, two rashers of bacon, black pudding, two slices of toast and a mug of tea please love.

Oh GAFF you say!
 Merc 1st service - Armel Coussine
>> I'll have two sausages, two eggs, two rashers of bacon, black pudding, two slices of toast and a mug of tea please love.

Cholesterol heaven... don't forget the statin...

God you corporate and semi-corporate motorists almost make me envious sometimes... When I worked for a company they used to let me have pool cars sometimes. They were always spotless and impeccably maintained and full of petrol. You went down to the underground garage and the transport bloke tossed you the keys. Then you thrashed the Super Minx or Austin 1800 round the country for a couple of days and gave it back up to its eyeballs in mud. It was great.

They never gave me a Jag or Zodiac or anything 6 cylinder though. They were all bagged by chaps senior to me.
 Merc 1st service - Dog
>>More of a gaff really<<

'She' must be the gaffer then.

:}
 Merc 1st service - legacylad
Isn't Regan that bird in the Scottish play? There were some moveable woods in that I recall.
 Merc 1st service - WillDeBeest
Not quite - that's Lady Macbeth. Regan is more blasted heath than moving woods.
Thanks WdB
Its a long time since I sat my O levels and I'm getting my plays mixed up. Its all downhill from here, as Franz Klammer once said.
Glad to be of service, LL. }:---)

I was lucky with my O-level Eng Lit. The other half of my year got one of the peculiar dreary comedies - All's Well..., I think. We had Romeo and Juliet, which is short, pacy, violent and rude - perfect for the 15-year-old attention span. I can still quote big chunks of it today.
 Merc 1st service - PeterS
>> but then like all new Mercs it'll be a company expense, no?

Not all unfortunately :-( Though I did buy a 4 year service plan with mine (which undoubtedly excludes consumables like wipers/pads/discs) on the basis that it was cheaper than the current cost of the first 4 services, and I can only see that cost going one way ;-)
Back to business. ST, what's this about MBs being heavy on brakes? I can understand that an 1,800kg car takes a lot of stopping, but is it just a size thing, or something about the way people drive them?

And - pardon a Me Me Me moment - should I be asking about the brakes if I'm buying a 30-40,000-mile E?
 Merc 1st service - Bill Payer
>> My E250d estate has just been for its first service. Just short of 17 thousand
>> miles when it "told" me it wanted some tlc.

Is it new? If so, can't understand why it didn't come up at 15K miles - they've been on fixed service intervals of 15K/12mths for several years.

Also, if you're going to use dealers for servicing then have a look at the MB service plans. Although personally I think you can do better by haggling with the dealers, not everyone, or every dealer, is up for that.
I'm not sure it is exactly 15k miles BP - I've done around 6,500 and IIRC the car says it's 9.something k miles until it needs a service. Agreed on the service plan BTW; I went for it on the basis that it was c. 30% cheaper than the 'rack' rates for the 4 services, and that the cost of the services was only going to go up... I also wasn't confident I could (or could be bothered...) to haggle that much or more off every time!!
I asked the question Bill and the answer from the dealer was that the car would "decide" when it needed a service. Averagely at 15k or thereabouts but that its little brain would work out the details. ( Yes it's "new" by the by, ex demonstrator, new to me mid Oct with 200 miles on it but first registered last July)

Peter - Might be worth checking that loom mod thing? Sucks teeth...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 17:16
>> Peter - Might be worth checking that loom mod thing? Sucks teeth...
>>
>> :-)
>>

Well sir, they all do that y'see.... ;-) All good so far though; quicker, quieter and more economical than in November when it was delivered. Only thing is, the weather's been quite nice recently and, unlike the Audi, the roof doesn't go down :-(
Know what you mean at one level anyway Peter. Every car I've had for donkey's years had at least a sunroof. Even the Qashqai had a non-opening but "panoramic" glass top. The Merc doesn't have either. Shouldn't grumble I know but it is pretty gloomy in there. Wouldn't matter if I was only using the car for a short commute or something but I'm in the thing for a long time every week. Can't flick debris out of the roof at tailgaters either.

It's a hard life.

Merc 1st service - a900ss
As an aside, what is the engine like in that car?

I'm in the process of choosing a new co car and it will probably be a 5 or A6 (can't get an E) but I can get a C250Cdi Estate so i'd like to know what you think of the engine.

Thanks.
Well, I think it's great. Very torquey, plenty of power delivered smoothly. Very economical, I'm getting 46 mpg on runs in an E series estate. Never felt deprived.

Kept pace with an er...um...enthusiastically...driven Bentley Continental on a late-ish 10 mile punctuated by roundabouts dual carriageway sprint not 24 hours ago...

Merc 1st service - Lygonos
Anyone want a stab at the cost of a first service (12.5k mile) for the Shogun?

300 smackers
 Merc 1st service - -
>> Anyone want a stab at the cost of a first service (12.5k mile) for the
>> Shogun?

£240.
£430 including VAT.

That was haggled down from £500.

It would appear Mitsubishi gave the Shogun 12.5k intervals at least in part by fitting a 9.8 litre sump.

First service includes stripping the gubbins off the top of the engine and checking/adjusting the tappets (which were fine, of course) and a box of gaskets for putting it back together again.

kin L
n deed
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
Serviced my X1 for five years for half that !
Jeez. My BMW 'technician' friend does the annual service on my 330 for £40, although I supply the oil & filter. And I get an official stamp in t'book. Anything untoward he rings me, although so far so good.
If I'd bought the Shogun from a dealer directly I could have bought the first 3 services for 750 quid or so.

As I bought it through a broker I couldn't get that deal.

However, I'm about to trading it in for almost as much as I paid just over a year ago so I can live with the uber service cost.

Not quite as good as my Forester that depreciated about £2500 from new in 2.5yrs/20k miles but 2008 was a very good year to be a cash buyer (and a very bad one for Subaru with a field of 2.5 Turbo Fozzes to get rid of)!
>> Serviced my X1 for five years for half that !

That's right - none of the service cost was rolled up in the purchase price.

;-)
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
It was an ex-BMW fleet car - around 6 grand off list - they honoured the service deal as it had a known history.
Excellent - I did ask a local dealer if they could sell me the service plan for my car but no dice :-)

My Shogun was under 29 grand when I ordered it (36 list), and a month later Mitsubishi upped list to £38.5k - fabulous first year depreciation if anyone was clever enough to have paid list for it.

Have used it as a 7-seater on a handful of occasions and it has been great for carting my bike around, but for going away at weekends 6-up the FRV is actually more practical and handles better around the twisties.

So it's getting chopped in for a warm hatch.
 Merc 1st service - R.P.
So what you getting....? Or is that a "my next car" thread ?
Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6 petrol) - delivery date may be slipping if demand higher than expected.

Really is like a modern-day 205 GTi - 136hp, 1045kg - nice overdrive 6th for longer journeys.

Our chums in govt changed the rules for self-employed cars too - over 160g/km can only claim 10% write-down per year, vs 20% for below that - SSS is 147 I believe, while the Shogun is 224.

FRV's a decent enough load lugger with the rear seats folded so the Shogun is a bit surplus to requirements (was fun to give it a whirl for a year though).
 Merc 1st service - rtj70
>> Shogun is a bit surplus to requirements (was fun to give it a whirl for a year though).

Pocket money for a GP I'd have thought :-)

Joking!
 Merc 1st service - Dog
>>Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6 petrol)<<

S'nice jamjar m8 - 5 star NCAP as well.
 Merc 1st service - Bill Payer
>> £430 including VAT.
>>
>> That was haggled down from £500.
>>
>> It would appear Mitsubishi gave the Shogun 12.5k intervals at least in part by fitting
>> a 9.8 litre sump.
>>
>> First service includes stripping the gubbins off the top of the engine and checking/adjusting the
>> tappets (which were fine, of course) and a box of gaskets for putting it back
>> together again.
>>
Not qute the same league but my daughter has a Mitsubishi Colt and servicing it has been a cause of real angst! I do like the way Mitsubishi include everything that needs doing within the price, even things like brake fluid change, but the scope of the work seems to change every year so you're never quite sure what what they're quoting for, or what your getting.
 Merc 1st service - mikeyb
Blimy - quite surprised how much some people are paying for servicing.

The C5's first and second service were £180 each (went to a small family owned dealer who has been there since the dawn of time, but used to be a Rover dealership) the slightly nearer but poor city dealer wanted £250 for the first, and didnt bother checking for the second.
Last edited by: mikeyb on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 09:17
>> Blimy - quite surprised how much some people are paying for servicing.

Me, too. Best leave the executive cars and their maintenance to the forum plutocrats like Humph.

I'd rather have a utilitarian car and a pension ! Nice, well maintained M3 Mondeo estate would do...

Let me have your address and I'll send on the gaffer tape.
:)
 Merc 1st service - Zero
lancer and index linked

That'l do nicely
No gloating, please.
Quite so !

Only thing about being retired which I'll not regret missing out on is the beige clothes and Countdown ! I'll be too busy selling the Big Issue or something to be getting into that.

Merc 1st service - -
>>It would appear Mitsubishi gave the Shogun 12.5k intervals at least in part by fitting
>> a 9.8 litre sump.

£430 negotiated down from £500!!!.
Blimey Reilly, the Hilux had a 7.5 litre sump, Toyota charged £170 for the first service, and about £270 for the second including brake strip and axle fluids, free use courtesy car too, Landcruisers a little more but not much.

Mitsi might just be taking the proverbial out of their customers, always wondered why there are so few Shoguns around when compared with the more expensive Landcruiser 3 litre.

12.5k miles is quite a lot for Japanese 4x4's, Toyota still run 9k miles for oil changes, and the same 9k in Oz where its kilometres.
Latest Forum Posts